BootsnAll Travel Network



Mellow Fellow Belo

27 June 2005 (Monday) – Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Let me explain a little about the layout of Belo Horizonte. Imagine, squares with criss-crossing 1-way streets. Then, imagine, another series of squares, much larger… perhaps, between 4 to 5 of the smaller squares. These are the 2-way avenues. Tilt the larger squares at 45 degrees to the small ones, and superimpose both together. There, you have the centre of Belo Horizonte.

With this design, there would inadvertently be spots where the junction of 2 streets is crossed by an avenue, thereby creating a junction of 3 roads, or 6 radiating lines. In theory, there is the possibility of 8 radiating lines, where the junction of 2 avenues meet the junction of 2 streets but the good city-planners of Belo Horizonte never let that disaster happen, by creating a square here, or a round-about there, sneakingly diverting the unsuspecting traffic away.

Utterly chaotic crossroads!!

So, at each junction with 3 roads (1 of the road has 2-way traffic, mind you), it was always utter chaos for me. I never knew when or how to cross the roads. Sometimes, there would be a lull, and I would attempt to cross… only to have massive traffic, usually appearing from my blind-spot, bearing down towards me. Then, I tried to follow the fellow Belo’s crossing habits. In my 2-microseconds of inattention, he would have spotted a mini-gap between the vehicles and leapt across to THE OTHER SIDE. The contours of Belo Horizonte are also very undulating. So, it was rather a mean feat for a car to zoom straight down from that hill at top speed, then, make a left turn… not of 90 degrees, but of 135 degrees, and then, zip straight up another slope, all with enough horsepower. I made full use of the rotating capabilities of my head each time I ended up on such a junction. Then, of course, when I did manage to get to the other side, I would have to recheck the map again on which radiating line to follow.

Anyway, with these little escapades enough for a Monday morning, I wandered down to Mercado Central. This is another massive market, but permanent, selling all sort of food, household items, baskets, pets, and other assorted home decorations. It was a huge maze, and I found it rather delightful as well, with many interesting things and people to observe.

Mercado Central of Belo Horizonte

I navigated to Parça da Liberdade to admire the contrasting styles of the buildings around. There were some buildings, namely the Palacio, of neoclassical style, some of modernistic style like the Mineralogy Museum and that retro-looking curvy building on its opposite side which I rather like. I spent some relaxing time sitting in the nice park and reading my book.

A typical 'lanchonete', selling snacks like X-burger

By evening, I was rather charmed by a little band playing Cuban son, one of my favourite kind of music!, on one of the squares near Praça Sete. I found myself standing there a good half an hour listening to the great music. The squares seemed perfect for the mellow Belos to hang out. Some middle-aged and elderly men were playing checkers on one side. And teenage boys were skate-boarding at the other end.

Although I had not done much today, I had been thoroughly charmed by the unassuming city of Belo Horizonte so far.



Tags: ,

One Response to “Mellow Fellow Belo”

  1. Li Li Says:

    the black and white round board chess game…it’s called Otello? Ya?

  2. Posted from Singapore Singapore

Leave a Reply