BootsnAll Travel Network



Kelimutu: the Multicoloured Volcano Lakes

flores-day-3-kelimutu-034.jpg

The active volcano Kelimutu is probably the most famous site of any kind on Flores, and really it’s the reason I (Brendan) had an interest in Coming to Flores, since my first visit to Indonesia almost 20 years ago. Its fame comes from its three crater lakes, each one with a distinct–and continually changing–colour. Pictures of the lakes are on postcards all around the country.

Getting to the volcano summit for sunrise involved a very early morning drive along predictably crappy roads, followed by about a half hour plus hike up to the crater edge. As it turned out, one of the three craters was filled with clouds. Although we couldn’t see the (apparently black) lake, it did make for an eerie, beautiful bowl of clouds that gradually lifted exposing trees and the crater edges.

 flores-day-3-kelimutu-049.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-056.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-073.jpg

Tiwu Ata Mbupu (Lake of Old People) is usually blue and is the westernmost of the three lakes. The other two lakes, Tiwu Nuwa Muri Koo Fai (Lake of Young Men and Maidens) and Tiwu Ata Polo (Bewitched or Enchanted Lake) are separated by a shared crater wall and are typically green or red.

 

.flores-day-3-kelimutu-098.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-127.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-137.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-037.jpg flores-day-3-kelimutu-077.jpg

The local coffee guys who live in the area come up every morning and serve coffee they grow, roast and grind themselves…and they’re quite the characters. One of them got our man Note dressed up, complete with a machete and filter-free kretek (clove) cigarette.

flores-day-3-kelimutu-138.jpg

 

Flores Day 3 - Kelimutu Coffee Man



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply