BootsnAll Travel Network



Two People, Two dogs and a Trusty Truck

IMG_0662.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0716.jpgIMG_0766.jpgIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0827.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0658.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0622.jpgIMG_0612.jpgIMG_0579.jpg

After spending a hectic week back in Newport Beach, crashing at Christy’s uncle Sam and aunt Lori’s house, we regrouped for the 2nd leg of our travels-touring the Pacific Northwest with our dogs Harley and Scout for five weeks. We had a very “loose” itinerary to say the least (mostly just which states to visit) and no reservations;  two things Christy is not comfortable with not having.  I told her my usual “Dont worry about it, it’ll all work out” and amazingly, so far it has!  I’m not sure, but I think Christy is almost on board with the “no plans are the best plans for traveling.” 

Our first planned stopped was the Trinity Alps (Shasta Trinity Alps Wilderness) in Northern California, so we spend the majority of the day in the car just getting to Redding!  California traffic never ceases to dissapoint.  After spending the night at a lovely Motel 6, we departed early the next morning for the Trinity Alps.  With our backpacks loaded down with the essentials, the McCrosky clan hiked about six miles into the beautiful, remote wilderness.  We set up camp for a three day/two night stay beside a crystal clear creek.  Our original plan was to camp for three nights, but after two days of hiking, poor Harley’s paws were so raw that he was having a hard time walking.  So, we continued our drive north, stopping for two nights of camping amoung the giant Redwoods near the Redwood National Park.  Those trees were massive!  We were still able to hike in some fairly remote areas of the park and get some really great pictures.  After touring the Redwoods, we crossed the California/Oregon border and drove up the coast, visiting some of the beautiful beaches along the way.  For the next couple of days we camped in southern Oregon near the Umpqua River.  Steve fished for small mouth bass while the dogs enjoyed some swimming.  Southern Oregon is so green and beautiful and there are several hiking trails that lead to waterfalls.  The area reminded Christy a lot of West Virginia so she was feeling right at home.  

Oregon is known for 2 things, beautiful country and lots of rain, and it hasn’t disapointed on either one. We’ve seen some scenery that takes your breath away and also spent a few nights in the tent with rain pouring down outside. West Virginia girls are as tough as nails beacause not many girls could handle camping in the rain for 3 days, and even have fun while doing it.

One thing Christy and I didn’t know about Oregon was the amount of wine produced here!  We spent 2 days driving the Willamette Valley touring different wineries, having a blast.  Oregon’s wine country is “what Napa used to be” and we now believe it. Absolutely beautiful country side scattered with quaint, family owned wineries.  We realized how small this area actually is when we visited our first winery, the owners of the vineyard were the ones pouring us the wine! They told us all about the region and we talked to them about how they ended up in Oregon owning a winery.  Our absolute favorite winery however was a small operation called Reustle.  This winery was unlike any other that we have ever been to.  We sipped delicious wine while munching on appetizers prepared by our host…best of all, it was free!

So, now we are here in Portland for a few days checking out the big city and taking a break from camping.  Tomorrow we head off to a small little cabin we reserved on a farm in Bend, Oregon. The Farm is a cattle farm so Christy is going to feel right at home!



Tags:

One response to “Two People, Two dogs and a Trusty Truck”

  1. Michelle says:

    Hi guys! Aww…your new family is back together. Harley and Scout look like they are enjoying all the hiking and camping. As usual, your pictures are great and it looks so beautiful. I notice that Steve is sporting the hairy look – -how are you liking that Christy?? Steve, good job on teaching Christy that you don’t need reservations and plans. It truely makes traveling more adventurous. Keep us posted when Christy starts saying “don’t worry about it, it will all work out.” Then, you will know you have converted her to a traveller.
    Have fun and thanks for the update!

  2. mom says:

    well, I see Steve talks about Christy coming over to his way of thinking, but by the looks of him, I think the WV is rubbing off…that beard makes you look like a real mountaineer..all you need now is a musket and coonskin cap! As for Christy…she looks really happy too…so traveling with the family has been good to her …just don’t forget…more wine, less climbing!!! hurry east!!!love you guys.

  3. Lori says:

    Looks beautiful and seems like you’re really enjoying the experience. We’d enjoy the scenery, too—Any Ritz-Carlton’s there?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *