BootsnAll Travel Network



April 21-22: Leaving India-Arriving Singapore

train-1.jpg

Leaving India:  We left Darjeeling, taking a jeep down off the hill, a day long train ride to Kolkata, and then an early morning flight to Singapore.  We left Darjeeling a late and were a little afraid we wouldn’t be off the mountain by nightfall.  We took a different route down, and the road was incredibly bad – full of ruts and washouts. It was a long, bouncy ride. Because of the late hour, the driver was fast, but careful on the mountain road.  However, when going through the town at night after the mountain, almost hit a bicyclist, rickshaw, and cow. We arose at 5 the next morning to catch our train to Kolkata.  This train station was easy to navigate and we had no  trouble finding our train and car and seats.  It was a 12 hour train ride and went smoothly.  Everyone just read and slept.  The other men in our train car were incredibly loud (now the kids know why I (Tim) talk so loud – you have to, I grew up in Pakistan/India).  Josh is very greatful for ipods.  I think he may have “tuned” out India.  Every picture you see of him, he seems to be wearing his Skull Candy headphones.

Arriving in Kolkata train stations is such a zoo.  There are incredible numbers of people taking the trains and taxis at 10:00pm at night.  Where are they all going?  We tried to take pictures and movie clips, but it just does not do justice to the action and activity that you notice and experience.  For those of you that have done this, you know what I mean.  The pictures of the station, people, and car traffic just can’t do it justice.  Finally after a hot, humid, loud, chaotic taxi drive, we finally got to some “dive” hotel near the airport, only to sleep 4 hours and get up to catch our early morning flight to Singapore. 

station-1.jpgstattion-2.jpgtaxi1.jpg

Everything was going smoothly the morning of leaving despite only getting 4 hours of sleep and waking up at 4:00am.  There was hardly anyone at the airport.  We were told we had time to go ahead and get some breakfast and come back.  We did that, but then we started to worry about our flight time when we got into the Customs line; a long line, only three custom officials taking forever to look at your passport, stamp it etc.  Others on our flight were getting antsy.  I followed someone else to the front of the line whose flght was also leaving soon.  We then found out that there was more paperwork to be filled out, that no one had given us. Soon, everyone in the line was starting to grumble and yell at the customs officials.  One custom official even did a “sit down” protest – “if you are going to yell at me then I won’t help you” – reminded me of my kids at age 3.  Usually, you file through customs one at a time.  Well, my turn came up, and when in Rome do as the Romans; I grabbed the whole family and went to a customs official.  There was no way we were doing this individually and lose someone in the last minutes of India.  When he came to my passport, all of a sudden he put my passport to the side, picked up his cell phone and made a call.  Oh great!  What does this mean?  Finally, he issued our passports and we high tailed it out of there.  We were close to the last ones on the flight.  So much for planning and getting there two hours early, only to be given the wrong information and sweating it out at the end.  When we sat down on the plane, you could feel the sense of relief from the family.  Our last look out the window at India.

plane-1.jpg

Arriving in Singapore:   Kolkata (15 million people in one city) to Singapore Airport.  Talk about a state of opposites:  black to white, night to day, chaos to peace, pandemonium to serenity, unstructured to structured, dirty to pristine cleanliness.  We did India.  We made it.  We survived it.  Nobody got sick.  No items were stolen.  We remember it for its good and bad. 

The kids have asked the question, why India? Well, it’s because I (Tim) grew up in Pakistan and wanted to have them see the Indian subcontinent and get a taste of what I felt, saw, heard, and experienced growing up.  I knew they may not like it, but maybe, years down the road as they get older, something “good” would be remembered or experienced.  They also would see a different culture, religion, people group, life style, and travel as compared to the other Asian countries we had been to.  We were not able to go to Pakistan due to the terrorism/Taliban/safety issues.   India, rather than Pakistan is also a lot easier (at least for women) due to it being primarily Hindu and not Muslim. 

The kids were asked to write a paragraph on different aspects of India.  Natalie and I both knew India would be the hardest part of the trip, but the heat in April, I think, made it worse for the kids; Nov-Feb is the best time to travel India.  Anyways, you can see the categories they were to write on.  By their responses you can see it was not the best experience.  Maybe one day they may appreciate the experience more.  Here it is “untouched” (well maybe a little) by parental hand.  

(1)    First Impressions:

a.       Josh:  My first impression was its not “that” hot here.  Well, that was a load of crap.  India is hotter than any other place we’ve been (April not a good time for India).  Within the first day I saw hell, heard bad music, and felt hot.  Yet, I still thought, I’ll give India one more chance.  I would not say that now of course. 

b.      Natasha :  The first day in India was not very fun.  When we arrived I didn’t think it was much.  The airport was basically empty.  Then we got into a taxi and drove to a hotel.  While in the taxi all I heard was honking!  The hotel was much quieter.  We had to find an ATM machine and that was when everything went wrong.  We walked out to the street (which was crowded) and went to a place called New Market. I felt like I was about to cry.  It was noisy, crowded, hot, and dirty.  Bottom line; first day horrible. 

c.       Annika – I saw tons of cars, people, sewers, tuk tuks, smoke and other things.  What I felt was people pinching my cheek, hear honking of cars,   and other things.

(2)    Travel:

a.       Josh: Whether it was a taxi, a train, or a tuk tuk it was one hell (excuse the language) of a …….. emphasis on hell.  Well, maybe not so bad, but not comfortable at all.  The trains were deary, the taxi’s were hot, and riding a tuk tuk was like riding a roller coaster with dust constantly flying in your face.  Don’t let me forget the jeep rides in Darjeeling – man, talk about bumpy.  As dad says, it was like “off-roading”  but still on a black top road.

b.      Natasha:  Traveling was okay.  The trains were really smooth but it was open cars (unlike Vietnam where you had your own “compartment”) so you heard everyone else too (Indian people are very LOUD).  The taxi’s were really hot because they were old and did not have AC (unlike Thailand)so we didn’t even want to touch each other in the crammed car. The roads were not very good either.  I didn’t like traveling too much.

c.       Annika: Traveling by trains, the stations we went to made me want to scream, but it got much better when we finally got on the train.  The taxi’s were not very good because they were old and did not have AC and it was very HOT. Tuk Tuk’s  were small but at least you got wind because there were no doors or windows. 

(3)    Sights:

a.       Josh: Of course we “had” to go sightseeing and usually what we saw was really boring. The forts are always different, some or should I say one, was interesting and the others were boring.  Tombs – what’s fun about looking at a dead man’s grave?  The Ganges River is nasty, not just because I think it is, but because it’s so dirty; nothing lives in it (except bacteria and nasty critters).  Ahhh! The Himalayas.  Finally a place that is cool (temperature and other) and I am actually wearing a sweat shirt and there is a lot of tourists. PS:  I like tourists ……. In Asia.  Darjeeling still smelled and was dirty, but it wasn’t hot so I felt better.  But the part I liked the most was the trek….or maybe the people there……and the beer (some kind of Himalayan wheat beer that was good (yes, dad here, I did let him have a sip).  The people were just the other tourists who spoke fluent English and the food, once again the breakfast, was really good.  Our tour guide was a DJ.

b.      Natasha:  The Taj Mahal was really big and amazing.  It was cool inside because the marble held it in.  I didn’t like the forts as much but one fort (Jaipur) was cool.  It was cool because you could go almost in every hole and door.  I didn’t like the tombs very much either.  But they were amazingly carved.  The Ganges River was amazing also, because it was so dirty but people still washed and got cremated by it.  I really like the Himalayas because they were so cool and big.  The really stood out against the green hills.

c.       Annika:  The Taj Mahal was beautiful and big. The forts I liked and the Himalayas were totally awesome.

(4)    Food:

a.       Josh: The food was not bad, not bad at all. In fact, I think the best breakfast I had was in India. If there is one western thing India can do, it is making an omelette, or killer scrambled eggs.   But real Indian food is alright too (naan, roti, chai, curries, fruit lassie, chicken tikka) and not annoying, but I don’t want to eat any more …… or noodles, or satay, or rice, but I would like some lemongrass chicken with a little chili on top.

b.      Natasha:  The food was good but sometimes a bit spicy.  Some of the Indian food I didn’t like but most of it was good (Chai, roti, naan, curries).  I am kind of sick of curries now though.  When we ate at our driver’s house, we had the best rice ever.  My favorite was chicken tikka.

c.       Annika: The food was very spicy and I hate spicy.  Although I did like the butter roti/naan and chai (milk-sugar tea).  The western food was okay.

 (5)    Last Thoughts:

a.       Josh:  My “final thoughts” of traveling through in India for three weeks are short, simple, and to the point.  India: the air was hot, dusty, and (crappy)tasting/ feeling,  smells like  (urine), looks like trash, however, the I liked the food and the mountains of the Himalayas.

b.      Natasha: There were some things I liked about India, but there were some things I hated. Most of the sights were cool.  But traveling and trying to get around was hard.  

c.       Annika:  It was very hot and crowded making me want to scream and punch someone.   I hated it, but I liked the Himalayas. 

 

Next stop – the final piece of the saga – Here we come, Bali.  A great way to end the trip. 

   



Tags:

25,055 responses to “April 21-22: Leaving India-Arriving Singapore”

  1. Phones; Tablets & e – Readers; Navigation & GPS; Mobile Expert.

    how does netflix work

  2. What Exactly Is Internet Content Marketing Specifically?October 8, 2013Author: Joe BurkePosted in MarketingContent will be the heart beat of the internet.Protect your assets.What’s Content Marketing and may Great Copy writing Strategies be Included?Once you hear the word copy writing, most people automatically believe in advertising. Not movies nevertheless perhaps video clips and tracks could be down loaded by way of torrents. Consider a computer software that would avoid your info towards getting monitored and then transferred in the direction of an attacker’s server even whilst your Laptop or computer is contaminated.

  3. What will be the most essential consideration when you recommend some
    dental treatment and dental equipment within your patients?
    Solutions are: cost, efficacy, and safety.
    In this particular article, we introduce three main methods
    of teeth whitening and develop a comparison from cost efficacy and well
    being. The three methods include Professional teeth whitening, custom made whitening trays and whitening strips.

  4. vzrtcwxtd says:

    April 21-22: Leaving India-Arriving Singapore » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    vzrtcwxtd http://www.gjh3o3l51kp23s4q6swjj777wsd64500s.org/
    avzrtcwxtd
    [url=http://www.gjh3o3l51kp23s4q6swjj777wsd64500s.org/]uvzrtcwxtd[/url]

  5. Earnestine says:

    I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am
    not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else
    know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible!
    Thanks!

  6. “Nostra madre Dove si trova?”

  7. April 21-22: Leaving India-Arriving Singapore » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  8. 3、 6,太仓自元、明时期已是重要的海港和商埠,物价若维持2%的上涨,让工业发展上升了一个档次。对称重传感器产品的传感器误差、重复性误差、温度对最小静负荷输出的影响、产品标识共4个项目进行了检验。53亿美元, 研究人员在喀麦隆检测了33名可能感染了罗阿罗阿丝虫的患者,小组成员们主动配合、密切协作。6 )

  9. After I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I
    get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there a means you can remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

  10. Ethan says:

    Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming over
    again to read other news.

  11. One of the most popular wayus to make money along with your weblog is through advertising.

    Stop by my blog: internet marketing college chris record scam

  12. I precisely wanted to thank you so much all over again. I am not sure the things I would’ve followed without the type of concepts shared by you relating to such a situation. It absolutely was a real horrifying dilemma in my opinion, however , noticing this specialised avenue you processed the issue forced me to jump with gladness. I am just thankful for this information and even trust you are aware of an amazing job you are doing educating people today via your webpage. Most probably you’ve never met any of us.

  13. April 21-22: Leaving India-Arriving Singapore » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  14. loans says:

    Hiya! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your
    site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing
    from my apple iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that
    might be able to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions, please
    share. Thank you!

  15. I needed to send you the little word so as to say thanks yet again relating to the precious opinions you’ve discussed on this website. This is so extremely generous with you to grant publicly what exactly a few individuals would’ve supplied as an ebook to generate some money on their own, certainly considering the fact that you might have tried it in case you wanted. Those tactics as well acted like the fantastic way to realize that other individuals have a similar desire really like my own to see great deal more pertaining to this condition. I think there are numerous more pleasurable opportunities ahead for many who start reading your website.

  16. Great beat ! I wish transformers forged to fight hack 2015 apprentice
    while youu amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast proovided bright cleaar concept

  17. In the event you select; you are able to even grow your Japanese maple bonsai from seed form.If you do set a budget for your network marketing campaign, make sure that you’re ready to stick to it.Do some research and find a beautiful destination or spa within driving distance.Looking for Indiana Arrest Records? We can help you but let us recommend our choice of paid Public Criminal Record.”It’s my picture and brand name connected, so I’ve to become pleased using the finish result.

  18. The atmosphere holds the stress of the water as well as makes it manageable for the pistons of the engine hence increasing its effectiveness as well as operating life. The most effective Japanese maple bonsai to start with ought to have a trunk that is 4 inches thick. Besides, you may be able to book somewhere that will throw in a wedding ceremony for free or very little at a neighbor resort.Bruce Bochy wasn’t ready to announce a Game 4 starter ahead of the NLCS opener. It is important that you check the history of the search tool that you intend to use.

  19. These are genuinely fantastic ideas in regarding
    blogging. You have touched some fastidious points here.

    Any way keep up wrinting.

  20. He hasn’t thrown at all. When you have to shop upon zalora too, you should have access to zalora coupon that may enables you to shop you need with a very cheap price, enabling you to help make very important financial savings over the things you have bought.  It marked his third Major League season as he made his debut with Toronto in 2012, playing in 49 games. Articles, videos, blog posts and social media interaction. As by yourself glance for norton antivirus coupon very similar content material or other material pertaining in direction of panda antivirus gratis or worm, choose a minimal season toward belief the under report.
    Cheap Jerseys

  21. I know this website provides quality dependent articles or
    reviews and other information, is there anyy
    otyher website which gives these kinds of stuff in quality?

    Feel free to visit my web site aaron anastasi superior singing method

  22. codine says:

    Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.

    I had been a little bit acquainted of this
    your broadcast provided bright clear idea

  23. Alica says:

    Con un solo click, PLAY STORE te permite conectarte al
    momento a las decenas de miles y miles de aplicaciones Android que
    sean compatibles con tu Reloj Android.

  24. Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Very useful info specially the last part 🙂 I care for
    such information a lot. I was seeking this particular
    information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

  25. João Pedro says:

    Escreva mais, é tudo o que tenho a dizer. Literalmente, parece que você se baseou no vídeo para seu ponto de vista.
    Você claramente que sabem que você está falando,
    por que Jogue fora sua inteligência em apenas postar vídeos para seu weblog quando
    você poderia estar nos dando algo esclarecedor para ler?

  26. My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He was totally right. This submit truly made my day. You can not
    consider simply how so much time I had spent for this info!
    Thank you!

  27. homepage says:

    It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared
    this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

  28. Better than Shaun of the Dead or Zack Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead remake,
    Zombieland is the definitive zombie movie. Such movie download
    sites proffer you to pay a per movie download fee with a monthly payment plan.
    At this time Punjabi films are in spotlight
    among viewers as these movies have attracted the audience from non Punjabi regions as well.

  29. Nice weblog right here! Also your website quite
    a bit up very fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate link for
    your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

  30. Jere says:

    Very good blog you have here but I was wondering
    if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics
    talked about here? I’d really love to be a part of community where I
    can get responses from other experienced people that share the
    same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Appreciate it!

    Feel free to visit my website :: Jere

  31. Hi friends, its fantastic piece of writing regarding educationand completely defined,
    keep it up all the time.

  32. Hello, its good post about media print, we all be familiar
    with media is a enormous source of facts.

  33. My husband and i felt satisfied when Michael managed to complete his research through your ideas he got from your very own site. It’s not at all simplistic to simply find yourself giving freely key points which men and women could have been trying to sell. Therefore we do understand we now have you to appreciate for that. The main explanations you’ve made, the straightforward website menu, the friendships your site make it possible to engender – it’s got all terrific, and it is letting our son and us do think that content is thrilling, which is certainly quite fundamental. Thanks for the whole lot!

  34. Elena says:

    Its like you read my mind! You seem to understand so much
    approximately this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something.

    I think that you just can do with a few p.c. to power the message house a bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog.

    A great read. I will definitely be back.

  35. This is the cause of the codependency that underlies most relationship problems. It’s quite common for assistant medical jobs inside small practices to undertake several things however in huge practices they often specialize in a very few chores. It’s quite common for assistant medical jobs inside small practices to undertake several things however in huge practices they often specialize in a very few chores. It’s quite common for assistant medical jobs inside small practices to undertake several things however in huge practices they often specialize in a very few chores.Seattle has been linked to a number of veteran hitters this offseason.

  36. I want to show thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this type of circumstance. Just after surfing throughout the world wide web and finding tricks which are not productive, I figured my life was gone. Being alive without the presence of answers to the difficulties you’ve fixed all through your good posting is a serious case, as well as the ones that would have adversely damaged my career if I had not come across the blog. That competence and kindness in controlling almost everything was excellent. I am not sure what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a step like this. I am able to now look forward to my future. Thanks a lot very much for your expert and results-oriented guide. I will not hesitate to endorse your web page to anyone who needs direction about this situation.

  37. Hiya very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent ..
    Superb .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?
    I am glad to seek out a lot of helpful info right here
    in the put up, we’d like work out extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

    Look into my web page – car accident victim

  38. Don’t stop your entire day work until your company is ready to go efficiently as well as for revenue. They’re the people who keep the medical documents, help examine the patients by taking track record and setting up them intended for physical examinations and help treat them and also perform regular business office assignments so as to let the doctors consentrate on their patient doctor interaction.”Every year, many rookies come into the league and, outside of RBs, very few make much of an impact.Rangers Were Never Close To Signing Lohse RealGM WiretapKyle Lohse, who signed with the Milwaukee Brewers on March 25, was never close to joining the Texas Rangers. He fell off the map last year and raised many doubts in Houston about his long term credentials.

  39. Ensure that the brand you end up picking for your personal organization has which means.”I’m not retired,” Thome said. Your daily tasks can be scheduled so that the child can stay on track with even daily care tasks. But when the intent is to get approval or avoid painful feelings, then work is being used as an addiction. We can meditate to connect with Spirit and center ourselves, or we can meditate to bliss out and avoid responsibility for our feelings.

  40. Some of these are very doable for me, except posing nude – I’d
    most likely receives a commission for NOT
    posing nude.

    Look into my blog – make money online fast

  41. web page says:

    I used to be able to find good info from your content.

  42. seo says:

    We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with helpful info to work on. You’ve
    done a formidable activity and our entire community will likely be thankful to you.

    Review my webpage :: seo

  43. pussy says:

    Great post. I was checking continuously this blog
    and I’m impressed! Very helpful information specially the ultimate phase 🙂 I deal with such information a lot.
    I used to be looking for this particular info for a
    very lengthy time. Thank you and best of luck.

  44. I intended to draft you a little bit of remark to finally say thanks again over the wonderful ideas you have shared at this time. This has been simply seriously generous with people like you to offer openly what exactly a lot of people would have distributed as an e book to get some money for themselves, most notably considering that you might have tried it if you ever decided. Those inspiring ideas likewise worked to provide a easy way to fully grasp that most people have the identical passion just as my very own to understand lots more with respect to this condition. Certainly there are several more enjoyable instances ahead for many who looked at your blog.

  45. mt kisco says:

    Girls have constantly earned lesser than males and had many profession breaks for little one
    rearing.

  46. amazon says:

    Аn informal ⅼooҝ oг listening to thᥱ ҝind of
    wordѕ, language structure, phonemes, phonology аnd phonetical pronunciation, utterances ɑnd that mеans and vocalization of tһeir languages in thеiг current
    kind, рresents ᥙѕ ᴡith a glimpse аs tߋ thе commonality оf a language with National implications,
    theiг cultural, conventional, customary гemain tҺe identical.

    Feel free tⲟ visit my site; amazon

  47. Additionally, this solution provides the numbing
    effects of local anesthesia, often eliminating the need for general anesthesia during surgery.

    Also visit my weblog: contour light

  48. Tem na verdade um bom e útil pedaço de informação.
    Eu sou satisfeito que você compartilhado isto útil informação conosco.
    Por favor permanecer nos informado como este. Obrigado para partilha.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *