BootsnAll Travel Network



I shouldn’t have tempted fate

I’ve been waiting for a package my dad sent me to arrive in Chiang Mai (it came today dad!), so while I waited I decided to take a $2.50 bus ride up to the “paradise” of Pai for 2 days instead to play with the elephants. The elephants were amazing. I rode one bareback for 2 hours and then played with her in the river. Yes, elephants really do like to spray you with their trunks! And she liked to duck down and roll to try and knock me off her back into the water… to bad for her I can hold on to an elephants ears with remarkable strength. If you ever get the chance to play with an elephant in the water, do it! Truly an experience of a lifetime. Pictures to come!

True story: Yesterday, on the bus leaving Pai, I realized that I hadn’t gotten sick yet on this trip (except for a fever one night in China). This made me very happy, beating my brother who got sick on his first day in China. Smug, I wrote it down in my journal: “Given what I’ve been doing on this trip, not being too careful about what I eat, etc, I must have an immune system of steel to not be sick. I’m impressive!” I got to the Chiang Mai bus station, found a new hostel (my last one sucked), got a room and sat down to eat chicken in coconut milk. Then came the nausea. And it all started- an epically miserable night full of throwing up once an hour, fitfully tossing in bed, not being able to sleep, and somehow having vivid illusions of being chased through alley ways by giants. I couldn’t even keep down water. And I was the other kind of sick, too- you can guess. I’ve kept down toast, but I’m still feeling pretty terrible. And it’s all because I had to go ahead and gloat about my immune system.



Tags: ,

One Response to “I shouldn’t have tempted fate”

  1. Dad Says:

    Great post Anna. It really made me laugh. Hopefully you’re feeling better now too. I want to go play with the elephants myself.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply