BootsnAll Travel Network



Memorable

18 September 2005 (Sunday) – Pasto, Colombia

Sunday in nearly all South American towns are dead towns. Pasto was very quiet today, as well, with nearly all the shops and restaurants shut.  However, there were still some healthy sporty activities in the morning as certain lanes were closed for the Sunday cycling event commonly seen in other Colombian towns as well.

Lanes are closed for cycling in most Colombian towns on Sundays

Still, I walked all over the town, making detours to check out interesting churches which I had glimpsed in the distance. Although I had seen quite a number of churches now, some of the ones here in Pasto were indeed very lovely.

Another gorgeous church

Shopping is often done behind locked bars, for the protection of the shopkeepers 

I found a Parque Infantil, which is a children’s park and settled down to read. I noticed a family of 3, sitting some distance from me. They seemed to be observing me. Then, to my surprise, when I happened to look up from my book, their little son was apparently sent over to check me out first. He was looking at me and smiling shyly. I immediately greeted him and asked him to sit on the grass next to me. He is Juan Felipe, just 6 years old. As we chatted, he would look back at his parents, apparently for prompts on more questions for me. I then joined them over at their side and spent a while talking with them. They were really nice.

Family I met at Parque Infantil

Later, over lunch, I had to share a table with a guy due to the crowd and this guy immediately started a conversation with me as well, about God, Christianity and other oriental religions. Wow, although it was a topic that I could not really contribute, I was delighted at how friendly he was in sharing this topic with me. What a refreshing conversation!

Even by evening, when I went out for dinner, the waiter also came over to chat with me. He later gave me a card written, “Me gustan las mujeres chinitas… como amigitas” (I like Chinese women… like friends). The last bit ‘like friends’ was added as an afterthought in order not to have his card misunderstood, I think. Haaha…

Wow, time and time again, I am amazed by the friendliness and smiliness of the Colombians whom I could simply fall into conversations with easily. I am leaving Colombia soon, and I must say that I am leaving with a tinge of sadness. Before I came, I had some fears, having heard all the bad news of Colombia about kidnapping of tourists, drug-wars, murders, guerilla activities, etc… But I wanted to do a trip around the northern part of South America and that meant passing Colombia. I knew I would have more fear about a lot more things as I grow older. Hence, I really wanted to do this trip now, before I totally chicken out. And so, I was determined to come to Colombia to see for myself how things are. Yep, why hear things from other people when I can experience them for myself? And boy, am I truly glad that I made the effort to come here for Colombia has been very special and very memorable for me indeed!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply