BootsnAll Travel Network



Puebla: Free Tuesdays…

Hmm… Puebla… it´s where Mexico won the battle against France almost by default. Most of the French army was handicapped by diarrhea. Hence, the Mexican’s won the battle. Hey, it gives all of us a reason to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

Being facetious aside, Puebla is a beautiful place. There are 70-churches in the city and thousands of colonial buildings connected by cobblestone streets. Puebla´s city center is inscribed by Unesco as a World Heritage Site.

I arrive early yesterday and sad to say I can only stay here for two nights. I am staying around zocolo, two blocks east of Cinco de Mayo Ave. I´m am beginning to love zocolo. A sense of community is very transparent. It’s where people go.

I´ve been in luck with my arrival in Pueblo. Yesterday, I checked out Museo Amparo which displays pre-Hispanic and colonial arts (free Mondays). It got even better. I found out that most museums are free on Tuesdays. Score! Today, I saw five museums for free. It cannot get any better than that. I also visited Puebla´s impressive Cathedral which is the face of the Mexican 500-peso bill. I´m feeling holier day-by-day here in Mexico. I suppose by the time I leave a halo should encircle the top of my head.

Earlier today I was trying to plan my day. As I sat on one of the benches in zocolo an elderly man approached me. He showed me his card that he works for the church which makes me feel at ease (I should be unless he’s a priest – kidding!). He kept talking to me and I just kept saying Si.. si si.. I really wish I speak the language. He gave me his address and phone number and invited me to come over to eat. I´m probably not going since he live far from where I am staying. But I must say, people here are very kind.

When I was walking along Cinco de Mayo Ave. I saw a store that is selling rotisserie whole chicken and drumsticks. I then paid 10-pesos for 5-chicken legs and bought some bread to eat it with. When I opened my bag, what I thought was drumsticks were actually chicken neck with the head still attached. I was not happy to say the least!

I head to Oaxaca City tomorrow. A short stay again. I’m trying to get to Oaxaca coast hopefully by this weekend.



Tags: ,

8 responses to “Puebla: Free Tuesdays…”

  1. Hershey says:

    I hope you’re having a blast in Mexico. Amanda’s talking already and she’s looking for her Uncle RJ. j/k. hahahaha Anyways, mom will be happy if you come back with a Halo on top of your head. j/k. We miss you. Take care.

  2. admin says:

    Sister Dear — I know right. First I´ve been going to church which she´s been trying to get me to go the last i don´t know how many years. Second I´m turning into the second St. Augustin. ahahahah… She must be really proud.

  3. Karen says:

    Oh I cant stop laughing about the chicken necks. that is pretty funny.

  4. krack says:

    i think the ol man was so nice cause he thought u were homeless….a runaway…..como estas senior?nrnr: )

  5. admin says:

    Karen – me too.. lol

    Krack – maybe! Everything is well.

  6. Erica says:

    Wow! Chicken heads! I hope you keep up your blog, it’s awesome to read what you are doing. We miss you here but I’m glad you are out exploring…
    E

  7. admin says:

    E – thanks for reading. I will try to keep writing to keep you guys entertained. Hopefully everything is going well at Saybrook. RJ

  8. Matt Arbuckle says:

    drumsticks story is excellente

  9. Ingrid says:

    I know i’m a little late here, but … ahha dude 5 chicken heads with bread….YUMS! and since when did chicken heads look like drumsticks anywayz?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *