BootsnAll Travel Network



Swimming with the Sharks/Ship of Fools

Well, it’s Friday afternoon here at Caye Reef Hotel…Caye Caulker headquarters for ‘You Better Belize It’ for one more night. After a excruciating day of eating, reading, swimming, more eating, drinking coffee/strawberry daiquiri’s & laying in hammocks, we are happy to finally be posting on this blog again. Needless to say, we had a pretty relaxed day here, our final day on the island. The past two days, however, were action packed as we had two exhilarating days out on the water both snorkeling & deep sea ocean fishing.

We decided on Tuesday evening to cast our lot with Carlos, of Carlos Tours (an extremely original name), who received high marks from both our guide books and from several local places we asked around town. The plan was to go on a full day snorkel trip on Wednesday, and perhaps a fishing trip on Thursday. Carlos was quite an interesting fellow…sort of like a character from an eighties movie, where the family goes on vacation to the beach and the semi-wild Pirate local guy takes them under his wing. And he always had that element of very dry, local wit…he would kid with us, but kept it so we weren’t actually sure if he was making fun of us semi-clueless tourists sometimes. Anyhow, the snorkeling trip went so well and Carlos (we think) enjoyed our company so much that on Thursday he asked to be our fishing guide, giving us two full days about the ‘Gypsy’, Carlos’ boat. Its hard to put two long days into words, but if I had to think of a highlight of each day, I would say that swimming w/sharks on the snorkeling trip was something that I’ll never forget. And as far as the fishing went, I would most certainly say that I think we may have been the worst fisherman/women Carlos had ever seen…at one point we were even breaking his equipment in various forms. But all in all they were two fantastic days, and I’ll let the pics do most of the talking. We catch the water taxi tomorrow AM to head back to the mainland for a couple of days, and we will give you more updates then. A pretty great time here on the island, we were kind of just mentioning that we could handle another night, week, month here.

We’d love to hear comments/questions if you have them…enjoy! Let me know if the link below to the photo album doesn’t work

https://picasaweb.google.com/mischaefe/BelizeRound1?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLj_t-QiOKUNA#



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Swimming with the Sharks/Ship of Fools”

  1. Dan says:

    Great pictures and great commentary! Looks like you guys have had an amazing couple of days!

  2. Lynne says:

    Hey Mike and Cheryl! You guys are probably getting down to your last couple of days in paradise. Can’t wait to hear about the rest of your trip and see the pics. LOVED the condo you had the first week. Absolutely beautiful there. One thing I may suggest, but I don’t know if it’s possible . . . on this blog thing. There may be a preference to notify certain people if you post something on the blog. Since most of us wouldn’t think to check the blog on a daily basis, this alerts your loved ones that you posted something. Maybe next trip. Call us when you get back in WY. Love You!

    • mike says:

      You mean you’re not constantly checking for updates???!!! seriously though that is a good idea and we def will look into that for next time…there’s probably an option for that somewhere but i kind of threw this up there quickly this time…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *