BootsnAll Travel Network



¡Hola china!

20 August 2005 (Saturday) – Caracas to Valencia to Tucacas, Venezuela

Although Venezuela is in South America, it is in the northern hemisphere. That is why now in August, it is the summer vacation and everyone is on holidays! And I picked today, a weekend, to go to Tucacas, which is the jumping off point to visit Parque Nacional Morrocoy. Gosh, I hope I can get accommodations. Rosa had tried to call up her usual posada, but they were fully booked. Well, I guess, if I could not find any place to stay, I would have to take another bus and go on to another city. What can I do?

At Valencia, I got onto their local bus. I had no idea how long it would take to arrive in Tucacas but I had had nothing to eat since morning. I only arrived in Tucacas at 2:30pm, terribly famished. As I got off the local bus, the fare-collector told me to go to the supermarket at the corner which is run by Chinese and ask them for recommendations for a posada. OK. The fact that I am Chinese seemed very obvious to these people.

I went in and asked. The Chinese boy did not know anything. But the Venezuelan security guard tried to give me directions and a little boy even took me there. Great, I found my accommodation in less than 10 minutes. The German owner Norbert even organised boat trips around the beaches and there was an excursion going tomorrow. Excellent!

I headed out to eat. Tucacas is really just a one-street town, with nothing much to see. It is also filled with a lot of Venezuelan tourists. As it was close to late afternoon and evening now, near the boat docks, many boats were returning from the islands with families of Venezuelan tourists, all in their swim-wear and colourful sarongs and floats, all deeply tanned.

And people here kept hollering out to me, “¡Hola, china!”, “China, mi amor…”, “¡Chinita linda!”. Sometimes, I tried to be friendly and waved an ‘hola’ but other times, they looked at me really sleazily, blowing kisses or whatever, and I was really nervous and had to pretend to be deaf.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply