BootsnAll Travel Network



Heading south for the summer…and evey season after that

After the 2004 hurricane season I swore I would never again spend another one living in Florida. All the waiting in line at the gas pump, fighting for ice in the supermarket, and evacuation gridlock on the Interstate (not to mention the hole in my kitchen ceiling) was enough to send me packing off overseas, ready to trade the Florida sunshine for England’s notoriously overcast skies. And now, after only a one year hiatus, I find myself not only back in Florida, but heading to southerly beaches–and a frontrow seat for hurricane season 2006. But, good news is…

I have a job!!!

After much legwork and anxious anticipation, I have finally convinced someone that I can actually do something. Take THAT Amazon.co.uk and lady who didn’t like my vomit story! On June 5th I’ll be starting as a Courseware Developer with Citrix Systems in Fort Lauderdale, a company that provides its employees with a limitless supply of Diet Coke, among other beverages–words cannot express my happiness about this perk!

It was all a bit of a happy accident that this job even came to be. I was on my way out of the UCF job fair when I happened to make eye contact with one of the recruiters at the Citrix booth. My feet were absolutely killing me and I was dying to leave, but I felt guilty for leaving without having given very many resumes away, so I reluctantly stopped by to see what it was all about. They happened to be recruiting English majors for courseware development and so I talked to the guy for a while, gave him my resume, and left feeling that after hours of wasting my time with people trying to recruit me to sell insurance, real estate, hamburgers, etc. that I had a snowball’s chance in Hell of getting a job from that fair.

The Citrix people called me back that same evening and arranged for me to have a screening interview over the phone the next afternoon. That went well, and from there I was called for a formal telephone interview the following Monday, and after that I received a call to invite me down to meet in person. The lady setting everything up on the phone with me was very nice, and asked if I’d be flying or driving down. I thought that was kind of odd, because why on earth would I pay who-knows-how-much for a flight when I could drive in just a few hours. She then went on to tell me she was setting me up in a hotel and the company would reimburse me for gas, hotel, etc. I was absolutely floored! I don’t get free things. EVER. I don’t get free flight upgrades, I don’t win free movie tickets…I don’t even get drinks bought for me when I go out (and it’s not because I’m ugly you jerks who are thinking it :D). Free stuff for moi? I was ready to sign up right then and there!

Kelly went down with me and we stayed in this super nice hotel right next to where I had to go for the interview. It was pretty swanky by my standards, with a gorgeous lobby and an atrium with a waterfall complete with fish and turtles. I could have lived without the steel drum guy playing Jimmy Buffet all night, however.

I’d never done a full-day interview before. I had no idea what to expect, but I was a little nervous about being commandeered for 11 hours. At the same time I was intrigued. When I showed up Friday morning I was happily surprised to find out I wouldn’t be under a bright light all day being asked about my extracurricular activities during college. The first thing we did was go out to lunch in South Beach! Two women on the team took another girl who was applying for a different position and me to Miami to a trendy cafe on Ocean Drive. It was so bizarre to be there, to be honest. I’d been there just a few weeks before, walking down the street holding hands with Kevin, and then there I was…sitting at a table with strangers for a job interview. It’s amazing how things change so quickly.

The rest of the day was spent going over benefits, meeting people, interviewing, enjoying complimentary Diet Coke, and having dinner with some of the team in downtown Fort Lauderdale near Las Olas at a very posh restaurant. I didn’t make it back to the hotel until 9:30 that night, and boy was I beat. It was a really fun day, and everyone was very nice, but being in that will-they or won’t-they environment where I felt like I had to be extra smiley and charming was draining!

I had decided I really wanted the job. And I liked the area, despite the fact that the odds of spending at least one night in the next year in a hurricane shelter were pretty high. Kelly and I went to the beach the day after my interview, which we both fully approved of. Clear, cool water; nice sand; warm, salty breeze…I was sold.

Yesterday I got the call I’d been keeping my fingers crossed for….I got the job! I really couldn’t have been happier. My family were thrilled for me and tonight we’re going out to dinner to celebrate. Hmm…I wonder if I have to pay? 😀 Tomorrow it’s back down south to see apartments and condos I’ve found online and hopefully I’ll sign papers and move in early next week before Britt graduates next Friday. I’ve only got a week and a half to find a place and move, so I guess I’ll have to make it work!

So it’s south for me. I didn’t think I could really get much further south than I already am, but I’ll go wherever the money’s green. I’m looking forward to it–a new place, new people, new scenery–I think that’s just what I need. Plus I can work on my tan and practice my Spanish! Que bueno!



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “Heading south for the summer…and evey season after that”

  1. Bowling King says:

    Ah, so that’s where you are. I was looking for you online.

    Good luck house hunting! x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *