BootsnAll Travel Network



V for Vitrofusion

24 October 2005 (Monday) – 25 October 2005 (Tuesday) – Lima, Peru

I spent these two days at Danitza’s workshop learning how to make the glass items and jewellery using the method called vitrofusion. She taught me how to clean the glass, everything about the usage of the paints and what to do to get the items ready for baking in the oven. Meanwhile, I painted an ash-tray, a candle-holder, a soap dish, a salsa dish, a display plate and many pieces to be made into ear-rings, rings and necklaces.

I really love this form of art. I had first seen them in Argentina 3 years ago, and I have always been enchanted by these glass items. I guess I just love the glass material and all the possibilities and surprises one can get from the painting and the baking.

As I talked to her, I realised that if I want to carry on this as a hobby when I go back to Singapore, I would need a whole bunch of supplies like the different colours of paint, the jewellery attachments and bits, the moulds and even the oven! I asked Danitza if there was a supplier of her favourite brand of paint in Singapore. Nope, she ran through the list… only in China. What? And not even in Argentina. Gosh, I could buy some supplies of the other stuff in Argentina just before I leave, and I supposed, I would have to buy the paints here in Lima, but what happens after I have finished them?

By night-time, I was going through the list of suppliers, and wondering how I could organise a network of friends here to buy the stuff for me in the future, when I re-read the China suppliers carefully again and found a Singapore address. Great, we are once again misrepresented as a part of China! But… well, yippee!! At least, it is good to know that I do not have to cart bottles of paint from Lima all the way til the end of my trip. I can buy a whole bunch of things from this Singapore supplier.

Anyway, at the end of the second day, we brought everything to an oven located at Danitza’s friend’s shop. So, we shall see. I am naturally very nervous now, wondering how the glass items and jewellery would turn out. You could not leave even a single small fingerprint on the glass, it would ruin everything. So, I also fear what I had left behind by mistake. But, gosh, I had found these two days at the workshop highly therapeutic and very creative for the soul. I am already dreaming of more designs for my future glass works!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply