BootsnAll Travel Network



Shangli again

Enjoyed my time in Kanding. The place kind of grew on me with its mix of Tibetan and Chinese cultures in an uneasy balance. Actually I found the place very friendly and easy going with its mixture of monks, tibetans and chinese and couldn’t feel safer. It was the fact there is rarely a police car further than 30 metres away and enough paramilitaries to ensure perfect harmony that left me wondering. Will British towns and cities look this way in 10 years time with our multi cultural experiment. Certainly the Chinese arent prepared to accept the “no go” areas like we do.
So after leaving Kanding decided to break the journey again in Shangli. No reason except I like the place. Got a nice place with a balcony overlooking the river and old town , watching budding Chinese artists and photographers do their stuff. All very easy and stress free and not a policeman in sight. In fact even my guest house didnt care to see my passport, just simple rural folk living their lives in a carefree world.
Of to the big city of Chengdu tomorrow then fly home. A short break but still interesting. China still changing at an incredible pace, prices fairly high and visas are a pain. But Sichuan province , if it were an independant country would probably be regarded as the best country in the world to visit, however as just another province of Greater
China it still remains relatively well hidden to the western world bar the pandas.



Tags:

Comments are closed.