BootsnAll Travel Network



Parting Gifts Courtesy of India

The return to Kenya has been a real flop.  I left India sick, but seemingly OK.  I was lethargic the first few days, but OK.  We spent last weekend in Meru celebrating the lives of Pam’s grandparents (Bengi is 86 and spry… that’s about 106 for Americans!) and by Sunday I was more than OK.  Unfortunately, Monday night things slipped way backwards.  After a test – I’ll spare you the details – I have been diagnosed with three parasites including giardia.  Thank you, India!  Now I am taking medications that make me nauseas and more lethargic.  The alien I was prepared to see ripping out of my belly is dying, though.  I’m only half-way with the meds and I know they have not totally killed the beast.  I’m in bed about 18 hours a day.  The other six are pretty fried on the couch.  Definitely concerned!  I lost this whole week 🙁  I feared India going in due to something like this and I can only say that it was a miracle that I went almost five weeks without that fear being reality.  After the last few days, I seriously doubt I will go back to India even though I have a page of want-to-sees/dos for there. 

The filthiest place on earth is also dangerous for your health!  And I have no suggestion for how one could avoid this unless they really do not enter India.  This can be done by only staying at the highest-end resorts/hotels and really never leaving them.  When I was there looking for places to stay I was laughing about how most hotels are less than $25 per night ($4 is easy to find) and then the top places were $500 or more.  How could there be such a big difference?  Easy!  The cost of bringing first-world standards like cleanliness into India must be phenomenally expensive.  If the workers are allowed to leave the premise, they probably sterilize them when they re-enter.  And I am not joking nor am I trying to be cruel.



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Parting Gifts Courtesy of India”

  1. glenn says:

    Geeze Rick, you must be over this, but it sounds bad. I have the solution, bring listerine when traveling, do a shot a day. It won’t kill you, but it will kill most things in their early stages. Great hand wash as well. I have seen Yupik natives drink entire bottles when the liquor stores won’t sell to them anymore, usually mix it with 7up, the “Yupik Cocktail”. Never seen anyone die from it. it also a polygamist mormon remedy of the poverty variety for stomach flu. cheers glenn

  2. janna says:

    I have used grapefruit seed extract. Not for India, but lived three months in Mexico and was the only gringo on the crew who didn’t get sick even tho I ate fruit off the street and brushed my teeth with tap water from apartment…. The person who recommended it to me had traveled all over the world using it to prevent

  3. Mr X says:

    olski
    Where are you?
    Do you wish a van [Kathy’s]
    or Park ave. [Dads]
    I have time to go to Kenya .found cheap flight
    I have a car if you are here…
    Collapse is near
    Oozal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *