BootsnAll Travel Network



Winter in Rio

24 June 2005 (Friday) – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Today, it seemed really bright and blue. Finally, this was perhaps my last chance to get it right by heading to one of the beaches of Rio de Janeiro. At Ipanema beach, I rented a beach chair from Fatima, a lady permanently decked out in bikini, sitting near Posto 8, who makes a living renting out beach chairs and selling drinks to beach-goers.

Fatima, permanently at the beach, renting chairs and selling drinks

Ah… great to be in Rio! I soaked in the sun for maybe 1 hour before the relentless wind set in, blowing a series of clouds across the morros (round mountains) in the distance. While it was still sunny, soon, the wind was proving too strong. Several people left the beach. But I was determined to wait out the wind. So, I sat there, cocooned in my sarong, and continued to read. To be honest, my book was very interesting as well. Brrrr….

Macho men braving the atrocious wind on Ipanema beach

The beach still had some brave determined souls who were determined to lie out there in their beach-wears, goose-pimples notwithstanding. It seemed to be a tacit contest to out-lie, out-tan, outlast one another. Several then grudgingly put on their T-shirts to protect from the wind. Even Fatima, gosh, she and her colleagues (or competitors) are truly the kings and queens of the beaches, aren’t they? Finally, totally dishevelled, I surrendered to nature, packed up and left. What do I expect? This is the wrong season to be in Rio, today is officially the start of winter, afterall.

I took pleasure then, in walking along the avenue of Ipanema until I came upon the canal that connects to Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas. Then, I walked one half of the huge lake, that I learnt used to be part of the sea. There were many people here on some leisure activities, like tennis, rowing, cycling, jogging… I stood on a platform jutting into the lake, admiring the view in front of me of twinkling lights from the houses under the Corcovado mountain, as the sky turned a brilliant blue after sunset.

Guns or not, this is truly a beautiful, beautiful city. Many times, as I take buses here, I couldn’t help but pop my head out to check out the views all around me. Imagine, playing beach volley-ball at Praia Botafogo with the Sugar Loaf mountain as the backdrop… Or walking a couple of blocks straight out from your apartment to the famous sand of Leme, Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon… Or gazing up to the mountains in front of you, and catching the Christ Redeemer gazing back at you from the distance…



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply