BootsnAll Travel Network



Paris is Wow – a glimpse with more to come…

PART I….

After meeting at the airport, Christine, Jon, and our Portland friend Annie (who’d been in Berlin with Christine), rode the suburban train into Paris center where we took our respective metro rides to meet up with our hosts: we with a friend of Jon’s sister and Annie with a couchsurf host living within spitting distance from the Eiffle Tower! Jon had arrived the night before and had already met our hosts, his sister’s friend Laurent and partner Caroline. They made us feel most welcome, and on the evening Christine arrived, plans had been made to meet up at a small music venue to hear some fine local rock music (a rarity in Paris so we’re told) before driving on to their flat for the evening. Christine was shocked by the sticker price of the beers – 6€ for a pint here instead of the 2.50€ she’d been enjoying in Berlin. Oh well, we weren’t there to drink anyway.

After the concert (where we met quite a few fellow Americans, including a young man from Staunton, VA) they drove us back to their homey apartment in a quaint little suburb called Arpajon. We would be staying with them for five days and it was quite nice that they lived a 45 minute train ride outside of Paris. This gave us the opportunity to experience the glitz and glamour of the city but sleep and wake up in the country. The best of both worlds!

So with five days in Paris – where to start?! We headed straight off the train on a walk towards the Eiffel Tower where we’d made romantic plans with Annie to “meet for a picnic under the Eiffle Tower at 1pm”. We stopped at sights along the way starting with the lovely Jardin de Luxembourg which was originally established by Catherine de Medici (an Italian) and a queen of France in the 17th century.

In the background is the Luxembourg Palace where the French Senate meets, sorry no visitors.

After the garden, we explored the inside of the St. Sulpice Cathedral where they have a really big organ. Jonathan decided to head back on Sunday morning for the end of mass when the organist stole the show (the sermon was in French after all) – really great sound but not overwhelming like he hoped. Apparently, they put lots of thought into the size of pipes to match the volume of the church so that all the notes were evenly balanced. It worked and there weren’t any thunderous low frequencies to rumble in his belly, but the music was still really beautiful.

We walked on through the quiet streets of a city on summer vacation, sometimes checking the frequent metro maps to see if we’re on the right path, sometimes asking locals, and finding yummy deli food to take on our picnic. Finally we arrived, found Annie, and all sat down for a great picnic in the gardens surrounding….

….the Eiffel Tower!

The Eiffle Tower was indeed as impressive as one would hope it would be. It is an enchanting landmark and so much fun to have always in the background or foreground as you stroll the streets of Paris. To be standing directly under it was fantastic, we all agreed.

After our picnic lunch rendez-vous with Annie, the three of us decided to check out the furnishings of her lovely Paris apartment (on loan for two nights via Couchsurfing).

We found the top of the building and spotted numerous landmarks from the 30-story rooftop. Just as good as the Eiffel Tower but it was free! Afterwards we had a cafe and walked across the bridge from Last Tango in Paris.

Our next stop was the Arc de Triomph, which was built by one of the Napoleons to commemorate all those soldiers killed fighting on his behalf – the Nazis paraded through here too. The sculpture here was really stunning and very large!

Then we went off searching for the Moulin Rouge, somewhere around Montmartre, but we settled for the Sacre Couer and took in the beautiful cityscape from this highest and probably the busiest hill of Paris.

Annie had the good fortune of meeting a local who whisked her up in secret to the top lookout. We’re glad that she shared this photo she took with us – nice view eh?

By now we were hungry and Jonathan by some great fortune had on his first day, discovered the little India neighborhood which was just a few stops away on the metro. The place was busy but we were seated right away and at the end of a fantastic meal, the three of us agreed it was the best affordable food in the city. SO Good in fact, that we would return to the same place again before trying still another Indian restaurant down the street which turned out to be even BETTER! Paris was faring far better than we hoped in terms of gastronomical bargains.

The next big day in Paris brought us to another suburb called Versailles – this was the home of the French royalty for some time including the last days where Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette endulged their final frivolities. The buildings were so spectacular from the outside that we decided we didn’t need to bother going in, and besides, the gardens were free, and hundreds times bigger than the buildings which were huge!

We picnicked by the grand canal in the sunshine before taking a nap as the tourists rowed their rental boats gently by our snoozing blissful forms. Afterwards we stumbled across some organic artisanal sorbet which Christine instisted be lemon flavor – ouch! The most bitter/tart iced “treat” ever! Still we managed to get it down. We made our way to Marie Antoinette’s house and took a little tour of the grounds before the rain hit. By that time we’d whiled away the better part of a day and were ready to head back.

We got to the subway, headed back to Paris and the three of us enjoyed an excellent meal of Indian food in the ethnic Indian quarter of Paris. It was a stellar day!

Tags: , , ,



99 Responses to “Paris is Wow – a glimpse with more to come…”

  1. Glennis Kopel Says:

    excellent points altogether, you simply won a logo new reader. What may you suggest about your post that you simply made a few days in the past? Any certain?

  2. Posted from Poland Poland
  3. Danny Lowney Says:

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

  4. Posted from Poland Poland
  5. Clement Kenik Says:

    My wife and i have been absolutely excited when Chris managed to deal with his investigation with the ideas he had from your very own blog. It’s not at all simplistic to simply find yourself releasing methods which usually people may have been making money from. We understand we have you to give thanks to because of that. The entire illustrations you made, the straightforward web site navigation, the relationships you will assist to engender – it’s got all overwhelming, and it is making our son and our family believe that that topic is cool, which is exceptionally essential. Many thanks for all!

  6. Posted from Poland Poland
  7. Jamey Rashid Says:

    I have recently started a web site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. “The word ‘genius’ isn’t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.” by Joe Theismann.

  8. Posted from Poland Poland
  9. Lawrence Damberger Says:

    I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are good quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

  10. Posted from Poland Poland
  11. Monserrate Southand Says:

    I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thanks again!

  12. Posted from Poland Poland
  13. Jeremy Mielsch Says:

    Someone necessarily help to make significantly posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the research you made to make this actual post amazing. Wonderful job!

  14. Posted from Poland Poland
  15. Tobias Leroy Says:

    As soon as I discovered this site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

  16. Posted from Poland Poland
  17. Alonso Challinor Says:

    I not to mention my guys have already been reviewing the excellent points found on your site and then quickly got a horrible suspicion I had not thanked the website owner for those tips. All of the ladies were consequently excited to see them and have honestly been tapping into them. Appreciate your indeed being really kind and then for making a decision on some magnificent subjects most people are really needing to know about. My honest regret for not saying thanks to you sooner.

  18. Posted from Poland Poland
  19. Colin Funkhouser Says:

    Thank you a lot for providing individuals with remarkably superb opportunity to read from this blog. It is often so awesome and jam-packed with a great time for me and my office mates to visit your website the equivalent of three times in one week to learn the latest things you will have. And indeed, I am just actually motivated with your sensational concepts you give. Some 3 points on this page are easily the finest we have all had.

  20. Posted from Poland Poland
  21. Malvina Okorududu Says:

    I’ve recently started a web site, the information you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work.

  22. Posted from Poland Poland
  23. Otto Lauderbaugh Says:

    I got what you intend, thanks for putting up.Woh I am delighted to find this website through google. “It is a very hard undertaking to seek to please everybody.” by Publilius Syrus.

  24. Posted from Poland Poland
  25. Leonora Brankovich Says:

    great issues altogether, you simply received a emblem new reader. What would you recommend about your put up that you simply made some days ago? Any sure?

  26. Posted from Poland Poland
  27. Glennis Kopel Says:

    Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem along with your web site in web explorer, would test this… IE still is the marketplace chief and a good section of other folks will leave out your great writing because of this problem.

  28. Posted from Poland Poland
  29. Leia Paris Says:

    Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just cool and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

  30. Posted from Poland Poland
  31. Celestine Ponce Says:

    I simply could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual information a person provide to your visitors? Is going to be back incessantly in order to investigate cross-check new posts.

  32. Posted from Poland Poland
  33. Becki Powelson Says:

    I intended to put you that tiny observation to help thank you very much again on your fantastic information you have featured at this time. This is quite unbelievably open-handed of you to offer unreservedly what exactly a number of us could possibly have distributed for an e-book to help with making some dough for their own end, even more so now that you might have tried it if you desired. The good ideas additionally served to become good way to be sure that most people have similar dreams just as my very own to understand more with regards to this problem. Certainly there are some more enjoyable occasions up front for people who see your blog post.

  34. Posted from Poland Poland
  35. Jamaal Spikes Says:

    Hi my loved one! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with approximately all important infos. I’d like to look more posts like this.

  36. Posted from Poland Poland
  37. Tobias Leroy Says:

    You have brought up a very fantastic details , regards for the post.

  38. Posted from Poland Poland
  39. Malvina Lofstead Says:

    certainly like your web site however you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I’ll surely come again again.

  40. Posted from Poland Poland
  41. Frank Bollbach Says:

    I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

  42. Posted from Poland Poland
  43. Rocco Wayns Says:

    I conceive you have observed some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post.

  44. Posted from Poland Poland
  45. Norah Pauli Says:

    I will immediately seize your rss feed as I can’t find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me recognise in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

  46. Posted from Poland Poland
  47. Frank Bollbach Says:

    I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thanks again!

  48. Posted from Poland Poland
  49. Venetta Lacosse Says:

    I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again!

  50. Posted from Poland Poland
  51. Octavia Kolen Says:

    Very interesting topic , thanks for posting . “Nothing is more wretched than the mind of a man conscious of guilt.” by Titus Maccius Plautus.

  52. Posted from Poland Poland
  53. Milan Zacate Says:

    I like this website very much, Its a real nice situation to read and obtain information. “There are two ways of spreading light to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” by Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

  54. Posted from Poland Poland
  55. Carter Moles Says:

    Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Wonderful. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.

  56. Posted from Poland Poland
  57. Rocco Wayns Says:

    naturally like your website but you need to check the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the reality nevertheless I’ll definitely come again again.

  58. Posted from Poland Poland
  59. Sharron Gant Says:

    Hiya very cool web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I am satisfied to find numerous useful information here in the publish, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.

  60. Posted from Poland Poland
  61. Juan Janke Says:

    We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

  62. Posted from Poland Poland
  63. Sid Crookshanks Says:

    Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

  64. Posted from Poland Poland
  65. Rozella Luccous Says:

    I was reading some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is real informative! Keep on posting.

  66. Posted from Poland Poland
  67. Ray Doshi Says:

    Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw great design .

  68. Posted from Poland Poland
  69. Antoine Chasnoff Says:

    Real nice style and excellent content , nothing else we want : D.

  70. Posted from Poland Poland
  71. Moises Baatz Says:

    I was reading some of your posts on this site and I believe this site is real informative! Keep posting.

  72. Posted from Poland Poland
  73. Olen Vann Says:

    Good – I should certainly pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related information ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task.

  74. Posted from Poland Poland
  75. Moses Mckerley Says:

    Normally I don’t read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very great post.

  76. Posted from Poland Poland
  77. Maryjane Liddick Says:

    I really like your writing style, excellent information, thanks for putting up :D. “He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors.” by Rudyard Kipling.

  78. Posted from Poland Poland
  79. Avril Otremba Says:

    Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Wonderful. I am also a specialist in this topic so I can understand your effort.

  80. Posted from Poland Poland
  81. Raul Says:

    @mitcharno Good point.  While I think there is truth to “the road is still being built” I understand your point. I have seen even social media consultants teach classes where they tell the students not to follow the norms and that the newbies on the block

    http://allin1panel.com/blog/win-social-media-marketing-12-days/

  82. Johnny Theriault Says:

    Only wanna comment on few general things, The website design is perfect, the content material is rattling superb : D.

  83. Posted from Poland Poland
  84. Taisha Spettel Says:

    Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web-site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply could not come across. What a great web site.

  85. Posted from Poland Poland
  86. Carter Moles Says:

    We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

  87. Posted from Poland Poland
  88. Nubia Wahlund Says:

    You have brought up a very great details , appreciate it for the post.

  89. Posted from Poland Poland
  90. Daron Brafman Says:

    Somebody necessarily assist to make severely posts I might state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and up to now? I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular publish incredible. Wonderful job!

  91. Posted from Poland Poland
  92. Elena Hartlep Says:

    Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the information I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What a great web site.

  93. Posted from Poland Poland
  94. Betsy Yingling Says:

    Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.

  95. Posted from Poland Poland
  96. Colinoneli Says:

    essay maker essay format

Leave a Reply