BootsnAll Travel Network



Xi’an

What makes Xi’an unique is the enormous City Wall that surrounds the central block of the city. You can actually walk the entire wall in four and a half hours. The must see…Terracotta Warriors: They say it could be called the 8th wonder of the world. 6,000 plus soldiers unearthed dating back 2,000 years during Qin Shi Huang’s rule. A special attribute to this discovery is that each terracotta soldier is different; no two soldier’s faces are alike. Save the best for last and start backwards: Pit 3, Pit 2 then make your way to Pit 1 and you will not be disappointed. The Big Goose Pagoda at night with an awesome fountain/music show is pretty fantastic. It goes down every night at 8:30–highly recommended and the best thing is…it’s free!Click here for more photos!

cimg7821.JPG    terra1.jpg    cimg7809.JPG 

Great Mosque and Muslim Quarter: Good eats and cheap. I pretty much ate here every day. I don’t know the local names but they come close to: steam buns, loads of kebabs, flat bread sandwiches and heaps of desserts….the huashenggao “peanut cakes” are to die for!  

peanutcakes.jpg

I didn’t plan on staying here for five days but because the trains were full I had no choice. Though,  in my extended time here, I’ve developed a fondness for this city. I wouldn’t mind settling here at all. Anyway, I’m off to Qingdao…. It’s going to be a long train ride – 20 hours! Yikes! But with a fully charged ipod, a good book and bag full of peanut cakes – it won’t be that bad 🙂     



Tags:

One response to “Xi’an”

  1. Rhona says:

    Looks like a fantastic place to visit! I love the terracotta army. Love that. Most of the food looks great but for the live shrimp. Uhm, I’de have pass. lol. Looking forward to more updates of your adventures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *