BootsnAll Travel Network



Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi

masoleaum.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum – huge open space in front of the mausoleum – very tight regulations – line up in 2 lines, no talking, hats off, no shorts, need sleeve shirt, move slowly, guards every corner – only open for a couple of hours a day, huge lines (we got there right at closing), you shuffle through a darkly lit halway into the viewing chamber (no cameras allowd) and lo and behold – there lies the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh – quite surreal experience.  They usually take him out once a year to Russia to get re-embalmed. 

Hanoi, Vietnam   The Paradox:  liberal capitalism with socialistic politics

We arrived here a little breathless and unplanned after our all night bus ride and visa issues in Thailand. So when we took a taxi from the airport into downtown Hanoi, we had no idea where we were going or where we were staying, other than that we wanted to be in the Old Quarter. Upon arriving in the Old Quarter, we could see that walking around looking for a hotel, with five of us trundling our backpacks along was going to be impossible. The streets are incredibly narrow, and FULL, (and I mean FULL, from one side of the street to other!) with motorcycles – all of them beeping their horns! I hope our pictures can show this, although pictures can never capture the cacophony!  We decided to have the taxi drop us off at a hotel we’d read about in our guidebook. When we pulled up to the hotel, someone ran out, asked if we had a booking, and hearing we didn’t, told us they were full. But, what do you know, they had another hotel that had space! We realized later we were being had by the oldest trick in the book, but this other hotel worked out great – soft beds, warm comforters, clean …and $15US per room! We’ve seen sights in Hanoi, but my favorite sightseeing is just watching the city go by. It’s amazing it all works! The streets are literally full of cars and motorbikes all day long. Shops spill out onto the “sidewalk” and shopkeepers and their friends or family (?) sit out on the sidewalk on these little plastic stools that would fit about ONE of my buns (no comments please!) At night, there are wide swatches of sidewalk set aside as “bia hoi” stalls, where men mostly sit and drink warm beer in ice-filled glasses, all perched on these little plastic stools.

It feels strange to think that technically we’re in a “Communist” or at least socialist country. Capitalism is alive and well here, as evidenced by all the stuff that’s offered for sale! But there are still a fair number of billboards with a hammer and sickle, and the Vietnamese star. Ho Chi Minh is still revered and referred to as “Uncle Ho.” We went to see his mausoleum, which could almost be called a “pilgrimage” to Vietnamese, at least here in the north. It was quite an experience in Social Studies!…

We also went to see Hoa Lo Prison, which is where John McCain was held and was known as the “Hanoi Hilton” during the war. The Vietnam War war here is called the “American War,” which makes sense if you think about it. Not much of the prison is left standing. It’s been razed to build a skyscraper called the Hanoi Towers. However, they did preserve the main gate and a section of cell blocks which has been made into a museum. There really wasn’t a lot about the American prisoners here. Most of the museum was about the Vietnamese who were incarcerated here during the French colonization of Vietnam. The prison was originally built by the French to incarcerate hundreds of Vietnamese revolutionaries who were fighting for freedom from the French. There was only one room dedicated to the American soldiers who were held here during the war, and it definitely had a certain slant to it, as it was depicted as a really quite pleasant place to be!

Governors residence of IndoChina

pp-21.jpg

Ho Chi Minh REsidence – he like the simplicity of life – not in the big mansion above – Frank Loyd Wright would have liked the wood work

hcm-living.jpg

French leftover – church – not kept up very well, but there is a thriving Catholic Community here

church.jpg

Temple of Literature:  This was basically a university for the study of philosphy, law, and literature dating back to 1070. They studied Confucious  teachings for feudal society in the orderly flow and ethical behavior of gentlemen – with respect to education self, organizing family, governing state, and ruling all nations.   And he wrote this back in 50 BC. A fabulous place to think of all the “learning going on”.

lit-3.jpglit-7.jpglit-21.jpg

These are called stelea – basically like a PH Diploma – it has there name, what they studied, etc on it once they passed their exams and the final exam given by the king. There were 13 thousand students that passed.  The turtle is an important symbol with the Vietnamese people.

lit-1.jpg

The Phoenix is also an important symbol and is represented in the temples.

lit-5.jpglit-4.jpg

Museum of Enthology – explains all the different people groups, language, culture, dress, occupations – outside they had these huge models set up that showed how they lived.  This was the meeting hall.

museum.jpg

HaLo Prison – aka – “Hanoi Hilton” as named by the US prisoners of war – the prison camp that the US airmen were housed in – including Senator John McCain.  This prison was built by the French and where they kept Vietnamese prisoners that were fighting against the French.  Most of the prison exhibits described the fight for Vietnamese independence from the French and the atrocities that they committed.  My camera gave out so we did not get many pictures including the guillitine.  What you see is only a portion of the prison that was saved for historical purposes, but the other half there now sits a hotel – ironically named Hanoi HIlton Towers.  Vietnam has a long history trying to get their independance – from the Chinese and the French – Ho Chi Minh was first trying to unify Vietnam by getting rid of the French – he actually wrote to 2 US presidents for help but got no reply – had communistic leanings – when independance was  declared he was the ruling party in the north, but there was a catholic president in the south who did not want to become communist – there lies the fighting and US involvement.  Vietnam has always in their history had a north – south type of split.

prison-61.jpgprison-7.jpgprison-1.jpgprison-2.jpgprison-1a.jpgprison-1b.jpgprison-3.jpgprison-4.jpg

Didn’t mean for this to come right after the prison pictures – Just Sayings –

bathroom-2.jpg

This sign is showing those individuals that have not used a “western” toilet how to do it.  The kids are liking Vietnam because they have western toilets (not squat pots or sometimes referred to as starting blocks), and they all have toilet paper rather than the perverbial hose with water.

bathroom.jpg

Sights of Hanoi in the old quarter – each street is named for the wares that are being sold on that street – totaly a crazy place with no traffic rules – we finally got the hang of how to cross a street -don’t stop, they will go around you – bicylces, cars, motorbikes – 2.5 million motorbikes in Hanoi with only a population of 4 million – following pictures are just street life – the most fascinating aspect of Hanoi (capital of Vietnam)

sights-9g.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-1.jpgsights-9f.jpgsights-3.jpgsights-5.jpgsights-6.jpgsights-7.jpgsights-8.jpgsights-9.jpgsights-9a.jpgsights-9b.jpgsights-9c.jpg

The favorite pasttime – sitting around on little stools eating, but mostly drinking cheap beer in plactic glasses with ice. –

sights-9e.jpg 



Tags:

26,038 responses to “Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi”

  1. poker says:

    hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainly
    picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this site, as I
    experienced to reload the web site lots of times previous to I could get it
    to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting
    is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances
    times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

    Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for much more of
    your respective fascinating content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

  2. byovdigint says:

    Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    abyovdigint
    byovdigint http://www.ghdqe9z8932d1nckm4ji12o0d692783us.org/
    [url=http://www.ghdqe9z8932d1nckm4ji12o0d692783us.org/]ubyovdigint[/url]

  3. Rootkits are significantly far more damaging than other styles of virus bacterial infections basically simply because they can quickly disguise All those destructive data files producing them more difficult towards come across by means of either antivirus computer software packages and by means of the client person. Primarily every time at any time yourself reply back again with the search term oneself will be using thing material upon any products or products and services or even about any advertising discounts accessible for the duration of that period. You need to make sure all your ducks are in a row when launching a website that is going to sell a product line or services. So what exactly is content marketing specifically, and how can you use it to generate the final results you will be in search of? Think about it as a method to attract the people or target market you might be attempting to reach together with your message inside a way they find appealing. Prospective buyers who are equipped towards generate all 6 or 10 stamps could buy an absolutely free espresso or a costfree therapeutic massage.

  4. “A causa di questo si può mangiare si muore!” Wolf appena finito, si alzò di scatto dal letto, e divorato Cappuccetto Rosso,

  5. Stella Rossa era molto sorpreso, e ha chiesto: “?! Come non si apre”

  6. Rather than “Get Good Eats at Joe’s” – the idea is always to say, “This is Joe.The Southeast Asia will be the proper region for you personally, in situation you do not need to invest significantly, but you would like to possess some fun. If all of a sudden your SEO and web design company begins making record profits, resist the urge to do more spending or expansion. A worm does not require in the direction of connect by itself in the direction of yet another software within just get toward copy by itself. Basically, getting the Best convertible ultrabook means that you are getting a touchscreen laptop.

  7. The ability of a ladder to sustain the loads indicated in this paragraph shall be determined by applying or transmitting the requisite load to the ladder in a downward vertical direction.
    Mens Work Boots

  8. Work Shoes says:

    Electric equipment shall be free from recognized hazards that are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to employees.
    Work Shoes

  9. Howdy excellent blog! Does running a blog like this require a massive amount work?
    I have virtually no understanding of computer programming
    but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, should you have any suggestions or
    tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject nevertheless
    I simply had to ask. Kudos!

    my website nature sounds

  10. “A causa di questo si può mangiare si muore!” Wolf appena finito, si alzò di scatto dal letto, e divorato Cappuccetto Rosso,

  11. non può volare, appena colpito l’aereo, aereo, ha detto: “Te lo dico stelle verdi!”

  12. The revelation guus hiddink said willing to coach the team’s Sven-goran eriksson in May?
    stephen curry shoes

  13. curry 3 says:

    Officer xuan!Chen tao and sichuan team contract before the season continues to battle at the foot of b
    curry 3

  14. Boss casualmente rannicchiato in una casa di paglia. “Ah ah, ho la mia casa!” Boss felice romp.

  15. Start by gathering up a few boxes and looking throughout the home and the garage for items that can go.An experienced service provider needs to have the necessary technological knowledge so as to function appropriately. You can probably find a number of classes or workshops in your neighborhood, so be sure to attend as many as you can. A specialist in document scanning services is able to assist you save space at home and the office.You now find out more about Forex currency trading education and learning courses, it is time for it to find some Foreign exchange schooling tutorials. Since you more than likely realized originally, Forex trading represents currency exchange or synchronous trade of some foreign currency to a different set of two fx. Capital Results will locate the investors and will also negotiate on Carol’s behalf to maximize her opportunity in the deal.Apart from this economical shoes are almost always created of inadequate top quality rubber soles in buy to reduce production prices. Taking care of your roof will make it last.Apart from this economical shoes are almost always created of inadequate top quality rubber soles in buy to reduce production prices. Start by gathering up a few boxes and looking throughout the home and the garage for items that can go. On account of the high degree of contest, individuals are interested in practical rates in that field.

  16. She will guide you the instructions how to obtain FBLeadChef Bonus. Carol and her new partners have extensively modeled the projected future performance. Therefore, once a selected time period of usage, these rubber soles have a tendency to get hardened and harm the feet of the little one when they run or play.docufree. Their precision in budgeting is usually as a result of the many years that they have worked in this field.S. By understanding the mother nature of stock trading foreign currency echange within the appropriate time, that you are clear on increasing income, while will not expect to have so that it is the size of the benefits won by professional and knowledgeable Fx professionals.“I don’t want to disrespect anyone, but when the best players aren’t available it’s harder to win.A skilled individual needs the imperative familiarity to reach the predicted consequences promptly. You like the idea of being captain of your own ship and also want to create wealth for yourself and your family. Whilst the ordinary conveniences are accessible at a sensible cost, several potential customers are prepared to pay more exorbitant costs to receive the services that go well with their private life styles. He’s gonna get 200 more hits then? At 42? Let metell you, I’ve been there, the body locks up.

  17. I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out
    a developer to create your theme? Exceptional work!

  18. Carol’s 2.Hire The Right Concrete Contractors Dallas TXHire The Right Concrete Contractors Dallas TXMarch 26, 2014 | Author: Jaclyn Hurley | Posted in MarketingIf you need to repair your driveway and your garage floor or you need to redo the floor of your house, you do not need to worry.6 MM. Until (Friday) night, I think he was hitting in the . If you only have a table full of items, chances are, people will walk right past and never even look over the items. In case you do not want to involve them directly on the project then you can have them carry out the reviews for you if you are not very familiar with this field.These medicines belongs to the group of drug called phosphodiesterase inhibitor and are designed to widen arteries in the penis, bringing more blood into the obdurate organ to promote firm erections in response to sexual stimulation.Tyrone is an expert on Walking Shoes For Women and Beautifeel ShoesSunlight Tzu Art Of Struggle In Forex Trading – How To Become A Money-making Forex InvestorQuite a few People and plenty of other various nationalities have become interesting and would like to see how to get appropriate Fx trading knowledge. The division which she operates generates revenues of $230 million and contributes $30 million to the pre-tax profits of the corporation. The supplying agents advise clients to use other materials or use ballast. I am not better than any of my team-mates.Teheran Gets First Major League Win – RealGM WiretapBraves starting pitcher Julio Teheran, who settled down after a shaky start, earned his first Major League victory on Thursday against the Mets.

  19. The Substitute Server Restoration program supports info restoration against Substitute Server 2007, 2003, 2000, and 5. Additionally, these kinds of gadgets will always be updated. Build trust, supply value and it’s a done deal.Holliday has made only one appearance in the playoffs because of an inflamed tendon on his right middle finger, striking out as a pinch hitter to end Game 1. When it comes to email marketing, there are many things you have available to you that can help build your business as well as your communication with customers.

  20. “Nonna, come la mano di un grande modo così?”

  21. Great Wolf con rabbia in un cerchio intorno alla casa, e, infine, è salito sul tetto, camino scivolato vuole andare. La terza finestra dalla scoperta,

  22. Jillian says:

    Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced mee to take a look at
    and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me.
    Thank you, quite nice post.

    Look into my website; forex automated trading
    software reviews (Jillian)

  23. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you really know what you
    are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my
    website =). We can have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us!

  24. Sherri says:

    We are a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with useful information to work on. You’ve done a formidable activity and our whole group will likely be thankful to you. http://alfredobrien12.unblog.fr/2016/12/28/truck-contests-available-online/

  25. Though hard work requires dedication, it will pay off in the end in the form of success.As stated in the starting, there is quite a bit of facts in regards to buying real estate. For more information read more. This program is Quite provided as a result of unique provider products and services out there. A few of the web sites will give you a free of charge facility to download videos while others are compensated types which means you need to pay expenses according to the height and width of the film.

  26. The principal difference betweeen web optimization and SEM is the amount of selling that goes into SEM.

    Stop by my website … internet marketing college fam (daframe.dongbucni.co.kr)

  27. 1、 事实上。第一台中国技术中心开发的新产品上市。2010年至2011年,国内厂商的供应链劣势进一步凸显出来。负荷,有分析人士认为, 原文链接:>原来,7个百分点,燃气、自来水、电力、供暖公司各自抄自己的气表、水表、电表、热力表,明确指出完善煤、电、油、气领域信息资源共享机制。

  28. Barry maglie says:

    Nuvole che navigano a vedere una stella rossa, correvano in fretta verso le nuvole, Oh! Stella Rossa ha fretta, cadere, caduta a salire.

  29. Reliable Systems In Antivirus Software Systems MethodThe Fundamentals 2017Article From Article Directory DatabaseRoyals Claim Moises Sierra Off Waivers From White SoxRealGM WiretapThe Royals announced that they have claimed outfielder Moises Sierra off Outright Waivers from the White Sox. Author Resource:McAfee coupon code 2014 allows you preserve a whole lot of bucks on McAfee. This can be especially important for winter season several months. The thing would be to offer value no matter the format employed. The coupon offers you approximately 10% price cut upon practically each item you get at redmart.
    Wholesale NFL Jerseys

  30. Hello there! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent info you have got here on this post.

    I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

  31. Link exchange is nothing else except it is just placing the other person’s website link on your
    page at appropriate place and other person will also do similar for you.

  32. 5 figure day says:

    I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles
    or weblog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site.
    Studying this information So i’m happy too convey thqt I’ve an increibly excellent uncanny feeling I foud out just what I needed.
    I so much without a doubt will make certawin to do not omit this web site and provides it a glance on a
    continuing basis.

    Here is mmy website: 5 figure day

  33. 2、 从而面临一定的法律风险,目前所有学校已经停止桶装水供应。已把高丽参的外形特征和生长环境交代得很清楚了。 “荣程集团号召集团8000余名员工, 此外,将做好资金储备。徐州盾安重工机械制造有限公司收到国家知识产权局通知,正式取得发明专利授权, 以及从事在线分析系统设计、制造、运行的专业技术人员参考使用。 7%。

  34. Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  35. Sammy says:

    Wow, superb weblog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for?
    you made running a blog look easy. The full glance of your site is wonderful,
    as well as the content!

  36. djarum says:

    Keep in mind that smoking enjoymet will be different
    per person, but relating to myy hubby, the claim had been real.

    Here is my web page; djarum

  37. For example, when Apple first introduced the iPod, a cornucopia of iPod casemaking businesses popped up. You will be given 30% price cut about every merchandise you buy on the webpage. Taking the time to plan ahead and keep yourselves ahead of the competition can keep you successful. Hendriks, 25, came to the Royals along with catcher Erik Kratz in the July 29 trade that sent third baseman Danny Valencia to Toronto. Make responding promptly to emails your top priority.

  38. Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  39. Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  40. coffee tips says:

    I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of space .
    Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this website.

    Studying this information So i’m glad to exhibit that I’ve a very just right
    uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I so much indubitably will make sure to do not omit this site and give it a look
    on a constant basis.

  41. I was recommended this website via my cousin. I am no longer sure whether or not
    this put up is written by means of him as no one else recognize
    such distinctive approximately my problem. You are wonderful!
    Thank you!

  42. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site.
    You have some really good posts and I think I would
    be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d
    really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back
    to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Manny thanks!

    Herre is my page :: Seo Social Experts

  43. Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation;
    we have developed some nice methods and we are looking to swap strategies with
    other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

  44. Anything you do to avoid taking responsibility for managing your pain is self abandonment, which creates even more pain the deep pain of aloneness.”I’m not retired,” Thome said. I would love to have him on my team if I had an NFL franchise. Once you have a system in place, you can do a lot of marketing in one day. High density lipoproteins (HDLs) are good cholesterol since they carry unneeded cholesterol away from the cells and back to the liver where it is broken down and removed from the body.
    Cheap Jerseys China Online

  45. Amos says:

    Hi, its pleasant paragraph on the topic of media print, we all be aware
    of media is a great source of information.

  46. He is not an every down back, but will get 8 10 carries a game, catch some passes and return kicks. Maximum Fantasy Sports has put its collective heads together and has ranked the Top 5 fantasy football relevant rookies at the core skill positions and their projected draft round in standard 12 team fantasy football leagues.”You can get a various number of SEO software tools and can also select among from them the suitable oneFluet Nasuti    Submitted 2014 03 21 09:08:35 Settling on the correct software can be a difficult task when there are a number of these in the market. And then, he had offers above what we would have considered, so we never made a proposal.I CAN HAVE CONTROL OVER HOW OTHERS FEEL ABOUT ME AND TREAT MEIf you believe you can control others feelings and behavior, you will become addicted to various ways of trying to control, such as anger, judgment, blame, or people pleasing.

  47. Under that, you can access any of Bet365’s other products
    like Casino and Poker.

  48. Most loose diamonds – especially larger stones – contain some internal flaws,
    but, pretty seldom do these inclusions have an effect on a diamond’s appearance to the naked eye.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *