BootsnAll Travel Network



The Real ‘Falso’

22 November 2005 (Tuesday) – Santa Cruz to Sucre, Bolivia

While Bolivians whom I met on the streets are certainly quite friendly, I could not say the same for the services here. Now that I was seriously looking to buy a pair of earrings, as I made inquiries at various shops, I was just faced with disgruntled, unsmiling faces. I left not because I did not like the earrings there, but because I did not like the services. Later, one smiley lady beckoned me over to her shop selling leather sandals. I had no need for one, but for 40 bolivianos and with an impeccable service, I bought a pair.

Later, finally, at a shop near the plaza, I found good service and coincidentally, several earrings quite to my liking. I took a long time to choose. I know, you are probably thinking that I am spending US$200 or something. No, they cost like US$20-US$25, but still, it means a lot to me. I finally selected a pair and bargained down to US$21. Ka-ching!

Now that I had really run out of bolivianos, I went to the Money Changer next door to try and change more bolivianos. I handed over a US$20 and US$50, and to my horror, the guy returned my US$50 note, claiming it was a ‘falso’ (counterfeit).

W-H-A-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!

I had my money changed in Singapore. I could not believe I had been cheated there! I nearly had a ‘falso’ situation back in Bogota, but my host family had told me it was NOT a counterfeit and I managed to use it. But this time, I think this is a real ‘falso’. And it was ALL OF US$50!!!! US$50 means a lot to me at this point of my trip. If I had known, I might not have splashed on the pair of earrings just now. Now, when I am extremely low on cash, to discover I have to flush another US$50 down the drain. ARGH!!!!

What was worse was that, while I do like South America very much, I was running out of money now, and yeah, perhaps, it was time to head home. Gosh, I had told my poor mother I would be gone for 3 months. Now, it was already a week shy of 6 months! Unfortunately, I could not find a flight home until, perhaps, mid-January. Now, I have the time, but perhaps, not the money to last til then. My brother back in Singapore is keeping tabs for me with my travel agent. We shall see.

I was horrified, and studied the note in detail. I could never tell fake notes apart, especially dollar notes, because there are so many OLD notes in circulation, without the fancier trimmings. Of course, the Money Changer guy did not haul me to the police station and incarcerate me. But I walked away, utterly in shock, utterly in misery.

I went to a bench on Plaza 24 de septiembre to grief. And there, I spotted Naoki. It seemed I keep running into him at plazas. I told him my whole counterfeit US$50 story. Looking at my glum face, he started to laugh and even smacked my shoulder. Is this his way of consoling me? Cruel race.

Rene, my Reiki friend from Cuenca, had recommended me to read Deepak Chopra’s ‘Las Siete Leyes Espirituales de Exito’ (The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success) and coincidentally, I had just finished poring through Law Number 1 last night (not easy for me in Spanish!). It was The Law of Pure Potenciality (forgive the bad translation). I was to meditate twice a day, keep silent and experience nature, and not to make judgements. OK… so I stared at the flowers in the park and tried not to remember the face of the (argh!!) money-changer in Singapore.

Hmmm… to make my money stretch… should I find a cave, meditate and feed on tree barks, you think?

I left for Sucre on the bus-cama in the afternoon. To my horror, there is no toilet on the bus. This is a 15-hour bus ride! I had ASSUMED there would be an attached toilet, and did not bother to ask. Also, there was no air-conditioner or whatever. I am claustrophobic, and it did not help that the seƱor sitting next to me had quite a BO (Argh! Don’t judge, don’t judge!). I was glad to have the window opened, giving me fresh air to survive through this ride.



Tags: ,

2 Responses to “The Real ‘Falso’”

  1. sergio Says:

    I noticed the same thing in Bolivia, shopkeepers appear to be rude. I believe the problem is that they expect customers to greet them politely and then ask questions regarding their merchandise. If you just ask bluntly “how much is this, etc, etc” I think they take offense that you did not salute them first. My sister and I believe this to be the cause, its a cultural thing…

    Bolivian customer service in Bolivia is a big problem… they act like they’re doing you a favor by selling you goods. Ignorance? Arrogance? A pity really.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    Well, I always always always greet them with ‘Buenos Dias’ or ‘Buenas Tardes’ the minute I enter. And even if I leave without ever lifting an item or asking a question, I always thank them, kinda for letting me browse around. Once, I actually flip through several cushion covers and when I spotted some nice ones, I asked what was the price. The lady told me a price that I did not quite like, so I put everything back. To which she replied, “Always ask for the price first before disordering the things.” Wow, some service indeed! Anyway, it is perhaps a cultural thing. On the other hand, I always got great smiley services from Colombians, even if I bought nothing. Another cultural thing!

  4. Posted from Bolivia Bolivia

Leave a Reply