BootsnAll Travel Network



Monkey!

Life is going pretty well for me lately, if I do say so. My job is going well, I now have a TV at my house, and so far this morning I’ve had two giant cups of coffee and a mug of tea. I’m freakin’ wired.

My new job is pretty cool. I’ve been working at Which? magazine for a little over a week now, and it’s been really fantastic. I’m in love with the location—right around the corner from Regent’s Park and a twelve-minute walk to Oxford Street shopping, which I’ve already taken advantage of during a lunch break last week (and I have a lovely black velvet jacket to show for it). The people here are fun and we have a big window looking out onto a tree-filled courtyard between buildings. Technically, I’m a copywriter; I work on the Which? Internet site, doing design-related stuff and yesterday we started doing more editorial stuff. My resume is very excited about that, let me tell you. I’m just happy that it’s steady work, at least until the end of November. Having worked on Web projects before, though, I’m pretty much counting on this thing running past schedule. Fingers crossed.

In other news, Kelly and I took ourselves on a mini-holiday this past weekend to Northampton. It was nice seeing everyone. We joked with Kerry that we were like Herpes—we go away, then we come back again when you least expect it. I don’t think JP understood what I meant, though, when we were leaving and I told him that we’d be making our venereal reappearance again soon.

Kelly always said I was like an old lady when we were still in school back in Orlando. She’d call me up to see if I wanted to hang out, and I’d have to tell her I was already in bed—at 10:30. It wasn’t my fault though, I had to be up by 6:15, then it was to the gym, to class, to work, then back home in time to hack out the night’s homework and maybe, if I was lucky, catch an episode of Futurama or Sex and the City. I’ve been toeing the line of old-lady-ish-ness for a while now, but I think I may well have crossed it now.

I’ve taken up knitting.

It started weeks ago when I had just got home from my summer trip and I had three weeks or so of nothingness until I flew over to the UK. My sister and my mom had taken up crocheting over the summer to pass the hours before they went back to school/work in August and so my sister taught me how to wield a hook. Two weeks later I had a blanket, and not a bad blanket it was. After that came a scarf for Kelly’s birthday, and then I bought a book, some needles and yarn, and set my sights on knitting. I was hooked. All the times I’d been in a store and thought, “that top is nice, but if I had designed it I’d do it this way,” I could now actually do it. Maybe I couldn’t knit a top yet per se, but I did manage to turn out an iPod cozy. After that it was a scarf for my friend JP, which I just gave him this past weekend when I was in Northampton. It sounds a bit sad, but I was so ready to start something new, I went down to my local knitting store and picked out yarn and new needles with the same excitement a redneck has at a K-Mart bluelight special. During my lunch break I’ve been surreptitiously look at knitting patterns and designs online, and I’ve found my next project—a knitted, stuffed monkey. Updates may or may not follow. You just never know.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *