BootsnAll Travel Network



Lessons learned on the road…Brazil

sshhh… don’t tell Mel’s parents

  1.  Public displays of affection are not only the norm in Rio, they’re kinda expected.  Sadly for B, Mel still hasn’t come ‘round.
  2. When driving in Brazil, feel free to create your own lane – and if on motorcycle, driving in between cars and buses is totally ok.
  3. It sucks to be blind or maimed in Brazil – though I guess that’s true in most countries.  Who knew Rohinton Mistry’s descriptions of beggars in A Fine Balance were so accurate?
  4. Heed safety warnings – like don’t go to Copacabana beach at night. Just ask the poor Swede who was swarmed by three locals and arrived at our hotel covered in blood.
  5. To speak Portuguese (the official language here): Spanish + Italian, spoken with a thick nasal accent.  Don’t say ‘Gracias’.
  6. It sucks to run out of clothes – and wearing a bathing suit cover up (Mel) and jeans (Brendan) for 36 hours in 35 degree heat isn’t particularly a good time.
  7. Your pack only gets heavier and more annoying the longer you’re gone. Surely magnets make ideal souvenirs for everyone back home?
  8. There is a limit to the amount of ham you can eat – no matter how many different ways they try to serve it.  And no, ham will never compete with bacon.
  9. Even Brel can start to annoy each other three months in to a year-long trip. Take a deep breath and repeat the following: “Compromise will NOT kill me. Surely he (she) isn’t this annoying in real life – I’ve spent 2 years with him (her) and surely would have noticed this (fill in the blanks: hygiene/morning cheeriness/ pickiness/ stubborness/pig-headedness) issue before?
  10. Coming up with Top 10 lists isn’t always easy, especially if you only have 9 things to say.


Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply