BootsnAll Travel Network



Hakuna Matata

And yes, they do actually say that here, so now we know 5 words!

Today is a great day.   We are finally getting our traveling legs back, I think.  This morning  we woke up before our alarm went off, thanks to the cheerily chirping birds outside – and were actually in good enough shape to appreciate them.  We started off in good spirits, feeling well rested despite our fears of wildlife visiting during the night (the creepy small kind, that is).  Following breakfast we started the next phase of packing and perhaps the most fun – the pharmacy.  While sitting on the bed with our supplies strewn around us, popping our vitamin and malaria pills, we were glad we were in Africa where drug raids are less common.

After that, we ventured into town.  We ignored the multiple recommendations and offers for a town escort (apparently that is the modus operandi) and wandered about on our own – kind of like the chickens and goats. Despite our aimlessness we ended up feeling quite successful!  Managed to purchase  bandanas of the Tanzanian flag (we think) from a one-eyed street vendor, learned not to follow random people on the streets who offer to take us somewhere “around the corner,” and found a lovely lunch destination atop a quaint downtown hotel, offering a view, a breeze and the best food we’ve had yet.

After lunch we practiced our negotiation skills, and discovered that buying a painting means talking and negotiating with a minimum of 7 people. Meanwhile, 7 more people are hovering in the background waiting to take you to their store next door.  In the end and with a lot of patience (it took about 45 minutes to close the deal, which included stories of not having eaten yet today and needing to sell so they can buy food,…), we walked off with our works of art.  And true to their word, the artists all headed up the street to get lunch.

So we’ll go for a bit of pool time now, followed by re-packing #4, and a meeting and pre-climb briefing this evening with our moutain guide.

Please see our “Review” section for information on local venues we’ve tried.

dsc00165.JPGdsc00163.JPGdsc00173.JPGdsc00174.JPGhpim1205.JPG



Tags: , ,

4 responses to “Hakuna Matata”

  1. Tanya says:

    If I remember right that means ‘Don’t worry’ – that should be your motto for your climb and for the nights with creepy-crawlies and for the days with snakes or lions or… 🙂 Have fun. Niclas was wondering whether Kevin is climbing the Kili too…I told him no. You and your sister take care,Jaimi. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am so looking forward to reading your report and hearing your story once you’re back in Germany. Also the report on the ngongoro crater – take lots of pics. please.

  2. Juli says:

    Where’s the picture of your picture (art). I’m so glad you were not lured “around the corner” that was exactly what I was afraid of! 😉 So, how was the pre-climb meeting? Now I’m getting nervous for you! Does the weather seem to be stable, or do you not know that till you get up there? Will we not hear from you again till you get down??? YIKES I will be going crazy by then. Good luck and just remember, if I were there I’d be racing you up the mountain! LOL By the way my arm hurts from playing wii tennis… 🙂 Stay safe!!!
    Jules

  3. Juli says:

    OOohhhh. I like the one with the people, and the orange background, and trees, that would look good in Robs den! 😉 and the bannans look yummy! Thanks for the pictures!!! I’ll be dreaming about being there!

  4. Judi says:

    So when all is said and done, how much does art cost? And what’s around the corner? Maybe you are glad I didn’t get to go.

    Yeah, sure Juli, you would be racing them to the top and drop dead along the way! You dork.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *