BootsnAll Travel Network



Feelin’ the V.I.B.B.E. in Kenmare

What do good travelers need? Good travelin’ friends who are willing to meet you on another continent for a bit of shared birthday fun!

Our good friends from Portland, Brian and Annie, had taken to the traveling life themselves in March of this year and so – since we were all round about Europe somewhere – it was agreed that we would come together again in Kenmare, Ireland, to celebrate that Brian and Christine would be turning 34 within a few days of each other.  Thus was born the idea for the Virgo Ireland Birthday Bonanza Extravaganza….or V.I.B.B.E.After we left Eldamare Farm we were at a bit of a loss as to where to all meet up.  We’d been doing some research on renting cottages, but since we were all on a strict budget we couldn’t find a place we could afford for very long.  However Ireland is a land that relies on word-of-mouth, and it wasn’t long before the perfect solution was presented to us.  A wonderful woman in town, Siobhan (pronounced Shivonne), owned a B&B called Limestone Lodge.  Initially she offered us a few rooms in the top of the lodge that the four of us could have to ourselves at a discounted rate, but then she quickly had a better idea she offered us.  It seems she’d just recently had a brand new house built down the road which she intended to rent out as a single family dwelling.  It was a four bed/four bath house with every new applicance you could think of, fully furnished with beds and all.  It still needed some finishing touches – curtains hung, floors polished, shelves hung, etc – and that was where we came in.  In exchange for a bit of work we could all stay in the house just as long as we liked!  Jon and I stayed in the house for the week before Brian and Annie arrived to get it a bit ready, since when we got there the kitchen was still floor to ceiling with construction refuse and packing materials.  We both got to do fun/creative projects to finish off the house – Christine sewing and fitting curtains, and Jon sanding this old rusty fire surround.

By the time our friends arrived we had a bonafide home all to ourselves: a huge luxury for a pair of wwoofers! Annie and Christine got right down to the business of doing some cooking and baking. A new co-op had opened around the corner, so between that and Siobhan’s organic garden, maintained by all-around good guy Buddy, we had so many great ingredients to work with.  Being that we all pretty much stay in line with a vegan/vegetarian diet, it was great fun for us to be creative in the kitchen together and not have to compromise with other dietary habits.  We came up with some pretty great stuff!

food1.JPG  

And of course the very special vegan birthday deliciousness: apple cake made from local apples we gleaned from an abandoned orchard and vanilla bean goats milk ice cream Annie made from the organic goat’s milk they’d brought with them from the farm they’d just been wwoofing on.

Wow!  More, please!!

We watched movies, played lots of cards, baked a ton of vegan goodies, made lots of salads and soups and yummy seasonal food.  We even had a pot luck dinner party with 6 guests (which is amazing considering we’d only been in Kenmare a month).  Everyone had a great time and the week passed by all too quickly.  It was fantastic to get time with our friends, and Annie and Christine especially enjoyed having some serious girl time.  No doubt about it, it was a fantastic VIBBE!During the week it so happened that Jonathan ran into a bit of luck.  Earlier in the month he’d been eyeing an Alternative Energy Conference being held at Findhorn Community in Scotland. We were making tentative arrangements for him to attend when we found that it’d been canceled for lack of attendance.  The disappointment didn’t last long when we found out that there was to be an alternative building symposium happening in small Kenmare that very week! And as luck would have it, we had already been introduced to the man putting it together, and he said that Jon could help run the AV equip and attend the conference for free!  Awesome!  And so it happened that on a few of the days of VIBBE, Jon was able to attend the First International Hemp Building Symposium and get a lot out of that.

An unforseen side benefit we all got from Jon’s attendance was an invitation to go on a car trip to the famous Skellig Michael Island with some symposium attendees. So the four of us crammed into the back of the car for a road trip!

map_kerry.jpg

The island of Skellig Michael is a wonder of the world – it’s a steep rocky island about 15 off the coast and is the larger of the two Skellig Islands. After being founded around the 7th century, for 600 years the island was a centre of monastic life for Irish Christian monks. This crazy monastery, sitting atop the summit of the 230-metre-high rock, is one of Europe’s better known but least accessible monasteries.  To get there you have to make arrangement well in advance, take a small chartered boat and pay 50€ per person to do so.  It was that last bit that got us, and so we walked our friends to the dock and saw them off on their journey.  The boat goes out one time and comes back five hours later, so for four hours they’d be on the island and said we could tool around in their car if we like.  Great!  Here we are seeing them off:

We saw some beautiful beautiful sights that day.  We were blessed with a gorgeous day for amazing Irish sea and country.  The pictures are too numerous to put it, and we fear they can’t begin to do justice to the nature we witnessed that day.  But we had a wonderful time and want to share it with you as best we can!

When we drove up on a ridge we could look out and see Skellig Michael, the island where our friends were:

Do you see it all the way out there?

We had a picnic lunch at the beach which included free hemp chocolate (zero THC content if you were wondering)!  On the way back to Kenmare the group stopped at an old medieval ring fort, probably the oldest, best preserved in Ireland. Really neat stuff and almost perfect dry stone wall construction. Amazing! The four of us friends had a great celebration V.I.B.B.E. together. After a tearful goodbye to our dear friends Brian and Annie, we were off to spend a few days with Jon’s cousin Evan and wife Jane, with their one-year-old daughter Sophie.

Such a beautiful and happy baby – we really enjoyed having the time to spend with family. We delighted in pulling up their potatoes they had planted and talked earnestly about buying land and becoming self-sufficient. Jonathan was also fortunate enough to take a walk with the family to the local park where he marvelled at the exotic trees planted there, including the invasive Japanese rhododendron as well as the fungi growing on some others.

Like all things great however, our relaxation time had come to an end and it was on to the next experience: helping rebuild a boat moored on the coast of West Cork.  Evan was kind enough to drive us to the next big town where we could catch the bus, travel for two hours and finally arrive in Baltimore, Ireland, where our adventure would continue!

Tags: , , ,



945 Responses to “Feelin’ the V.I.B.B.E. in Kenmare”

  1. Avril Otremba Says:

    Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I’m sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks on your effort!

  2. Posted from Poland Poland
  3. Lauren Puebla Says:

    I was reading through some of your content on this website and I think this web site is rattling informative! Continue posting.

  4. Posted from Poland Poland
  5. Bernadine Sanzone Says:

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my web site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  6. Posted from Poland Poland
  7. extra income Says:

    This is one awesome blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

  8. Bettye Duelm Says:

    Very interesting topic, thank you for posting.

  9. Posted from Poland Poland
  10. Daniele Mcright Says:

    Hi there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.

  11. Posted from Poland Poland
  12. Denis Serrao Says:

    Dead pent subject matter, appreciate it for selective information. “The last time I saw him he was walking down Lover’s Lane holding his own hand.” by Fred Allen.

  13. Posted from Poland Poland
  14. Maria Vastine Says:

    Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such wonderful information being shared freely out there.

  15. Posted from Poland Poland
  16. hibiscus tea site Says:

    The whole look of your web site is fantastic, let well as the content material! Excellent weblog right here! Additionally your site quite a bit up very fast!

  17. hotel deals Says:

    Some truly great posts on this site, appreciate it for contribution.

  18. Paternity Test Says:

    you put to make such a magnificent informative website.

  19. Shasta Wesch Says:

    I like this post, enjoyed this one thanks for putting up.

  20. Posted from Poland Poland
  21. Yacht Charter Greece Says:

    you may have an ideal blog here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my blog?

  22. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thank you, I¡¦ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website?

  23. Automotive Says:

    My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

  24. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I have been examinating out many of your posts and i can state clever stuff. I will surely bookmark your site.

  25. House & Home Improvement Says:

    Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Great. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

  26. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I together with my guys were actually reading through the good helpful hints from your web page and then at once I got a terrible suspicion I never thanked the web site owner for them. These men are actually consequently happy to study all of them and have now in actuality been taking pleasure in these things. Thanks for really being so helpful and also for obtaining certain marvelous tips most people are really eager to discover. My personal sincere regret for not saying thanks to you sooner.

  27. automaker Says:

    It is in reality a nice and helpful piece of information. I¡¦m satisfied that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

  28. mechanic Says:

    hello there and thank you for your information – I’ve definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this website, since I experienced to reload the site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

  29. auto group Says:

    hi!,I love your writing very so much! percentage we be in contact more about your post on AOL? I need an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

  30. business Says:

    I’m so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.

  31. automotive solutions Says:

    Keep functioning ,terrific job!

  32. sale car Says:

    Fantastic site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you to your effort!

  33. daily finance Says:

    I have been reading out some of your stories and it’s pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

  34. facebook promotions Says:

    I think this is a real great article post.Really looking forward to read more. Much obliged.

  35. kamagra Says:

    Thanks again for the article post.Much thanks again. Want more.

  36. https://www.pkbaseline.com Says:

    o no gratis Take a look at my site videncia gratis

  37. Romero Says:

    Thanks for the blog. Will read on…

  38. cayote buttes Says:

    It is a pity, that now I can not express I hurry up on job. I will be released I will necessarily express the opinion on this question.

  39. News Says:

    Im thankful for the blog article. Great.

  40. children's blankets Says:

    Singapore New Property How do I place a social bookmark to this webpage and I can read updates? This excerpt is very great!

  41. garden pest control Says:

    I think the admin of this site is genuinely working hard

  42. home security systems reviews Says:

    Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of the site is extremely good.

  43. to learn more Says:

    I truly appreciate this blog post.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

  44. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Sarita Sweeton

    I found a great…

  45. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Garland Miyamura

    I found a great…

  46. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Maryellen Varin

    I found a great…

  47. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    proxies cheap

    I found a great…

  48. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    use proxies

    I found a great…

  49. Posted from United States United States
  50. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    facebook proxies

    I found a great…

  51. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Brendon Kaewprasert

    I found a great…

  52. infradito eleganti donna Says:

    infradito eleganti donna

    lunette de soleil kenzo femme 2018 palle di natale led mocassini fratelli rossetti ballerine argento bambina gucci formatori gg lenti a contatto per la notte tee shirt publicitaire personnalis茅 blouson moto furygan cuir costume homme marque solde

  53. prise en charge perruque Says:

    prise en charge perruque

    pull etoile foulard automne 2018 karstadt gelsenkirchen buer kurze sport tights damen led lampen bauhaus kapuzenjacke winter damen marc kors taschen sup paddel holz michael kors uhr blaues zifferblatt

  54. Colinoneli Says:

    buying essays online write an essay for me

Leave a Reply