BootsnAll Travel Network



Leaving Brazil

9 August 2005 (Tuesday) – Manaus to Boa Vista, Brazil

Despite being very sick yesterday, I would leave for Venezuela today. I was given a 60-day visa for Brazil. I had thought I would be travelling for 5 or 6 weeks in this country. But somehow or other, maybe it was because of the great hosts I had been staying with, I ended up staying much longer than I expected at each place and travelling much slower. So, can you imagine, without me really realizing it… tomorrow would be my 59th day in Brazil. Just in time!

The road to Venezuela had been closed on Sunday but by yesterday, it had reopened and I was able to buy a ticket.

The price of the ticket from Manaus to Santa Elena de Uraien is R143.50. But, if I buy the ticket from Manaus to Boa Vista and then, at Boa Vista, I jump off the bus to buy the ticket from Boa Vista to Santa Elena, it would be R80.50 + R22 = R102.50. Strange. Of course, I just bought the ticket to Boa Vista.

To celebrate my departure, I had another very good lunch at Restaurante Mandarim. By now, the owner of the restaurant was talking to me as if I were her future daughter-in-law.

I returned home to pack my things. I gave Eliosa a tip, and put it in a Chinese New Year red packet (that is our preferred way to give money, hidden in a red packet). Here in Brazil, tips are rather uncommon, so when she opened it, she was absolutely delighted! Gosh, she had been great to me, taking such good care of me yesterday.

With Nathan and Eliosa

Now, I just had to remember to take this medication every 6 hours, this other one every 8 hours and this Vitamin C every 12 hours. Sheesh.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply