BootsnAll Travel Network



Angst and stuff … Emotions on the job

Emotions on the job

Emotional balance

It’s impossible not to have emotions. It’s also impossible not to show your emotions in some way.

The question is: are you in control, or are your emotions driving you?

If your emotions are in control; can you be controlled through them?

The easy answer is to navigate in calm seas by being as non-confrontational as possible.
It’s easy except that from within and without pressures co-mingle and people, their agendas and their camps become entrenched.

Personally, it’s an issue I need to work on. I’d been a manager for three years. I worked in two different locations for a large chain of language schools.

I enjoyed the work and liked the people. The situation was hardly ideal.

Things happened, and it often got to the point of angry words. More often than not, they were my angry words. I got things done. I also put a lot of noses out of joint.

It also got fairly easy for people to push my buttons.

I got into the bad habit of being confrontational as a matter of course. While I honestly believe the causes to have been justified, my reactions could/should have been less operatic.

If you can find that elusive balance,
if you can combine balance with knowledge and experience.
Your position becomes ideal. not at ESL, but in any enterprise as you’re qualified and experienced – as a teacher, a manager, a whatnot working wherever – where so many are not.



Tags:

One response to “Angst and stuff … Emotions on the job”

  1. Steve says:

    Wayne,
    I was there with you on this. You were more time then not very justified in your anger.