BootsnAll Travel Network



Ice Breaker Arrives

Polar Star Arrives (3).jpg

I just got this picture a few minutes ago as the Polar Star broke its way into the town pier. A bunch of people lined the road to watch. A group of about 70 penguins came around the point and also stopped to watch. We have been monitoring the ships movements all week as it slowly approached town. I went out to help the fuelies roll up the hose that once went out to the ice runway. We were some of the last people to be out in that area before it was closed to access for the season. I got some great views of the breaker out in front of town.
It has been like spring ski season here; warm and mushy. I was told that the Hercs have the ability to attach rocket engines with about a 10 second burn to help counteract the friction from the skis on slushy ice. I got to go out and have a look at the planes up close the other day to see the inside and to see where the rockets attach. On Saturday we had our annual Ice Stock. Like all celebrations here, new years is celebrated the Saturday after. It was sunny and beautiful and about 45 or 50 F. There were bands and a chili contest. All the music was powered by solar energy. The actual new year?s eve was OK. The Kiwis have a party in their heavy machinery shop at Scott Base every year and we went to that. It was our first time to be the first time zone to see the new year. We were off the day after and sort of longed around the room. Around noon we realized we could call Luci?s parents and wish them a happy new year as it was about to happen. I tried calling my brother Isaac later at 18:00 when it would have been midnight on the east coast but couldn?t get a line out.
The job fair is tomorrow. Luci and I have been actively exploring our job options for next year already but we plan to make an appearance there just the same. We have a tentative re-deployment date of the 17th of February. I know that month is going to fly by.




One response to “Ice Breaker Arrives”

  1. Chiara, ALberto ed Enrico says:

    Abbiamo Ricevuto la vostra Cartolina!!!
    Ci ha fatto tantissimo piacere e ci siamo sorpresi della efficacia delle poste!!!
    Vi seguiamo sempre con entusiasmo e speriamo che stiate bene.
    Noi tutti bene!
    Enrico manda un bacio anche al pinguino imperatore che è uno dei suoi animali preferiti.
    Un Bacione a tutti ed a presto.
    P.S. Complimenti per le foto che sono davvero bellle!!!!
    Ciao,
    Chiara, Alberto ed Enrico