BootsnAll Travel Network



$395, 3 Shots, and One Closed Consulate Later…

Holy $#!@ shots are not cheap.

Went to the travel clinic today instead of my regular doctor because the shots are way cheaper (believe it or not!). I was planning on going back to work after but decided to come home and pass out instead. I must admit, I think it may have been the best sleep I’ve gotten in weeks, but the fact that I was operating heavy machinery across town was probably not the best of ideas. I wonder if there’s a condition called “DUV” Driving Under Vaccination?

Got one Hepatitis A/B combo (first of 3, and then get a 4th a year later in order to get the full 10 years of immunity), Yellow Fever, and Meningitis. Fortunately, she was cool about putting all the shots in the same arm this time so I can actually sleep! Also got a prescription for Doxycycline as the side effects I’ve been reading about for the Lariam which my regular doctor perscribed are just too freaky for me to rely on. One person wrote they kept dreaming that their thumbs were cut off, which I can only assume means they watched the English Patient too many times, but nonetheless, I think I’ll stick with Doxy and its rather tame side effects of reflux and nausea. Gosh, what a FUN trip this is turning into!

The travel clinic also had me watch a little video on the safety of traveling abroad. Given that this is Los Angeles, they could have used random people on the street and it would have had higher production quality then what I was shown. I think it was filmed in 1984.

Sunday the US closed its consulate in Morocco because of the recent bombings. That does not inspire confidence amonst the familial units that this trip is a good idea. Damn you Al Q!

PS: Half price backpack (plus other half-price goodies) from rei.com/outlet due to arrive thursday. Can’t wait!



Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *