BootsnAll Travel Network



Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai

train-1.jpg

Leaving Bankok – another new travel experience – night sleeper trains in Thailand – you start out with 2 sitting seats – they turn into a bottom bunk, the top bunk pulls down from the top.  They have sheets, pillow, blanket, and curtains.  Josh said he slept incredibly.  It was nice in that everyone had their own space.

train-2.jpg

Annika’s head sticking out from top berth

train-3.jpgtrain-4.jpg

Juniper Tree:  This was a real treat. Tim called his former teacher from boarding school days in Pakistan, who is now the principal an international school in Chiang Mai. She recommended us to this place, which is normally set aside for mission families and NGO workers, but they let us come stay for a few days since they weren’t full. It was set in beautiful gardens, with a pool and meals included.

juniper-1.jpgjuniper-2.jpgjuniper-3.jpgjuniper-4.jpg

Tiger Kingdom:  There are 2 groups that house Bengal tigers and allow people to pet them.  One is near Bangkok and is run by monks; the other is newer and in Chiang Mai.  We decided to do the one in Chiang Mai because it is close to the city rather than spending all day getting in and out of Bankok to see one.  If you read about them on the web, get opinions about them ranging from adamant disapproval to high ratings. Some say the tigers are drugged; some say not. We spoke with one couple who lived in Chiang Mai, whose friend was bitten by a large tiger and was still in the hospital.  In this instance, the “trainer” who was supposed to be the “protector” basically threw his stick down and high tailed it out of the cage.  Another male tourist who happened to be in the cage grabbed the lady and got out the gate.  Since we had also heard good tings about this place, our curiosity got the better of us and we decided to go see it, but we also decided that we would only go in with the newborns.  Below are pictures of that experience.  Unfortunately, young Bengal tigers had gotten older than we wanted to be in a cage with, but there were 2 lion cubs, which we got to pet.  Incredible beasts up close. Their habitat was clean, but too confined.  We came away with more of a sorry feeling than neat experience.

Annika WritingTiger Kingdom – In Tiger Kingdom   I got to pet a real baby lion. It was totally awesome! You also could pet a huge tiger or a medium tiger. The small tigers I couldn’t pet because they got too big for me to hold. If it were a month later, there would be new baby tigers that I could hold. There was 2 baby lions. 1 was named Ben and the other was named Dave. Their mom and dad were at the Bangkok zoo. There wasn’t much space for the tigers and the lion. I felt really bad for them. It was fun but sad.

tiger-1.jpgtiger-2.jpgtiger-3.jpgtiger-4.jpgtiger-5.jpgtiger-6.jpgtiger-7.jpgtiger-8.jpgtiger-9.jpgtiger-9a.jpg

University Hospital – the doctors and friends that Natalie worked with when she was there.  The neat thing was when we were trying to find the parasitology lab and co-workers from 20 years ago, we had a lady trying to explain who we were and what we were there for.  By chance, she happened to knock on a professor’s door and explain it again, and his first words that came out were “Natalie Campbell?!”  He didn’t even hesitate – kind of amazing.

Natalie here…I didn’t even recognize Chiang Mai, and th kids were giving me a bad time, because I couldn’t find my way around the Univ. Hospital, even though I had worked there for 9 months! But this was a highlight to the Thailand portion of our trip to see people who had been good friends and helpers when I came to Thailand 20 years ago.

univer-2.jpg

Natalie’s former apartment on the campus

univer-1.jpg

Another travel mode experience – called “sangteow” – a little more room than tuk tuks, but we had all our bags

travel-1.jpgtravel-2.jpg

Art:  seen outside a tourist shop – we’ll call this modern sculpture – it is quite incredible – it is from all kinds of metal (note the screws, chain, etc). 

sights-3.jpgsights-2.jpg

Heading to hawk one’s food at the night bazaar

sights-1.jpg

Wat (Temple) where we went to a “monk talk” and spoke for 20 minutes or so with a monk. Each of us came armed with 2 questions.

wat-4.jpgwat-1.jpgwat-2.jpgwat-3.jpgwat-5.jpg

Monk Talk:  “school work time – religion studies”.  We happened to hear about a wat where at a certain time you can sit down with the monks and talk about Buddhism and wat (ha ha) it is like to be a monk – or whatever you want to ask.  Initially, the kids groaned, but after the experience they kind of enjoyed it.  We told them they had to come up with 2 questions and had to run the conversation without our help.

monk-1.jpgmonk-2.jpg

Natasha and Natalie took a jewelry class – silver making.  Here is Tasha making herself a silver ring.  She did not want to go on the zipline trip – so this was her treat.

Natasha Writing:   Jewelry Class – In Chiang Mai, I did a silver making class with Mom. It was really fun but it took a long time because you had to draw the design you wanted on a piece of paper. I wanted to make a ring so I had to find the size I needed for my finger and the width and thickness of the ring I wanted. I also needed the length of the ring so our teacher gave me the formula: L = size + (thickness x 3.14). Then you get started, he gave me my piece of silver and I heated it up to get it softer.  It was too fat so I had to roll it though a roller thing to flatten it so it is the right thickness.  After that, I heated it up again and glued my paper design to it. Then I chiseled my design into the silver. That took a long time because I had to make sure it connected to the indent before it. Then I had to cut off the extra silver with a little saw. That made my wrists hurt because you had to cut straight up and down. Then I had to heat it again and I drilled a hole in the middle. Then I got rid of the hard edges on it by filing, and heated it again and then I made it round. After I got it to where I wanted it to fit, I heated it again and put it in some kind of hot water. After that I scrubbed off the white stuff that the hot water stuff put on it. Then I polished it. Then it was ready! Even though it took a long time it was rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyy fun!!!!!

jewelry-2.jpgjewelry-3.jpgjewelry-1.jpg

Zip Line:  Chiang Mai is close to the mountains and has all kinds of outdoor activities – mnt biking, white water rafting, elephant rides, etc.  – Below are the pictures – real fun.  The zip line part took 3 hours – had 22 platforms, 18 zip line sections, and at the height was 210 feet up in some spots.

Josh WritingJungle Zip Line -One exciting thing we did in Chaing Mai was go on a zip line ‘cruise’ through the jungle. It was really rather fun. Some of the zip lines were really long; some were short. The place we went to was called Jungle Flight. It had 22 platforms, 3 bridges and the 3 drops. The drops were where they attached a rope to your back and then ‘dropped’ you down to a platform below the one you were standing on. The first one was rather short and the second one was a bit farther but the last one, oh it was scary. You pretty much just step off the platform and fall until the guides slow you. The thing is, you are seven stories above the ground. Overall, it was worth it. 

zip-21.jpgzip-41.jpgzip-9e.jpgzip-9c.jpgzip-1.jpgzip-8.jpg

Nice shot! The guides made me do the “Superwoman” zip on this one by attaching the zipline to the back instead of to the front, as normal.

zip-9a.jpgzip-9d1.jpgzip-3.jpgzip-5.jpgzip-9b.jpgzip-61.jpgzip-7.jpg



Tags:

137,559 responses to “Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai”

  1. I think that what you posted was actually very reasonable.
    But, what about this? what if you were to write a killer post title?

    I am not saying your information is not solid., however what if you added a headline that makes people want more?

    I mean Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia is kinda vanilla.
    You could peek at Yahoo’s front page and watch how
    they create article titles to get people to open the links.

    You might add a video or a pic or two to grab people
    excited about everything’ve got to say. In my
    opinion, it would make your posts a little bit more interesting.

  2. Leonie says:

    Com Renascença, Zuanetti (2000) afirma que rosto pálido continuou
    como padrão de venustidade nos séculos XV e também XVI. http://Www.Phytostem.com/UserProfile/tabid/398/UserID/93037/Default.aspx

  3. Though, packing does not need wonderful talent it calls for correct preparing and organisation skill.Joe Burke writes under the names jbmuchin and augustus1. Have in mind which you will be needing to provide justification to your actions, so continually consult an experienced professional to determine what your safest alternative would be. Pick their brains when you can. The only way to get potential customers to read your emails is to convince them that they have value.
    Cheap Jerseys http://www.cheapjerseysdiscount.us.com/

  4. The cause that this can be this kind of a fantastic starting stage is it can narrow down the places that have these functions. Choose a system that you are going to want to stick with.Article From Article Directory DatabaseHolliday Takes BP Still Not In LineupRealGM WiretapCardinals outfielder Matt Holliday took batting practice prior to Tuesday’s Game 3 against the Phillies, but he was not in the lineup.Greatest suggestions for free movies streaming as well as installing Everyone loves to observe videos so if you’re crazy about movies then you can look for a big series over world wide web. Use concerns in headers.
    Cheap Jerseys China http://www.cheapnflsportsjerseys.us.com/

  5. Good article. I am experiencing some of these issues as well..

  6. fun88 says:

    Blackjack, Craps, Video Poker, Baccarat, Sic Bo and Roulette
    are all ineligible for assembly rollover requirements.

  7. Hi I am so excited I found your website, I really found you by error,
    while I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways
    I am here now and would just like to say
    many thanks for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at
    the minute but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

  8. qtdnmqefy says:

    Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    aqtdnmqefy
    qtdnmqefy http://www.gh79qw5af73ogs695g0am0tq8v60m244s.org/
    [url=http://www.gh79qw5af73ogs695g0am0tq8v60m244s.org/]uqtdnmqefy[/url]

  9. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this website, for the reason that i want enjoyment, since this this web page conations actually nice funny information too.

  10. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of the website is also really good.

  11. Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  12. Tell a story with your email marketing campaign. Believe it or not, you will like to come back using this kind of customer care. Whenever you plan for the vacation abroad, then it really is an ought to that you should utilize, for the trNats Scherzer Flirts With Perfect Game Ks 16RealGM WiretapA dominant Max Scherzer struck out a Nationalsrecord 16 and threw a onehitter, losing his perfectgame bid on Carlos Gomez’s brokenbat, bloop single in the seventh inning as Washington beat the Milwaukee Brewers 40 Sunday. It will prove to be one of the best selections of your life. Instead, put a sufficient amount of information in a series of emails and be sure that each one contains a few paragraphs.

  13. Right before you choose to put your funds down and buy real estate as being a buyer, have a look at these great tips about buying in any market. The individuals who live and perform right next to your possible house have initiallyhand encounter with the area. So try spicing up your subject line with some creativity. Believe it or not, you will like to come back using this kind of customer care. Copy writing strategies could be employed when adding content, but in such a way that it’s not going to end up like an infomercial.

  14. Mar 22-27: Chiang Mai » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  15. escort says:

    I don’t even know how I ended up right here, but I assumed this
    post was great. I don’t understand who you might be however certainly you are going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

  16. Consider exploring additional revenue chances once your web marketing business is popular. Sent frequently from known and stable IP addresses is best.Article From Article Directory DatabaseHome Hunting Designed Simple With These Very simple SuggestionsThe nation is presently rebooting within a multitude of unique regions. Rather, you should offer informative insights into your products and business while slipping in an occasional marketing message. Some choices may include the establishment of a trust or a familyrun LLC.
    Cheap Jerseys From China

  17. Hello to all, the contents present at this web page are genuinely remarkable for people experience, well, keep
    up the good work fellows.

  18. Promozione says:

    hey there and thank you for your information – I’ve
    certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this
    web site, as I experienced to reload the web site lots of times previous to
    I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your
    placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.
    Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look
    out for a lot more of your respective fascinating content.

    Ensure that you update this again soon.

  19. hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainly picked up anything new from
    right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the website a lot of times previous to
    I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web
    hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will
    very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads
    and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a
    lot more of your respective exciting content.

    Make sure you update this again soon.

  20. Jaxon says:

    Excellent web site, uploaded good article as well as interesting post and also
    helpful for other individuals that want’s to collect expertise regarding of internet site and seo.

    Also visit my web page brisbane search engine optimisation – Jaxon

  21. People choose to work at property due to the advantages like managing to stay at home along with little
    ones and also not dealing with an everyday commute.

  22. make money from home stock markket crashes work for you by tawking the chance to buy extra shares when they’re priced low.

  23. Browse others boards and locate ideas for from cooking, and decorating, to technology and travel.
    Boards will be the individual pages what is the best your pins appear.

    pinterest login facebook

  24. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to
    assert that I get in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

  25. blowjob says:

    Every weekend i used to go to see this web page, for the reason that i want enjoyment, since this
    this website conations in fact nice funny stuff too.

  26. 4. They should not merely toss the bucks without knowing what they are going to get. “He’s still continuing to feel good as he goes out and plays catch, and throwing, receiving.”While everyone in Atlanta likes Bourn, the belief is that the Braves won’t be able to afford him. An ADHD child will respond better to a routine that has very little room for change to keep from disrupting their psyche.
    Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping

  27. One among such jobs is that of a clinical medical assistant. The quantity of period, work as well as cash that the rivals possess spent in to SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION such as hyperlink creating, content creation as well as distribution, may usually impact as well as figure out how a lot you need to to have comparable outcomes.”It didn’t feel real great, as expected,” Mike Matheny said. This is a major problem. Whether you abandon yourself to substances, processes or people, your inner child €?which is your feeling self will feel abandoned by your choice to avoid responsibility for your feelings.
    Cheap Authentic NFL Jerseys

  28. Therapy It has been shown that regular exercise is one way to maintain and reach optimal health. Do not draft Skelton but this is definitely a situation to keep an eye on this year. Expressing an motivational story for people to relate with your manufacturer might help advertise your products in the good lighting. Very low enterprise bills translate into lower retail rates for your personal merchandise. Very low enterprise bills translate into lower retail rates for your personal merchandise.
    Cheap NFL Jerseys

  29. By doing this, you’ll allow your ADHD child to have a superior chance of learning to contend with and function in daily life with this disorder. . Cleveland has very young players at the skill positions that he can easily bond with. Get more info through best seo analysis software. I think it is a HUGE stretch to imagine Sam Bradford even approaching the skill and success of Tom Brady, yet, the Rams decided that monetarily, he was worth more.
    Cheap Jerseys From China

  30. I AM UNWORTHY AND UNLOVABLEWhen you did not receive the love you needed as a small child, you might have concluded that the reason you were not loved was because you were bad, flawed, defective, unworthy, unlovable, or unimportant.”Garza hasn’t pitched since July 21 when he left with cramping in his triceps. This guide contains lots of ideas which can be used in starting an internet business.3.Getting a loan so that you can finance a house enterprise set up is hardly ever a wise idea.
    Wholesale Jerseys Cheap

  31. High density lipoproteins (HDLs) are good cholesterol since they carry unneeded cholesterol away from the cells and back to the liver where it is broken down and removed from the body.The best time to get started your new home business venture is when you still need a job. I’m playing for the Atlanta Braves, and I enjoy it. This is core shame €?the false belief that there is essentially something wrong with you. Medical assistant duties are one of the medical center work which are very essential and effective for improving the effectiveness of the health and wellness enterprise.
    Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale

  32. seo leeds says:

    Make a Pay Per Click account.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site … seo leeds

  33. You can be paid either hourly or by a fixed price method. You can also schedule time for getting ready for bed or school.I CAN HAVE CONTROL OVER HOW OTHERS FEEL ABOUT ME AND TREAT MEIf you believe you can control others feelings and behavior, you will become addicted to various ways of trying to control, such as anger, judgment, blame, or people pleasing. Select a manufacturer that will assist your buyer understand and recall your product or service.In no way enter an agreement with anyone with out first drawing up a legal contract.

  34. info tanah says:

    My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at net, except I know I am getting
    know-how daily by reading thes fastidious content.

  35. Excellent site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find excellent writing
    like yours these days. I really appreciate individuals like you!
    Take care!!

  36. The scenario is actually same for the software for seo ranking. Agreements guard both parties should some thing go awry. Become that as it can some seo programming addresses certain services in line with the person’s requirement. Check with your physician regarding your medications. Diets rich in natural raw foods help to maintain the bodys balance and maintain normal levels.

  37. Anyone who has chronic illness has decreased ability to make EPA and DHA which is found in this source. Individuals ought to in the individuals who can give them the confirmation of their income. . However, this kid is good and will be productive. Most of their behavior is nothing intentional toward you or anyone else.

  38. Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specifically the last part 🙂 I care for such info
    a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long time.
    Thank you and good luck.

  39. Jaimie says:

    Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

    I’m getting sick and tired of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another platform.
    I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

  40. Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage to take
    latest updates, thus where can i do it please assist.

  41. smokers says:

    The Clove Cigarette at this time offfers on the web for $9.49 with free shipping.

    Also isit my web site :: smokers

  42. Acting as a liaison with external institutions and services that will make implementation of positive services and plans. Once you have a system in place, you can do a lot of marketing in one day. OTHERS ARE MY SOURCE OF LOVEYou will become addicted to attention, approval, love, sex, or connection when you believe that another person needs to be your dependable source of love. Do NOT hang your current season on a rookie QB.”Educational Handout About High CholesterolEDUCATIONAL HANDOUT ABOUT HIGH CHOLESTEROL Written by Ronnie Allen Cholesterol levels are influenced by diet and genetic makeup.
    Cheap NFL Jerseys

  43. Według przekazów historycznych, tarot cieszył się
    wielkim uznaniem na terenie Włoch, Francji i Hiszpanii.

  44. Jahvid Best (Detroit): If Kevin Smith can be productive in Detroit, Best certainly can. More than 8% of our daily calories should not be from hydrogenated or saturated fat. “That’s a personal issue.A number of teams were weary of losing a first round draft pick that would come with signing the right hander. These should be consumed at 10 15% of the total caloric intake for the day.

  45. Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this site on a
    regular basis, this website is really good and the people are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.

  46. Talk to folks what kind of video game that is
    actually and plenty of will answer this’s a stealth video game!” That’s informing.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage: click here [http://www.slideserve.com/]

  47. designin says:

    Saved as a favorite, I really like your website!

    Here is my blog designin

  48. The downtown shopping section is reflective of 50’s-style architecture,
    lending it a sentimental classic California flair.

    Feel free to visit my site :: restaurants oceanside ca

  49. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day.
    It will always be exciting to read content from other authors and practice something from their websites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *