BootsnAll Travel Network



Tome La Sopita

13 September 2005 (Tuesday) – Bogotá, Colombia

Today would be my first day let loose in Bogotá by myself. Herman himself kept saying to me, “Gosh, Trisha… you are in the most violent city of the most violent country! You will be a hero when you get back home to Singapore!” When I showed Lina the map of Bogotá’s centre the other day, she had covered up huge portions of the city map, telling me they were dangerous and I should not go there. Felipe cautioned against carrying a bag, and warned me NOT to talk to anyone while on the streets.

Gee… I did not know if they were being overly cautious because they felt responsible for me, a foreigner here, or they had indeed known of many cases of people being robbed or attacked in these areas. I think, likely, for both reasons.

Nevertheless, I could not just stay home, so I headed to town by ‘Transmilenio’ and had a casual stroll along Carrera 7, which seemed quite a principal avenue, all the way to Museo Nacional. Along the way, I popped into CD-stores and checked out artesania galleries selling Colombian souvenirs.

The building of Museo Nacional used to be a prison. It is another beautiful brick building, with 3 long halls radiating out. There was a temporary exhibition of photographs on the ground floor. Wow, superb photos taken by Colombian photographers! Some were very artistic indeed, it was absolutely delightful for me. To my surprise, I saw a photograph with the photographer’s name ‘Herman Pinto’. Huh?? Is this my Herman? The same first and last name! And Herman likes photography too!! I had to ask him tonight or tomorrow when I see him.

Museo Nacional

The rest of the exhibitions was immense and very, very good, telling about the archaeological history and cultures of Colombia. I took a long time, exploring the ground floor, trying to understand the various pre-columbiano tribes in the different parts of Colombia and their cultures. When I was done, I thought that was it and prepared to leave as I was already exhausted. Then I realised, there were still more displays in the first and second floor. Goodness!

On the way back along Carrera 7, I was suddenly stopped on the street by a TV crew. A lady marched right up to me and asked me something in Spanish. The camera was directed right at my face. I panicked. I did not understand a word she said. I quickly explained I spoke very little Spanish, but she said, nevermind, she would repeat the question again very slowly. Still, I did not understand her. She tried a few times, and finally, I managed to understand something. She seemed to be asking me what are the things that I feel fed up or angry about. Huh?? At this point, I had been thoroughly enjoying my days in Colombia, happy as a bird. There was nothing bad in my mind! I mean, if you had asked this question when I was in Singapore right about the time when I decided to resign, there would be a long list already imprinted in my head. But here, while travelling, I would say, very very little. Seeing that I was spell-bound, she then changed the topic and asked me where I was from, if I liked it here in Colombia, blahblahblah… Gosh, I was a total embarrassment! Assuming footages of me do not end up on the cutting-room floor, the whole country of Colombia would see ME – the stupid tourist from Singapore who did not understand a word – er… right about next week! Argh!! Felipe had told me NOT to talk to anyone on the street. In the end, I ended up possibly talking to the whole Colombia via national TV!

When I reached home by around 6pm, Herman’s mother and abuelita (little granny) heaved a great sigh of relief. They had been thoroughly worried for my safety, or whether I got lost. Oh, the poor dears, sitting at home and worrying about me! I had felt thoroughly fine the whole day. Never once did I feel threatened. In Lima, I had felt some sense of danger. But here in Bogotá, at least for today, it was an absolutely fine day for me, peacefully exploring a little of the city.

Felipe, abuelita, Herman's mother and Herman at the back

Well, in a way, I really thanked Julian for getting us evicted from Lina’s house. For the family of Herman had been absolutely absolutely amazing to me!!! Totally unbelievable. Every morning, his abuelita kept an eye out for me and the minute I finished my shower, my wet hair still plastered awkwardly, she would seat me down and serve me breakfast. In the evening, after I got back, my hair still dishevelled from the wind, she would again seat me down, and insist that I have a sopita (little soup) first and then, soon, she would bring out the freshly-cooked dinner. She had asked me to come home for lunch as well, not to waste money outside. And when I tried to do the dishes, I was absolutely prohibited, barred from the kitchen. Herman’s mother runs an internet shop down in the garage and also lets me use the internet for free, totally refusing my payment. Oh my gosh, I cannot imagine how I got to deserve such marvellous treatments from the family!!



Tags: ,

One Response to “Tome La Sopita”

  1. Herman Pinto Pabón Says:

    Hi:
    This is Herman Pinto, the colombian photographer. I´m glad you visit our country ando you are still alive (just kidding).
    Please, visit my website; I´d like your comments to make it better.
    Thanks… Herman

  2. Posted from Colombia Colombia

Leave a Reply