BootsnAll Travel Network



To Huaraz

18 October 2005 (Tuesday) – Cajamarca to Huaraz, Peru

Long day of travel today, as I took the afternoon bus to Trujillo and then, the night bus to Huaraz.

Gosh, while I had sung praises of the superb mountain sceneries in various of my day buses in Colombia and Ecuador, this is once again another extremely scenic route. We climbed up the mountains and then, descended and travelled along the river bed. Everywhere, it was just awesome looking!!

The video, when we got on the bus, was all the forgotten 80s’ hits! Gosh, a flood of childhood memories came trashing back… Bananarama’s ‘Cruel Summer’… Bangles’ ‘Maniac Monday’… the hair, the blush, the shoulder pads… Billy Idol and his ashen face… a resurrected Michael Hutchence… Duran Duran’s ‘The Reflex’… I could not believe I still knew the lyrics to some of these songs! I guess the songs that you grow up with, no matter how cringe-worthy they appear now, stay with you forever. Then, more pirated VCDs’ movies… It is my third time on this trip watching ‘The Island’.

Later on the night bus up to Huaraz, we actually climbed from near sea-level to more than 3,000m. I expected to be rocked side to side, being totally deprived of sleep. But I was pretty impressed with the bus company Linea’s service so far, and with the slow gentle driving, I actually had quite a good sleep.



Tags: , ,

One Response to “To Huaraz”

  1. khcj Says:

    been following your journey with Google.earth;
    spectacular terrain , not getting good resolution at this point, but soaring like an eagle gives me indication of terrain and altitude – you go getter, making me envious ;-(((
    Where are you Photo postings? enjoy the stir fry ;-p

  2. Posted from Canada Canada

Leave a Reply