BootsnAll Travel Network



April 2-4: Kolkatta (India)

indiaphoto_edited-2.jpg

 Sorry, but finally back on the web due to travel and lack of internet avalability.  We have reduced our India trip to only a couple of weeks and are staying only in the north. April is not a good time to travel India due to the heat.  The travel route:  Kolkatta, Veranasi, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur – fly to Darjeeling to see the Himalayas – back to Kolkatta to fly to Singapore. 

Leaving for India:

On boarding the plane and finding our seats, most of the other travelers were Indian.  You immediately knew you were entering a different culture and mindset.  The loudness of the conversation (some yelling to their friends 10 rows up), the pushing to get a seat (even though everyone has an assigned seat), trying to cram bags into the overhead bin even though it was full,  the sweaty smell of bodies  immediately brought back memories of what it is like to live and travel in India.  I told Natalie to take a deep breath, for here comes India!   For myself, since I know the language and culture, I knew I would be the primary one “carrying” the whole family around India.  In all the other travels, Natalie or I or the kids could share the duties.  However, to get around and converse with people, I would probably be the one doing the lion’s share.  I looked forward to it, but at the same time knew it would be wearing.  I needed to take a double deep breath.

Arrival in Kolkata

Kolkata (Calcutta) tends to be known for its mass of humanity and Mother Theresa’s work with the poor and dying.   However, the city used to be the capital of India under British rule.  One reason is that it is close to the sea for trade.  Later, power was transferred to Delhi, and it kind of lost its “glory”.  As we stepped out of the airport with our “pre-paid” taxi ticket, our taxi driver was under the hood of his 1970’s Ambassador (India made) taxi.  Once again, welcome to India.  I immediately started speaking Hindi without thinking about it.  Of course, we were soon surrounded by other taxi drivers wanting to see the “white foreigner” who spoke the language.  We had to immediately start arguing about the fare, despite it already being pre-paid.  As we were driving into the city, everyone’s senses were bombarded with India:  it was very hot and humid and no AC In the taxi, dirty, dusty, garbage everywhere, crowded, traffic congestion, the chaos of driving, incessant honking (worse than Vietnam), people everywhere, infrastructure no different than when I saw it 30 years ago it seems.  Natalie thought it looked like Germany after WWII. Quite overwhelming to start with.  Kolkata isn’t exactly the place to start a tour of India, nonetheless with children.  However, we came here first because it was cheaper airfare and also to “get it out of the way” first.  We ended up in a part of the city that was away from the “backpackers, touristy” location, and stayed in a local hotel.  In other words, we saw firsthand the street life in a little different perspective.  The kids handled that first outing, but were very glad to get back in the comfort of the hotel room.   Josh summed up the first 2 days in India like this: “I don’t know if I want to cry, laugh, scream, or hit somebody!”  That statement seems to be very true to one’s experience.  However, after you get into the rhythm of a city, and how it works, and begin to see what’s “normal” – in other words, its “life”, your perspective and outlook changes a bit and you don’t feel quite so disoriented and overwhelmed.  This was more true and took longer in India than anywhere else we’ve been. The kids will write about their feelings later.  Having gone through it as a kid myself, I knew what they were going through.  The crowds, noise, congestion, and loudness of the city really got to them.  As a parent, you just have to provide for a safe, cool (AC) place to retreat to after the traditional sightseeing.  They mentioned that it would not be so bad if it just wasn’t SO hot.  Our sightseeing day included the Indian Museum (very old), the Victoria Memorial, light show of history of Calcutta, and going to Mother Teresa’s place.

Taxi’s are old Indian made Ambassadors

arrival-1.jpg

No AC – kids wiped out from early morning flight and heat of day.

arrival-2.jpg

Night water light show – kind of like you would see at the Ballagio in Vegas  (smaller scale)- It was in the city park the equivalent to the park in New York

night-1.jpg

Sound and light show at the Victorial Memorial – they way it is like the white house and Taj Mahal put together?

night-2.jpgvm-1.jpg

The Queen herself – unfortunate for bird doo on the head

vm-2.jpg

Incredible bronze sculpture

vm-3.jpg

Mother Theresa’s House – a service was going on, her tomb is in the “sanctuary”, a great exhibit of her history and years of service, saw her room where the Pope met here.  A great idea to go see where she worked and the work continues.

mt-11.jpgmt-21.jpg

Bazar – street scenes – too much seen to have taken pictures – felt very conspicious

sayings-1.jpg

Day workers who my not have a home – washing in local water area

street-1.jpg

Communit slogans – elections are going on

street-2.jpgstreet-3.jpgstreet-4.jpgstreet-5.jpgstreet-6.jpg

The busiest train station in the world – Kolkatta – we survived it

train1.jpg

Waiting for train – going to Veranasi (14 hour train ride overnight with sleeper berths)

leaving-klc.jpg



Tags:

66,790 responses to “April 2-4: Kolkatta (India)”

  1. Novbrk says:

    order generic micronase 5mg – purchase glipizide generic forxiga order

  2. sSdfffobusems says:

    Привет, дорогой читатель!

    Были ли у вас случаи, когда приходилось писать дипломную работу в крайне ограниченные сроки? Это действительно требует большой ответственности и трудоемкости, но важно не отступать и продолжать активно участвовать в учебном процессе, как я.
    Для тех, кто умеет эффективно находить и использовать информацию в сети, это действительно помогает в процессе согласования и написания дипломной работы. Больше не нужно тратить время на посещение библиотек или организацию встреч с научным руководителем. Здесь, на этом ресурсе, предоставлены надежные данные для заказа и написания дипломных и курсовых работ с гарантией качества и доставкой по всей России. Можете ознакомиться с предложениями тут , это проверенный источник!
    http://abroad.ekafe.ru/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1749
    купить диплом цена
    где купить диплом
    купить диплом бакалавра
    купить диплом нового образца
    купить диплом Гознак

    Желаю любому прекрасных оценок!

  3. Jessebaf says:

    http://casinvietnam.shop/# game c? b?c online uy tin

  4. sSdfffobusems says:

    Доброго всем дня!

    Было ли у вас когда-нибудь так, что приходилось писать дипломную работу в очень сжатые сроки? Это действительно требует огромной ответственности и может быть очень тяжело, но важно не опускать руки и продолжать активно заниматься учебными процессами, как я.
    Для тех, кто умеет быстро находить и использовать информацию в интернете, это действительно облегчает процесс согласования и написания дипломной работы. Больше не нужно тратить время на посещение библиотек или устраивать встречи с научным руководителем. Здесь, на этом ресурсе, предоставлены надежные данные для заказа и написания дипломных и курсовых работ с гарантией качества и доставкой по всей России. Можете ознакомиться с предложениями на сайте , это проверено!
    http://drugisaitove.listbb.ru/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=487
    купить диплом ссср
    купить диплом в Москве
    купить диплом специалиста
    купить аттестат школы
    купить диплом цена

    Желаю любому пятерошных) отметок!

  5. Jessebaf says:

    https://casinvietnam.shop/# game c? b?c online uy tin

  6. ChrisPet says:

    danh bai tr?c tuy?n web c? b?c online uy tin casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam

  7. Jameszex says:

    https://casinvietnam.shop/# casino tr?c tuy?n uy tin

  8. sSdfffobusems says:

    Привет всем!

    Было ли у вас когда-нибудь такое, что приходилось писать дипломную работу в сжатые сроки? Это действительно требует огромной ответственности и напряженных усилий, но важно не сдаваться и продолжать активно заниматься учебными процессами, чем я и занимаюсь.
    Для тех, кто умеет искать и анализировать информацию в интернете, это действительно помогает в процессе согласования и написания дипломной работы. Не нужно тратить время на посещение библиотек или организацию встреч с дипломным руководителем. Здесь представлены надежные данные для заказа и написания дипломных и курсовых работ с гарантией качества и доставкой по России. Можете ознакомиться с предложениями по ссылке , проверено!
    http://cattycats.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=478#p1569
    купить диплом нового образца
    купить диплом университета
    купить диплом магистра
    купить аттестат
    где купить диплом

    Желаю любому пятерошных) отметок!

  9. Hebub says:

    отмечу как доверительного союзника в SEO-развитии.

  10. man-attestats24.com – Купить аттестат за 9 класс – путь для вашему будущему. На данном портале все вы сможете без труда и быстро купить аттестат, нужный для последующего получения образования или профессионального роста. Наша специалисты обеспечивают высокое качество и конфиденциальность предоставления услуг. Заказывайте школьный сертификат у нас и проявите новые перспективы для своего карьерного развития и трудоустройства.

  11. Mrjxsw says:

    buy generic glyburide for sale – purchase glipizide pill buy forxiga pills for sale

  12. Tferkh says:

    buy micronase online – micronase price dapagliflozin over the counter

  13. MichaelGof says:

    casino tr?c tuy?n uy tin choi casino tr?c tuy?n tren di?n tho?i web c? b?c online uy tin

  14. sSdfffobusems says:

    Привет, дорогой читатель!

    Бывало ли у вас такое, что приходилось писать дипломную работу в очень ограниченные сроки? Это действительно требует большой ответственности и тяжелого труда, но важно не сдаваться и продолжать активно заниматься учебными процессами, так же, как и я.
    Для тех, кто умеет эффективно использовать интернет для поиска и анализа информации, это действительно облегчает процесс согласования и написания дипломной работы. Не нужно тратить время на посещение библиотек или организацию встреч с дипломным руководителем. Здесь представлены надежные данные для заказа и написания дипломных и курсовых работ с гарантией качества и доставкой по всей России. Можете ознакомиться с предложениями по ссылке , это проверенный способ!
    http://lorail252bow.bestbb.ru/post.php?fid=1
    купить диплом магистра
    купить диплом цена
    купить диплом колледжа
    купить диплом ссср
    купить диплом нового образца

    Желаю всем прекрасных оценок!

  15. Ckficw says:

    purchase metformin pill – glycomet 500mg over the counter acarbose tablet

  16. Egqoeg says:

    buy generic prandin over the counter – jardiance 10mg cheap buy jardiance generic

  17. ChrisPet says:

    danh bai tr?c tuy?n casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam danh bai tr?c tuy?n

  18. ChrisPet says:

    choi casino tr?c tuy?n tren di?n tho?i casino tr?c tuy?n uy tin casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam

  19. Jameszex says:

    https://casinvietnam.shop/# casino tr?c tuy?n vi?t nam

  20. Shanecer says:

    Right here is the right website for anyone who hopes to understand this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a topic which has been written about for decades. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!
    #be#jk3#jk#jk#JK##

    временный номер США

  21. Devinnog says:

    https://arusak-attestats.ru/ – Купить аттестат за 11 класс – возможность к вашему будущему. На данном портале вы сможете без труда и оперативно купить аттестат, нужный для последующего получения образования или профессионального роста. Наши специалисты обеспечивают высокое качество и секретность услуги. Приобретайте образовательный аттестат в нашем сервисе и откройте другие варианты для своего образования и трудоустройства.

  22. Fobertenale says:

    Доброго всем дня!
    купить диплом института

    Желаю всем прекрасных отметок!
    http://mail.webco.by/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=27596&p=196672

    купить диплом специалиста
    купить диплом бакалавра
    купить диплом колледжа

  23. ChrisPet says:

    casino online uy tin casino tr?c tuy?n uy tin casino tr?c tuy?n

  24. Stevenpruby says:

    top 10 pharmacies in india: top 10 pharmacies in india – pharmacy website india

  25. RickyPooto says:

    п»їbest mexican online pharmacies cheapest mexico drugs purple pharmacy mexico price list

  26. Michaelboowl says:

    https://mexicoph24.life/# п»їbest mexican online pharmacies

  27. Ismaelgycle says:

    This information is invaluable. When can I find out more?
    #be#jk3#jk#jk#JK##

    купить турецкий номер для смс

  28. RickyPooto says:

    online pharmacy india Generic Medicine India to USA indianpharmacy com

  29. Larrynouck says:

    PBN sites
    We shall establish a network of self-owned blog network sites!

    Benefits of our self-owned blog network:

    We perform everything SO THAT google doesn’t understand that THIS IS A PBN network!!!

    1- We purchase domain names from separate registrars

    2- The leading site is hosted on a VPS hosting (Virtual Private Server is rapid hosting)

    3- Other sites are on distinct hostings

    4- We designate a unique Google ID to each site with verification in Search Console.

    5- We create websites on WP, we don’t use plugins with aided by which Trojans penetrate and through which pages on your websites are created.

    6- We refrain from repeat templates and utilise only unique text and pictures

    We never work with website design; the client, if wanted, can then edit the websites to suit his wishes

  30. RickyPooto says:

    buying prescription drugs in mexico mexican pharmacy mexican pharmacy

  31. Michaelboowl says:

    http://mexicoph24.life/# pharmacies in mexico that ship to usa

  32. Eatvhc says:

    buy prandin 1mg – order empagliflozin 10mg online jardiance tablet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *