BootsnAll Travel Network



Dublin and a Good Pint

She Said . . .

For Carl, this trip to Dublin was a visit to the alter of Beer. Dark and strong, with a distinctive taste all it’s own, Guinness. For me, it compares mostly to motor oil, or at least how I would assume motor oil to taste.

I must admit the Guinness Brewery was an education in the art of zymurgy. Who knew the depth and detail that goes in to making beer? With only four ingredients how hard can it be? Evidently, it can be pretty darn complicated. We all got to see what the different kinds of barley and hops look like. They also showed how much work it is to hand make the barrels they used to store it in. Try bending all this wood exactly the same way so you can put a metal collar around it in 6 places. The only part of the barrel they measured was the top.

Dublin also represents one of the few cities on our trip that I have been to, and Carl has not. Given that Carl has been to over 60 countries, that is a strong statement. This won’t happen again.

He Said . . .

As good as mothers milk, and more tasty too, I say!

We stayed in a nice guest house in the south side of the city. We walked a lot. The great news for us was that someone living nearby had a wireless network that they were not protecting so we were able to read CNN and generally stay up to date with happenings. That was nice.

I must say the first day in Dublin was not what I envisioned. We walked about five miles or so and I didn’t see much I liked. Meaning few pubs, boring architecture and general feeling of wanting more. Come to find out, we had walked mostly in the residential areas of the south side of the city and all those post card scenes are nowhere to be found. No worries. The second day we were in the heart of it and I loved it. It is a small city and very walk able. The weather was absolutely perfect for us and we took advantage.

We (I) drank a few pints of the black stuff and enjoyed a few meals in the pubs. We also had a great Indian dinner and a picnic as well. The camera finally came out and we started collecting our memories pictorially. We will begin to share soon.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *