BootsnAll Travel Network



There’s a monster in the garden

There is something very strange going on in Acton. Several nights now I’ve heard strange noises outside my window very late at night. One night recently I was woken up by someone making a noise as if they were calling a cat (there is a cat that hangs around nextdoor). I lay in bed, ready to fall back to sleep, when I heard one of the strangest noises I’ve ever heard in my life. I wouldn’t even know how to begin describing it. I wish I did. It was sort of like someone trying violently to get something out of the back of their throat, and also had a bit of zombie-speak thrown in for good measure. However you may imagine it, just know that it was utterly and completely disturbing. I wrote it off as someone coming home drunk from the pub, but then it happened again. And it happened again after that. It’s happened about three times now and I fully expect to hear it again some night soon. I was woken up by the cat call at about 2:45 this morning and I waited to see if the monster sound would follow. Nothing. Then I heard the cat call again. I wanted to see who/what was making the noise, so I sat up and peeked through the blinds; there was moisture on my window and I couldn’t see a thing. It was too cold out to open the window and investigate further, so I went back to sleep. The monster mystery will have to be solved another night.

I’ve been quite busy lately, what with the monster outside my window and whatnot. Last weekend turned out quite nice with Jim coming down for a visit and all. Friday night started off really nice with Kelly and Mark meeting Kevin and me in town for a few drinks after work. It was nice to have a chance to hang out with Kel – it felt like it had been ages since I’d last seen her! We’ve been missing each other a lot lately, but now that Mark is in Thailand for three weeks we’ll have plenty of time to hang out again.

Saturday was a sad day. My dad called me around lunchtime and told me he had some bad news. My cat, Jasmine, had to be put to sleep last Thursday. I was wrecked. Jasmine was the first cat that was actually my pet and not anyone else’s. I still remember when my mom took my brother and me to Boondock Road in the middle of nowehere to pick out kittens. She’d been the best cat ever, even though she was a bit neurotic, and I miss her so much. So that afternoon I went through about half a roll of tissue, but managed to pull myself together by the time anyone came over later that evening. That night Kelly, Jim, Kevin, and I went out to Ealing and we made a toast to Jasmine. How am I supposed to be a crazy cat lady without a cat, please tell me. I’m going to be the worst cat lady ever.

This week, so far, has been pretty laid back. Kevin took me out to a restaurant in Chinatown Tuesday night and introduced me to aromatic crispy duck. I’d had duck before and wasn’t very impressed by it, but, I have to say, this stuff was delicious. I’ve always liked Chinese food, but I loved this duck. It was a very nice night all around. Tonight I was supposed to be on a pub quiz team with a few other people on my project team here at Which?, but I think that isn’t going to happen after all. Probably best though, because I really would just like a quiet night in with some DVDs, a bath, and maybe some tea with peanut butter biscuits. Yep, I’m sold.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *