BootsnAll Travel Network



Bulgaria! Part I

We landed in Bulgaria around 8pm, received our backpacks intact and headed out to meet Sofia. Our couchsurfing host in Sofia, the lovely Desi, had armed us with very specific instructions about how to take a cab from the airport to her house. 1) only take a Supercab and don’t accept imitations, 2) the ride should cost no more than 7 leva. If we follow those two instructions carefully we should not get taken advantage of like so many travelers. We get into the airport, the air is hot and we’re immediately besieged by taxi drivers angling for business. We ignore them, we know what we’re looking for. We find the kiosk for Supercab and show the man the address, and he nicely walks us over to a cab. We get in and start going. We look at the sights we can see, trying to take in the city at night and the taxi driver keeps driving. We’ve been driving for about 20 minutes when the driver asks again for the address. I show it to him and he indicates that we’re on the right street, which is a major thoroughfare, but there is no number 33. He indicates that he’s confused. He pulls down a side street, rolls his window and asks something in Bulgarian to a passerby who shrugs. The taxi driver begins to get agitated as he is driving around and the meter is rising up, up, up. He goes down another side street and this time stops the car and gets out. We’re not about to get out of the car. He points to a hotel nearby and says “hotel! hotel!” We say “no hotel! house!” although he doesn’t understand. Back in the car, more driving, more dead end streets, more grumbling, more theatrics. We’re not so much scared as we are confused and we’re under the impression that this guy is really trying hard to get us to where we need to go. Twenty more minutes of driving in circles and miraculously we find number 33, geez it was right there all along, and the meter has skyrocketed past 7 leva to 14 leva. He demands 14 euros (which is about 30 leva). I indicate through sign language that he’s crazy and he had just been driving in circles and can’t charge us for not knowing where he’s going. He demanded 14 euros again and started to pound the steering wheel. We were tired, we were happy to be where we were and suddenly giving him 10 euros to get out of the situation seemed like a bargain. I suppose that’s what he was counting on. When our hostess let us in and heard of the escapade she sighed heavily and said, “god they do this all the time. I’m just going to have to call and complain”. In the end we paid 20 leva for a 7 leva ride just like every other tourist. Sigh, at least we got it out of the way.

But this small experience has not sullied the wonder of being in Bulgaria, it’s just a part of the whole and the kind of introduction to a country that is memorable. In a way getting ripped off by a taxi driver is a rite of passage, and literally everyone has a similar story.

Bulgaria. Officially the Republic of Bulgaria, forms part of the Balkans in south-eastern Europe. It borders five other countries: Romania to the north (mostly along the River Danube), Serbia and the Republic of Macedonia to the west, and Greece and Turkey to the south. The Black Sea defines the extent of the country to the east.

bu-map.jpg

We started off in Sofia, the capital, and had arranged with Dessi and Phillip to couchsurf with them for a few days which turned into almost a week as we all got along so well. Dessi and Phillip are university professors and this is their summer break so we got to spend some great time with them and ultimately they invited us along to Veliko Tarnivo with them which got us within an hour’s bus-ride to our final destination, Voditsa. Sofia is a great city to explore and, not surprisingly, tremendously different from the cities in Western Europe we’d been seeing.

We started out taking a bus from their apartment into the city center where we could see some of the amazing buildings and ancient churches that marked the city. This is Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Church, one of 13 churches named after the Russian saint in Eastern Europe but the one which has the distinction of being the largest Eastern Orthodox cathedral in the world.

The cathedral’s gold-plated dome is 45 meters high, with the bell tower reaching 50.52 meters. The temple has 12 bells with total weight of 23 tons, the heaviest weighing 12 tons and the lightest 10 kg. No pictures could be taken inside the cathedral, but take our word for it: it was impressive. And here is an areal photograph I found which gives a better idea how massive the cathedral is.

Outside the cathedral we experienced one of the most unique outdoor markets I’ve ever had the pleasure of seeing. Filled with antiques, each stall was a lesson in history offering everything from old photographs and memoribilia to amazing Nazi relics such as SS insignia compasses and paperweights of undeniable authenticity. There was an amazing mishmash of historical artifacts, timelining the Nazi occupation and the communist regime, and we were both simply fascinated.

We continued on our walk and encountered church after church, each different and beautiful in their own way and all reflecting a unique orthodox style. This one was the Russian church.

After all the walking we stopped for some lunch. Desi had told us about a secret vegetarian restaurant in Sofia and the vague but specific as possible directions of how to find it (down the second street, look for a small sign on the second floor, walk into a shop, look for a white metal door, go up the stairs, enter an unmarked door, that’s the restaurant). This is standard operating procedure in Bulgaria. A city that takes “unpretentious” to a new level there are hidden bars and secret shops and unmarked museums that you simply have to have people tell you about or you’d walk by them for years not knowing they’re there.

We found the white metal door…

…and climbed up a concrete stairwell and opened a second unmarked door only to find a most beautiful oasis of a restaurant, aptly named Dream House.

We were so happy to be there and enjoyed a deeeeelicious meal, well worth the 14 leva (7 euro) for us both to eat and eat and drink to our hearts content. But Sofia is a city of contrasts, and for every beautiful nook like this there were many abandoned and gutted post-communist buildings sitting in ruins and covered with stray dogs (a very large problem in Bulgaria).

It’s interesting to note that while stray dogs may be a “problem” there were very few homeless people. We thought this wasn’t so bad compared to the “problem” in America where we look the other way while the strays are put to sleep and wonder constantly what to “do” with the homeless people.

Our hosts inform us that Bulgaria is frustrating politically because the country is dominated by corruption, mafioso, and the black market. In a recent guide, the estimate was one quarter of the economy was under-the-table. Another upsetting development was that real wages are not keeping up with inflation and that EU economic sanctions are on the way due to the recent exposed corruption of the ruling powers (who will most likely face no repurcussions themselves). All of this combined with a general air of political apathy make for an unenviable situation for the average Bulgarian. In many ways, we remarked at the similarities in the USA and could sympathize quite easily with the frustrations of such elusive socio-economic progress.

Roaming around central Sofia, we had fun finding other “secret” gems such as this hostel with a bar in the basement. All the adorning pictures were graffiti photos from Barcelona and they only had two kinds of beer but they were cheap and the outdoor patio was cool.

art hostel

art hostel

On the following day, we found the once-public bath house to be under renovations.

bath

We sat by this fountain in the middle of a square and watched all the people pass by (we only saw one woman who really knew how to walk in heels – Jonathan had never really paid much attention to this before and he was impressed).

At our unsuccessful trip to the Indian embassy (where we had hoped to obtain our visas), we stopped at a nearby park to recoup our sensibilities and plan our next moves.

playgournd

Note the starkness and our continuing theme of “unpretentious.” When we arrived back at our hosts apartment, they announced their impending departure to Veliko Turnovo, home of Desi’s parents and asked if we’d like to join them. Of course we would!! While it was fun to take a road trip in Bulgaria, we departed after dark and the scenery was missed. It was interesting when Desi was pulled over for speeding. She explained that the paperwork for traffic offenses was lengthy and that the police was looking for a quick bribe – unfortunately, when he discovered that she was a teacher (one of the lowest paid professions in Bulgaria), he let her go with a warning.

Desi’s parents were equally accommodating and we slept soundly on their pullout couch (there were only three kinds made during communism and this one by far was the most comfortable – surpassing any we’ve tried in the States). Veliko Turnovo is a glorious city but this will have to wait until Bulgaria! Part II – coming soon!

Tags: ,



81 Responses to “Bulgaria! Part I”

  1. Stan Wedeking Says:

    I’ve been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

  2. Posted from Poland Poland
  3. Stuart Sotomayer Says:

    Hello, Neat post. There is a problem with your web site in internet explorer, could test this… IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a huge portion of other people will leave out your great writing because of this problem.

  4. Posted from Poland Poland
  5. Gabriele Duberstein Says:

    Dead pent subject matter, thanks for selective information .

  6. Posted from Poland Poland
  7. iphone 7 retro lommebok deksel Says:

    iphone 7 retro lommebok deksel

    g眉nstige kinderpullis kinderschuhe schwarz geldb枚rse f眉r m眉nzen shopper tasche leder braun 65 zoll 4k tv killtec giga dx damen mantel bracciale con croce oro giacca maniche pelle gucci letto pelle nera 讙讬驻讟 拽讗专讚 诇 one house 诪讜爪 讬诇讜转 讛诪讚专讬讱 讛诪诇讗 诇讞谞讜讬讜转…

  8. 诪注专讻转 专诪拽讜诇讬诐 讗诇讞讜讟讬讬诐 驻谞住讜谞讬拽 panasonic sc k 鈧?99 Says:

    诪注专讻转 专诪拽讜诇讬诐 讗诇讞讜讟讬讬诐 驻谞住讜谞讬拽 panasonic sc k 鈧?99

    gabor herrenschuhe oakley forehand damen adidas daunenjacke blau felpa vans rossa occhiali da sole donna prezzo gucci cucina per bambini fai da te vestiti bimba liu jo la sportiva bambino pantaloncini narcos pupazzo di neve fatto con i bicchieri di pla…

  9. jabon ph acido Says:

    jabon ph acido

    AUTOYOUTH Winter Plush Car Seat All inclusive Mat For Girl Winter Car Mat Cushion Velvet Cushion 1Piece HILDA Heat Gun With adjustable 2 Temperatures Advanced Electric Hot Air Gun 220V Power Tool 1800W 2000W bugaboo camale贸n remeras juveniles twenty on…

  10. coque soccer iphone 6 os Says:

    coque soccer iphone 6 os

    pantyhose ankle conair wave brush small propane stove and oven converse and tyler the creator collab cassius born converse star player ox white blue leather converse star vans authentic shoes unisex mens vans sk8 hi vans sk8 hi reissue uc shoes black r…

  11. halloween kostumer voksen langt h en gorilla engros halloween Says:

    halloween kostumer voksen langt h en gorilla engros halloween

    baby born interaktiv dukke hjem mega fede quiksilver t shirt quiksilver t shirts til herrer i herre bomuld jakke p氓 udsalg m忙nd vinter 2018 ny slim fit sort cyan camisa gris mujer compara precios en minus cardigan new laura i bounty blue k酶b den her ur…

  12. plava auto guralica za decu Says:

    plava auto guralica za decu

    damskie stroje karnawa艂owe najmodniejszy garnitur obr膮czki p贸艂okr膮g艂e vans va2 mzw 0051 99 u authentic trainers black cara membuat kerajinan tangan dari sedotan plastik sac a dos guess femme 蟽蔚蟿 伪谓蟿伪位位伪魏蟿喂魏蠋谓 纬喂伪 蟿伪 蟽蠀蟽蟿萎渭伪蟿伪 未蠀慰 蟽蟿伪未委蠅谓 fhctf2 魏伪喂 fp2…

  13. schwinn csepel tour alu ker茅kp谩r posta 0 ft Says:

    schwinn csepel tour alu ker茅kp谩r posta 0 ft

    zig zag artem softshell jakke til mobiltelefon uden kamera dolphin dynamic prox2 brugt vespa primavera 50 4t koehler knallerter skuldertaske cognac 220800 222 k酶b nord limited edition sams酶e sams酶e ros torv gy枚ny枚r疟 summer dombornyirt sz艖nyeg sandalia…

  14. abbigliamento pagamento in contrassegno Says:

    abbigliamento pagamento in contrassegno

    2020 tiosebon nike air presto black off white jordan one off white unc nwt under armour cold gear storm girls puffer jacket pink black under armour armourfuse 4 compression short ritual vapor hockey glove co je reklamace 2020 nike pegasus 46 all star h…

  15. maschera jason venerd矛 13 adulto Says:

    maschera jason venerd矛 13 adulto

    m盲dchen adidas sporthose kurz gr. 152 materia ohrstecker herz blau kristall 925 silber ohrringe sch枚ne nussbaum neorenaissance stehlampe mit ablagetisch antik kolosseum f茅lcip艖k szand谩lok declan l谩bv茅delem online f茅rfi ruh谩zat lindbergh 80 darab egysz铆…

  16. tessa black and white lace off shoulder top Says:

    tessa black and white lace off shoulder top

    sofabord erik j酶rgensen reservedele h酶jtryksrensere sammenlign priser p氓 statuesque grey party wear gown lululemon wunder under crops in light blue womens midi dresses knee length dresses boden us super skinny ankle jeans zara velvet lace slip dress nw…

  17. 诇讜讙讜 讗专拽讬注 讘专讜讱 谞讗讛 讗讗讗 Says:

    诇讜讙讜 讗专拽讬注 讘专讜讱 谞讗讛 讗讗讗

    jack purcell chaussures homme comparez et achetez puma spor ayakkab谋 indirimli puma ferrari drift cat 7 white midnight 5.1 gel kayano 閬嬪嫊闈?銉°兂銈?tiger 鐢锋€х敤 echarpe plaid zalando pepe jeans casquette beige ado gar莽on v锚tements 注讚讬讬谉 讚讬讗 住讘注 讬爪讗 讬砖专讗诇 讛讬…

  18. best power banks for samsung galaxy note 8 charger harbor Says:

    best power banks for samsung galaxy note 8 charger harbor

    beats audifonos beats x wireless by dr. dre bluetooth gris funda personalizada alcatel idol 2 mini forro case transparente iphone xs xr xs max 8 8p antigolpes chanel iphone 8 plus leather wallet case cellphone card holder wallet flip case cover for sam…

  19. Back Cases Protective Billie Eilish Beautiful Cute For Samsung Galaxy Note 5 8 9 S3 S4 S5 S6 S7 S8 S9 S10 5G mini Edge Plus Lite Says:

    Back Cases Protective Billie Eilish Beautiful Cute For Samsung Galaxy Note 5 8 9 S3 S4 S5 S6 S7 S8 S9 S10 5G mini Edge Plus Lite

    Proverb Phrase Motto Happe Valentines Day For Samsung Galaxy Note 5 8 9 S3 S4 S5 S6 S7 S8 S9 S10 5G mini Edge Plus Lite Tiger Lion Leopard Black For LG G2 G3 G4 G5 G6 G7 K4 K7 K8 K10 K12 K40 Mini Plus Stylus ThinQ 2016 2017 2018 Soft Print Capa Dwayne…

  20. diesel tepphar jean slim carotte blanc cass茅 Says:

    diesel tepphar jean slim carotte blanc cass茅

    puma modern sport track pants black merker high cooper motorcycle atv tricycle starter relay nettjenester hvor lang tid tar dinside st酶rrelse 152 barn media city bergen studvest sweat 脿 capuche snapshot browning asics gel lyte 5 bleu turquoise converse…

  21. pagamento contrassegno abbigliamento Says:

    pagamento contrassegno abbigliamento

    johor premium outlet under armour special sale sports low prices under armour grade school ua charged coolswitch new under armour womens top m tis the season christmas graphic tee cotton b135 卸懈谢械褌褘 屑械褏芯胁褘械 懈薪褌械褉薪械褌 屑邪谐邪蟹懈薪 泻褍锌懈褌褜 锌械褉褔邪褌泻懈 芯锌褌芯屑 写谢褟 谐械…

  22. shirt with neck Says:

    shirt with neck

    economico camicia a quadri isaia online viola vendere bocny slnecnik modre lodicky s remienkom panske korale bluetooth h枚rlurar telefon eu sl盲p agro 243 131 cm inv 450 750kg tv氓 axlad napapijri bekv盲ma sandaler dam online f盲rgglad camicia a vestito men…

  23. 懈薪褌械褉薪械褌 屑邪谐邪蟹懈薪 芯 斜褍胁褜 Says:

    懈薪褌械褉薪械褌 屑邪谐邪蟹懈薪 芯 斜褍胁褜

    dovo rasoir straight carbon 5 8 escova modeladora infinity chrome mondial em 06 15w bivolt ostrza do maszynki philips mini caixa de som usb port谩til com r谩dio fm entrada usb prodam auto levne 欷戧淡 氍挫劆 敫旊(韴姢 鞀ろ彫旄?鞚挫柎韽?項る摐靺?雲轨潓 buy 敫旊(韴姢 項る摐靺?/a> mil al…

  24. bracciale braccialetto donna tennis incisione frase nome data Says:

    bracciale braccialetto donna tennis incisione frase nome data

    buone a tavola da insegnare ai bambini acquistare scarpe donna moda nike air max 1 ultra 2.0 si le novit脿 clementoni del 2018 sui giochi da tavolo per 苇尉蠀蟺谓畏 魏慰蠀蟻蔚蠀蟿喂魏萎 渭畏蠂伪谓萎 纬喂伪 维谓未蟻蔚蟼 medico 蔚委未畏 魏伪谓伪蟺苇蟼 魏蟻蔚尾维蟿喂 button 尾喂慰位慰纬喂魏伪 蔚谓蟿慰渭慰伪蟺蠅胃畏蟿喂魏伪 伪谓蟿喂…

  25. aretes ancla zirconias rebajas marzo Says:

    aretes ancla zirconias rebajas marzo

    web谩ruh谩z blog webshop labor mi 眉vegp贸l贸 az idei 茅v szenz谩ci贸ja 18 f茅rfi ker茅kp谩r olcs贸n mindent a r贸mai katolikus esk眉v艖r艖l esk眉v艖 okosan haszn谩lt husqvarna 345 elad贸 vintage cooper aretes en forma de flor con perla en la piedra organizador de joyas d…

  26. update mit paypal plus rechnung Says:

    update mit paypal plus rechnung

    herren nachthemden kurz superslim bra拧na macbook notebook 13 膷ern谩 parfemy zara home 拧t媒lov茅 celoko啪en茅 svadobn茅 sand谩lky eva akcia spodn茅 pr谩dlo termopr谩dlo maier set nike m nk dry acdmy pant kpz f茅rfi jogging als贸 ch2600 fossil decker aviation f茅rfi…

  27. nejlep拧铆 adidas ultra boost p谩nsk茅 prodej lisiyinb258 Says:

    nejlep拧铆 adidas ultra boost p谩nsk茅 prodej lisiyinb258

    b臎啪eck茅 boty adidas deerupt runner peter kaiser d谩msk茅 ploch茅 obuv hork媒ch velkolep媒 koncert ji艡铆ho korna v o2 2019 herren line up shirts deichbrand online shop sport bh sch枚ne star print vier nadel sechs zeilen weste running dolomite damen daunenjacke…

  28. mens nike trainers air max high tops hoodies more Says:

    mens nike trainers air max high tops hoodies more

    oriental lace fabric john lewis adler bar table and stool in ws7 for xbox one s 1tb console far cry new dawn 3 pairs la marquise underwear cotton lycra maxi full briefs in skintone 6 sizes thrasher magazine outlined black t shirt 2 layer strappy bra ca…

  29. lego creator 3 in 1 modular skate house building kit lego Says:

    lego creator 3 in 1 modular skate house building kit lego

    pippi b枚rjar publicerat med tillst氓nd boken om pippi timberland cappello lana camicia donna pinko nera in seta velo a spa en madrid centro compara precios en tiendas.com piscina gre sunbay carra 300x300x119 compre 2019 venta caliente zapatillas de depo…

  30. roper womens pocahontas western moccasin shoes Says:

    roper womens pocahontas western moccasin shoes

    ko啪en谩 kabelka promod visvim d谩msk茅 w folk brown mountain trainer gtx turistick谩 obuv d谩msk谩 venom po kakovostne hla膷e v army shop mizarstvo sever new mens yellow cowboy buffalo buckskin american leather shirt with fringes predator pro goalkeeper glove…

  31. high low dresses asos Says:

    high low dresses asos

    e shop 尾慰位慰蟽 渭蔚蟿伪蠂蔚喂蟻喂蟽渭蔚谓伪 蟽魏慰蠀蟿蔚蟻 胃蔚蟽蟽伪位慰谓喂魏畏 herre badedragt lingeri outlet asos navy tulle dress jordan 12 black and grey 2020 blank blue hat palazzo pants with top 蔚渭蠁伪谓喂蟽畏 蟻慰谓伪位谓蟿慰 渭伪蟽伪味 蟽蟿慰谓 伪蠀蠂蔚谓伪 nike free x metcon camo 2020 adidas eqt short

  32. hummel butik Says:

    hummel butik

    渭蟺慰蠂慰 蟻慰蠀蠂伪 伪胃畏谓伪 holger danske landsholdstr酶je mc handsker tilbud adidas fodboldst酶vler indend酶rs air max 270 red black white forever 21 shoes oversized sweater dress amazon buy jackets online cheap mens skechers canvas shoes 2020 eqt guidance 93 alie…

  33. montre seul le temps homme sector expander street fashion Says:

    montre seul le temps homme sector expander street fashion

    wheel single expander hard shell 讗专谞拽 讞讜诐 讻讗诪诇 拽讟谉 诇讙讘专 注诐 爪专讬讘讛 驻讬拽讗驻讬拽 诪转谞讜转 驻讜砖 讗驻 讞讝讬讜转 转讞专讛 讞讝讬讜转 诪专讜驻讚讜转 讞讝讬讜转 注诐 讘专讝诇 拽讗驻 5 8 住讟讬诐 砖诇 拽谞讛 讻转谞讜转 讛诇讬诇讛 诇谞砖讬诐 拽讬抓 讛诇讘砖转 讻转谞讜转 casquette 3 stripes adidas juventus royal blue stylish button detail long…

  34. buy tilta esr t13 res v Says:

    buy tilta esr t13 res v

    爪讬讚谞讬讜转 讗讬砖讬讜转 讜诪讬讚谞讬讜转 诇讗拽谉 dudu 讗专谞拽 拽诇讗爪 诪注讟驻讛 诪注讜专 讗讬讟诇拽讬 砖讞讜专 borsa a tracolla donna guess kamryn crossbody top zip rosa pigiami e abbigliamento da notte moncler fa i saldi gucci phone case clear iphone 8 plus fred lunette de soleil femme dor茅 住讬专…

Leave a Reply