BootsnAll Travel Network



Valley of Longevity

12 October 2005 (Wednesday) – Vilcabamba, Ecuador

I woke up and looked out at the view from my room’s balcony… Wow, lovely mountains and a grazing horse, no less. For US$5 a night, with breakfast included, this hotel is really great. And I really think I am alone here, away from all the gringo (Caucasian foreigners) tourists. There is even a swimming pool with strangely green water. Well, Vilcabamba is known as the ‘valley of longevity’. Apparently, it is rumoured that due to the mineral water, tranquil atmosphere and other magical properties of this village, many of the locals live to more than 100 years old. So, perhaps, this strange green water is IT! I gingerly swam a few laps, but it was too cold to stay in there for long.

View from my room

The town centre was sleepy and absolutely peaceful. There just seemed a very nice, relaxed atmosphere here.

I saw a sign for massage, facial and hair treatment. Well, now with my glowing aura, perhaps I should give a glow, or at least TRY to give a glow to my physical self. I decided to have a facial and hair treatment. I was slathered with wholemeal oaty gooey gunk on my face and my hair, aloe vera everything. After nearly an hour, I was released, hopefully, looking as good as new.

Rene had previously lived here in the Vilcabamba mountains. He gave me a mission – to look up his friend, Carlos. There was a little vague direction provided. I saw a boy sitting outside a house and asked him for Carlos. It is his father. What luck. However, Carlos had gone to Loja and would be back tonight. So, I said I would drop by later.

As I had my lunch, a baby and a 3 year-old boy playing nearby, kept staring at me. They looked dumbfounded, stupefied. I smiled, made faces and goo-goo noises but was not able to elicit any responses from them. They just stared. Was it my aura, glowing face or have I left my tiara on my head by mistake?

I walked around the tiny centre and later took a little path and headed off, passing several cafes and hotels that were done up in a style obviously catered for gringos. I guess this is the non-peak season now, but I can certainly imagine the appeal of Vilcabamba. There is something magical about it, I feel. So far in Ecuador, I had stuck to the mountains and the people up in the moutains tend to be more reserved and shy. But here in Vilcabamba, people were bouncing ‘holas’ (hellos) and ‘buenas tardes’ (good afternoon) off me, and smiling merrily. Wow, what a difference! I really feel there is something magic here.

By nightfall, I visited Carlos’ house again, and this time, he was home. He invited me in for a chat. Funnily, he told me that around noon, he sensed something… something to do with Tamara and Rene. So, from Loja, he gave Tamara a call, asking her if she and Rene had something to tell him. Tamara briefly told them a lady from Singapore is here in Vilcabamba and would pay him a visit. Wow, he SENSED it. And around noon was the time when I first found his son outside his house. Anyway, after a short pleasant chat, I left as I did not want to disturb his sons who were doing their homework.

On the way back from dinner, I passed by a house with 2 elderly ladies. They greeted me, and when they noticed I had Oriental features, they yelped in delight and beckoned me over. So, wow, I had a nice little chat with them as well. They told me to visit them tomorrow.



Tags: ,

One Response to “Valley of Longevity”

  1. CC Says:

    Vilcabama sounds like fun. Mountains, greenery, fresh air, good food, pleasant climate. We are oh so jealous! 😉

  2. Posted from Singapore Singapore
  3. gringo Says:

    So you didnt see any other zips did you.

Leave a Reply