BootsnAll Travel Network



Mar 16-18: Siagon

Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon)

Most southerners still refer to HCMC as Saigon – its historical name.  We were back to backpacker style hotels here. No one slept very well for the 3 nights here due to all the traffic noise, honking cars and motorbikes.  Hanoi may be the seat of politics, but Saigon is the driving force of Vietnam’s economy, which is the 3rd fastest growing economy in the world. 

Thoughts on leaving Vietnam, compiled by the kids: western toilets (important), toilet paper (very important), very clean, modern, and cheaper hotels with AC (most important), motorbikes everywhere, crowded, touts everywhere hawking their wares – “motobike, you buy, taxi?, where you go”?, service from restaurants and hotels was great (much better than Malaysia and southern Thailand); sleeper buses with beds; economy based on US dollar; back to driving on right side of road, infrastructure (like roads) still very poor; French influence in tailoring, delicious french pastries and coffee; common person with more English speaking abilities than Thailand; everything is smaller – the size of the people, houses, cars, etc; every day uniforms more dressy; greater sense of community – sitting outside on stools eating with family, friends, people – unlike western countries where the home is more the communal place.

When we entered Vietnam, we hadn’t really read anything about it, and really did not know much about where we were heading. After travellig from the north to the south, while waiting at the airport to catch our flight from Vietnam back to Bangkok, we asked the kids how they rated the countries we had seen so far. They rate Vietnam as Number 1.  We felt like the month we were there just flew by. Now that we’re back in Thailand, it almost feels like it was a dream. We thoroughly enjoyed the people, the countryside, the cities (except Josh, who hates cities, although he was our fearless leader when crossing the motorbike clogged streets!).

PICTURES:

Reunification Palace: The seat of power for the South before and during the Vietnam War.  Modern architecture from the 1960s by a French architect. Although the capitol is now in Hanoi, this building is still used for conferences and ceremonial government meetings. 

siagon-1.jpg

Street where tanks from the northern army came rumbling in and crashed through the gates to overthrow the South – April 10, 1975

siagon-3.jpg 

This is the first tank that crashed through the fence as described above. It’s commemorated in a famous photo depicting the fall of Saigon.

siagon-2.jpg

In the basement, were the war control rooms of the South.  This was the communications room with all the original equipment.

siagon-4.jpg

People’s Committee Building with statue of Ho Chi Minh

siagon-7.jpg

The Rex Hotel – the hotel where a lot of the war correspondants stayed

siagon-6.jpg

Believe it or not – the Notre Dame in Saigon

siagon-8.jpg

Left over French Influence- bakery and patries

siagon-9c.jpgsiagon-9d.jpg

Street Traffic – cannot get a picture that does justice to all the motorbikes and the lack of lanes. At one left hand turn “area,” I counted 15 motorbikes and a car trying to all turn at once through the oncoming traffic.   The real challenge is crossing a street. The jist of it is: close your eyes, walk slowly, and don’t stop. Somehow,  the traffic moves around you.

siagon-9e.jpgsiagon9b.jpgsiagon-9.jpg

War Museum – this picture is the number of US units and where they were located in the South.  There was a wall with the statistics of WWII, other wars, and the “American” war – ie  casualties, deaths, ordnance dropped, etc.  A very telling picture of what happened there  for the 18 years we were involved in Vietnam. (We were in the country directly after Vietnam gained independence from the French in 1954.)  There were 6 halls set up, each with a different emphasis.  This exhibit was not a Hollywood-style romanticism of war. One exhibit was just photos of different war correspondents from around the world that died during the war.  Other exhibits showed the result of all the chemical warfare that was done to the country (forests leveled from agent orange/napalm (against Geneva Convention – and why did we go into Iraq?) and its results on the people.  The photos of the deformity on the kids was sickening.  Another exhibit showed the detention centers/prisons look and life – with photos of torture.  (We didn’t take the kids through here) Ther was also an outdoor exhibit of US weapons, etc.  The take home from all of it – War IS  HELL.  Nobody won – nobody was a saint (north or south or US or Russian) Each side lost – all in the name of what? – Politics?  The soldiers were only doing what was asked of them, but we must be wary of those in political power and their decisions to send our troops into battle. There was a very telling plaque from the US constitution – all men are created equal …… and deserve freedom and independence.  The south may not have wanted to be communist, but did the US have to go to help them? 

war-1.jpg

A guillotine – left over from the French prison system –

war-5.jpg

left over US military equipment

war-4.jpgwar-2.jpg

This is just ONE bomb – 12 feet high?!

war-3.jpg



Tags:

6,749 responses to “Mar 16-18: Siagon”

  1. Harveyaxobe says:

    https://medicationnoprescription.pro/# ordering prescription drugs from canada

  2. ArmandoSoils says:

    http://edpill.top/# ed med online

  3. PhilipGet says:

    canadian pharmacy online no prescription meds online without prescription online drugs no prescription

  4. ArmandoSoils says:

    http://medicationnoprescription.pro/# mail order prescriptions from canada

  5. Matthewtob says:

    order ed pills: erectile dysfunction medication online – where to get ed pills

  6. Austinhen says:

    how to get ed pills: ed medicines online – cheapest ed online

  7. ArmandoSoils says:

    http://edpill.top/# buy ed medication online

  8. Wkijkf says:

    brand desloratadine 5mg – ventolin inhalator generic purchase albuterol pills

  9. HarveyVob says:

    https://onlinepharmacyworld.shop/# cheapest pharmacy for prescription drugs

  10. Matthewtob says:

    online prescription for ed: where to get ed pills – buying erectile dysfunction pills online

  11. PhilipGet says:

    best ed pills online what is the cheapest ed medication cost of ed meds

  12. Wcuncj says:

    buy depo-medrol sale – generic cetirizine 10mg cost azelastine 10 ml

  13. ArmandoSoils says:

    https://medicationnoprescription.pro/# online medicine without prescription

  14. Matthewtob says:

    best ed medication online: low cost ed pills – buy ed pills online

  15. ArmandoSoils says:

    https://medicationnoprescription.pro/# buying prescription medicine online

  16. PhilipGet says:

    canada pharmacy coupon online pharmacy non prescription drugs canadian pharmacy coupon

  17. Harveyaxobe says:

    https://medicationnoprescription.pro/# best no prescription online pharmacies

  18. Htyyly says:

    micronase 2.5mg cost – glyburide 5mg canada buy dapagliflozin generic

  19. ArmandoSoils says:

    https://medicationnoprescription.pro/# pharmacy online no prescription

  20. Matthewtob says:

    non prescription canadian pharmacy: online no prescription pharmacy – no prescription medicine

  21. Austinhen says:

    buying ed pills online: online erectile dysfunction medication – best online ed treatment

  22. Hebub says:

    Когда мне понадобилось улучшить видимость интернет-ресурса моей компании, я заказал услуги у https://seo-saytov-v-msk.ru. Они выработали комплексный подход к SEO, который заметно улучшил наше положение в результатах поиска. Команда экспертно выполнила работу, обеспечив быстрый эффект. Рекомендую как надежного партнера в продвижении сайтов.

  23. ChrisPet says:

    casino tr?c tuy?n danh bai tr?c tuy?n game c? b?c online uy tin

  24. Jameszex says:

    http://casinvietnam.com/# choi casino tr?c tuy?n tren di?n tho?i

  25. Larrynouck says:

    PBN sites
    We create a network of privately-owned blog network sites!

    Benefits of our private blog network:

    We execute everything SO THAT Google does not grasp THAT this A privately-owned blog network!!!

    1- We purchase domain names from different registrars

    2- The leading site is hosted on a VPS hosting (Virtual Private Server is high-speed hosting)

    3- The rest of the sites are on different hostings

    4- We allocate a individual Google ID to each site with confirmation in Search Console.

    5- We develop websites on WordPress, we do not utilise plugins with assistance from which Trojans penetrate and through which pages on your websites are created.

    6- We do not repeat templates and employ only unique text and pictures

    We never work with website design; the client, if wished, can then edit the websites to suit his wishes

  26. Jameszex says:

    https://casinvietnam.shop/# casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam

  27. Xjahou says:

    glyburide 5mg cheap – pill dapagliflozin 10mg buy forxiga 10mg without prescription

  28. Jessebaf says:

    http://casinvietnam.com/# danh bai tr?c tuy?n

  29. MichaelGof says:

    web c? b?c online uy tin casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam casino online uy tin

  30. This site is really nice, thank you for sharing.

  31. Jxegqp says:

    purchase micronase online cheap – glyburide 5mg pill dapagliflozin 10mg cost

  32. This is a great article. I loved your sharing.

  33. Thanks for the information. I really enjoyed, I would like get more
    information about this,because is very beautiful, thanks for sharing

  34. This is truly a great post. Thanks for your ideas.

  35. Thanks for the information. I really enjoyed, I would like get more
    information about this,because is very beautiful, thanks for sharing

  36. Yaljfu says:

    purchase glucophage generic – buy acarbose 25mg generic acarbose drug

  37. Baqjoy says:

    prandin us – order empagliflozin 25mg for sale jardiance order online

  38. Ahulwz says:

    glucophage uk – buy sitagliptin 100mg online buy acarbose 25mg online cheap

  39. Jameszex says:

    https://casinvietnam.com/# game c? b?c online uy tin

  40. Michaelboowl says:

    https://indiaph24.store/# best online pharmacy india

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *