BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 4 – First Day in Greece

Camp Akratas.jpg

Our first day of really touring Greece on the moto. After spending a good part of the morning getting out of the City limits, we decided to turn around when it began to rain. We had no interest in getting soaked on our first day so we checked back in at the same hotel. Of course, after an hour the sun was out and looked like it was going to stick around. We decided to try the unthinkable; ask for a refund at the hotel and try again to get out of town. By some stroke of luck we were successful and were soon on our way. We got on the “highway” which was very odd indeed. It was the only one lane highway I have ever seen! And it was a toll road! When a fast car comes flying down the single lane (often), the slower car just pulls over into the breakdown lane to let it by. I could only deal with a few miles of this and got off at the first exit.

This road took us down the tranquil shores of the Gulf of Corinth. We thought of taking the rack and pinion rail road from Diakofto up into the mountains to Kalavrita where the Greek war for independence began. To get to the campground you had to cross a foot deep stream so we decided to just continue driving. We spent our first night camping on the beach at Akratas a little farther down the road with the idea of driving up to the town the next day.



Tags:

Comments are closed.