BootsnAll Travel Network



Dinner of Kings

1:30 AM, 8/22/06

A relatively uneventful first day, but certainly an interesting second night. The room is saturated in smoke; it’s like one of those old westerns where a “thick layer of smoke hangs heavy in the room.” I suppose I’ve got to get accustomed to it sooner or later and it may as well be now. I spent the day at the British Museum (pictures to come), which was amazing. The atmosphere of antiquity seemed to dwell in the in the stones and within every breath. Walking through the museum was like taking steps through centuries of history and decades of craftsmanship. One cannot simply appreciate one item, such as the Rosetta Stone, without absorbing the entirety of the legacies, drawing in a millennia with each breath. I am very glad I went. Moreover, it is the location for a scene in one of my novels. It was an interesting experience—walking the steps of one of my fictional characters. I wonder if other authors feel the same eerie sense of déjà vu. I wonder.

On another note, Jacob arrived safely, albeit a bit late. He arrived in the farther airport and so it took him quite a bit longer to reach the hostel. Consequently, we had a pretty chill day. We found an affordable dinner in the form of one of those pre-cooked grocery store chickens, an apple, and starbucks coffee…and what a dinner it was! We received more than one strange glance as we dined outside of starbucks. Such is the life of backpackers, I suppose. Fortunately there was beer to feed the void that remained from dinner. Jacob and I enjoyed a fantastic evening with a pair of beautiful Australia girls (who, let me tell you…know how to party). Hailey and Hailey were there names. No, that’s not a typo; they really did have the same name…unless of course it was some kind of practical joke. Beautiful women are always so wily. So anyway, we talked with them and competed in a quiz game together. (And even with the announcer cheating to help us, we still got 7th place—go us.). We shared drinks, danced, and enjoyed a great evening. Sadly one of the Haileys was returning to Australia the next day, but it was still a good time. We also met a cool Canadian named Mat, who is traveling with his younger sister. They were fun and interesting and hopefully we’ll see more of them tomorrow. That’s all for now. Pictures to come! Greg out.



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *