BootsnAll Travel Network



Tuxedo Anyone?

After spending the last few days inside we all had a bit of cabin fever, so when Math lessons were finished we all piled into our trusty Mazda and took off over the mountain to see some men in tuxedos: the penguins.

The road over the mountain is called Chapman’s Peak. It is a beautiful drive with cliffs falling precipitously into the ocean hundreds of feet below. Huge rocks and boulders line the steep walls across the road from the ocean. Years ago one too many boulders rolled off the mountain and onto the road. The South African government decided to close the road and come up with a way to prevent the inevitable falling rocks from injuring drivers. The road was closed for over a year and just reopened in the past six months.

The solution they came up with must have been inspired by the circus. While some areas have the traditional mesh over the rocks, other areas have a 45 degree angle mesh catch that juts out over the road. It is a huge steel net that will keep any lose boulders from rolling down. The structures are strikingly beautiful. It’s modern art on the cliff face.

After a great lunch overlooking the boats in the harbor we set out to find our tuxedo-wearing friends. The African penguin, previously known as the “jackass penquin, ” came to this area in the 80’s. I bet they were happy to get rid of that old name. No one knows why they picked Boulders Beach to set up their 4000 plus colony, but they seem content to stay awhile.

At first the local residents thought the penguins were great and encouraged them to mill around. Now the penguins are so comfortable in the homes and yards of local residents that they have to shoo them off the porches. We’ve never seen penguin crossing signs on the roads before. They obviously need them in Boulder’s Beach.

The penguins were fun to watch. Some were busy guarding their nests, head to toe. Others were sunning themselves on the huge boulders in the sea. Others were playing with each other, pecking one another in the face. Mothers preened their babies fur while lying in the sand. A few spread out their fins and let out huge yawns. I guess us people are pretty boring to watch.

Some of the penguins were molting. This is when they shed their outer feathers. It looks like part of their bodies are fluffy and the other matted down and oily. It’s an awkward in between stage and definitely not the makings of a good hair day.

At the museum we learned a lot about more African penguins. When penguins lay eggs, they normally have one or two babies. Once born, the parents take alternating two and half day shifts taking care of the babies. One parent sits on the nest while the other goes out hunting for food. The hunter comes back and feeds the babies regurgitated fish. Yum. The first baby to hatch gets the majority of the food. The younger one gets whatever is left. The second born has a measily 10% survival rate.
Penguins eat fish and can dive up to 140 meters for food. They swim much faster underneath the water then they do at the surface due to the shape of their fins. They like to travel in groups so they can ward off predators, safety in numbers.

It was so nice to get out and enjoy the animals again. Africa is blessed with such variety of unique and special animals found very few other places on the planet. Any animal lover should consider a trip here.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *