BootsnAll Travel Network



A big public THANK YOU

I was thinking about our travels this morning while I got ready for work. I was thinking about how lucky we were to see the things we saw, do the things we did, and just have all those great experiences. That made me think about the people who made it possible, and that while I’ve tried to let them know how much we appreciate everything, I should give them public recognition. So like acknowledgements for a book I thought I’d just write a little thank you to everyone who helped make it possible for us to take nearly two years off and travel.
First, obviously, our families have been great. Not only were they supportive, they also took care of our pets while we were overseas (and some still are). So the Theisens and the Carters deserve big thanks for that. Someone asked me the other day how our families reacted when we told them we were quitting our jobs to travel. I said, ‘Oh, they were really excited for us.’ He couldn’t believe it. Not all parents would be behind an idea like that.
Then, in order of where we visited:
First, Mery came through at the last minute and provided a temporary home for Squeakie when previous lodging didn’t work out, even though it meant having 4 cats in her house. Very much appreciated!
In Hong Kong Ray took us out for a nice dinner (the buffet was crazy big) and we watched the fireworks. Awesome.
In Thailand Pareena’s family not only gave us an apartment to stay at in Bangkok and showed us around the city but also took us to parts of Thailand most visitors never get to see and showed us an absolutely wonderful time. Anytime any of the family want to visit Colorado, you are more than welcome at our house.
While we were in Bali our house sold, and Shane got a hand cramp from signing the closing papers for us. When we closed on our new house a few weeks ago I remembered how many times you have to sign!
In Perth Anthony and Jesse were wonderful. They opened up their home for us and even picked us up at the airport. Thanks again, guys. And thanks to Bob for taking us out for beer.
Back in the States we’ve managed to visit Dave’s aunt Lori and uncle Bud and my aunt Lori and uncle Jon. My sister and brother-in-law, Sadie and Matt have taken us back and forth between our hometown and the airport in St. Louis a couple times, and my brother Kenny and his wife Heather gave us a place to stay when I was on my way out to Colorado for an interview. We got to visit Brice, our North Dakota connection both summers we were vagabonding and not only enjoyed fishing, canoeing, and honky-tonk dancing but also saw the northern lights. We also came through Denver to visit Carin both summers we were traveling and that may have helped cement us ending up living here. We got to attend Hank and Kirsten’s wedding in Vegas, stop by their house in Albuquerque and also visit with them in Colorado Springs before Hank went off to Afghanistan.
The friends we met in Malaysia were great, and made us feel at home while we were there. We think of the good times we had there often.
In Africa we had a great time with Skova (thanks Melanie for recommending him) and met some new friends on Kilimanjaro and in Zanzibar and Pemba who email occasionally.
Anyway, I think this is getting long and disorganized now so I’ll just leave it with: all our family and friends, please come visit us in Colorado! We are anxious to extend the hospitality everyone gave us while we were traveling.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *