BootsnAll Travel Network



Ushuaia: The end of the world. Start riding north….soon

Well we have finally arrived in Ushuaia to start the next big aventure… riding our bikes from ‘the end of the world’, Ushuaia at the southern tip of South America to (hopefully) Mendoza, a distance of about 4000kms.

Surprisingly enough it is pretty cold at the end of the world. We leave tomorrow, rain, hail or shine with a good chance of all.

Yesterday we went on a practice ride out to the southernmost point of the highway in the Tierra del Fuego National Park. It was a beautiful ride, especially on the way back with a 60km/h tailwind… hardly had to pedal going uphill!

Here are a couple of photos from the last couple of days.

Ushuaia 006.jpg

Ushuaia from the air….. quite a mountainous little place

Ushuaia 016.jpg

Mick on the main street of Ushuaia

Ushuaia 018.jpg

Mel riding up to Glacier Martial, above the city.

Ushuaia 020.jpg

On the way out to the Tierra del Fuego National Park

Ushuaia 021.jpg

Mel at the end of the southernmost highway in the world, the Ruta 3, in Tierra del Fuego National Park.

Ushuaia 024.jpg

Mick at the end of the road, I don’t think we’ll make it to Alaska….

Ushuaia 027.jpg

What the *%&$, it was sunny and about 10 degrees a second ago. Now minus something and snowing?! My legs are freezing.

Now also since we have left work our contact details are back to:

mjcoward@hotmail.com and migbutcher@hotmail.com.

Send us an email or leave some encouraging comments here!

Cheers,

Mel and Mick

 



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

5 Responses to “Ushuaia: The end of the world. Start riding north….soon”

  1. Kate Says:

    GO FOR IT MEL AND MICK!!

    How hard can it be riding up all those mountains, right???

    You know you’ll love it and no matter how hard it gets you know in 6 months when you’re back in OZ going to work again you’ll be missing every minute – even those really really hard times when you think you are going to die, trudging slowly up those wet, ice covered mountains, with cars driving crazy all around, and the pain in your chest, arms, legs burning, your ass numb…. oh, sorry I’m meant to be giving words of encouragement!

    You’ll be fine. Have fun. Mick keep her safe and her head on straight.

    I love you guys

    Kate

  2. Posted from Australia Australia
  3. chicko Says:

    Hi guys, sounds like your in for a awsome trip, although I think it may have been better heading south with the wind, just put the spinaker up and cruise.

    Also mick im sure dad wouldn’t mind if you borrowed his bike pants for the trip.

    Perth is going good but we are looking forward to going home for Xmas.

    Have a great time. Pia and Chicko

  4. Posted from Australia Australia
  5. Max Says:

    You two are F@cking Crazy! Good luck!

  6. Posted from Lithuania Lithuania
  7. Michael Says:

    Michael

    Good blog, thanks

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Robert Says:

    that is mental! i mean in a good way…awesome trip!!!! did u try the southern pole too?

Leave a Reply