BootsnAll Travel Network



Stateside

IMG_3862 (Custom).JPG

After meeting up with Luci at Auckland International we boarded the plane for LAX and then on to Denver where we met up with our friends Amy and Eric. It was a bit of a shock being back in the states after being out for almost a year. But Amy and Eric are gracious host and, having worked in the Antarctic, could understand where we were coming from.

While we spent a few days at their house getting re-adjusted we got our contracts for next season on the Ice and shopped for lift tickets for our approaching trip to Summit County. The Spelman’s once again courteously opened their condo in Silverthorne to us. We bought a couple of 4-day passes to Copper on the Boulder Craig’s List for well under cost. It was vacation week so the mountain was packed with kids. The conditions were good, though. We had two days of snow and two days of sun. I even got Luci to go off-piste and into the trees.

After another week at Amy and Eric’s, we flew back to Boston and took the Downeaster train up to Dover to my parents. We had a huge stack of mail from our year-long absence and spent the better part of two days reading it all. We had only a couple of days at my parents before going up to Conway to take a Wilderness First Responder with SOLO. What a LONG week! I have taken a WFR before but it was about 12 years ago when I worked for the AMC at Pinkham Notch. Coincidently, the instructor was my boss when I worked there, Bill Otten. Another guy I worked for at the AMC is the cook at SOLO. Having taken the course before, it got a bit redundant after a while. Good to get the practice though.

Now we are back at my parents. I have spent the past couple of days getting my little laptop back in order, and trying to slim down our pile of stuff in my parents attic. This weekend we are headed up to my brother Isaac’s house to see our new nephew, Eben. I also signed up to take the Maine Motorcycle Safety Course, finally. I am hoping I can get the motorcycle endorsement on my international drivers license.



Tags:

One response to “Stateside”

  1. Joel Wagner says:

    Hey man, why don’t you send me your e-mail. I’ve been thinking about your invite to the Alps and a lot of other things, but I fear too little space is afforded my monolouge. Had fun with the gun and the kite juggling this weekend. Enjoy.

    joel