BootsnAll Travel Network



Feeling Lucky and “Fresh”

So after two nights in an overly priced single room I finally moved into the dormitory at Y60 bed ($7). Yep I could hear my bank account thanking me right now:) I roomed in with four gals. (Therese Norway, Joanna & Beth PI and Yumi Japan). Two of the four (Joanna & Beth) are English teachers here in China!! OMG, I couldn’t frickin’ believe it – Just my luck!! And it gets better… they work in Qingdao!! Qingdao is one of the two cities I looked into teaching in. They gave me the 411 on getting a teaching job and offered to help me when I get there. Sweeeet!

Last night was Therese’s 24th bday and we celebrated by going out to dinner. At dinner, the girls and I found out what “Fresh” on the menu really meant. We ordered up some fresh shrimps in soy sauce. The waitress brought out a covered dish, placed it on our table and in quickness revealed the dish. To our dismay, the shrimps were alive and kicking! They were swimming in the soy and a few of them were actually jumping out of the bowl and onto our table. LOL! It was great. The shrimps were quite tasty but after my fifth one I couldn’t eat any more. You should of seen Therese’s reaction though–it was classic! If only we had it on video. This is definitely a birthday celebration she’ll never forget. Happy Birthday sweetie!

My six days in Beijing came and went–here it is in a nutshell:

The Great Wall: Amazing! I recommend not going to the Badaling side of the Wall. Too much tourist….it’s impossible to get a shot without having someone’s head in the photo. And this is low season so I can’t imagine being here during the high.

Summer Palace: Breathtakingly beautiful! I think I enjoyed myself more here than at the Great Wall. I’d love to see this place in the summer!

Forbidden City: It’s a city within a city. It’s huge! Another must see when in Beijing.

My Mandarin is slightly improving and I pretty much mastered the Beijing public transportation system. Yay me! Oh and I had myself some fried baby scorpions – they were a bit spicy but overall very good.

Today is my last day in Beijing. Tonight I catch an overnight train to Xi’an with Therese!



Tags: ,

13 responses to “Feeling Lucky and “Fresh””

  1. Josh says:

    Shrimp jumping out of the bowl, fried scorpions? Looks like your having a blast! Keep the blogs coming.

  2. Tracy says:

    Hope you get lots of help finding a job. I can’t believe its already a week. Just last week you, me n sheila hitting were hitting Jack n the Boxes by your pad=)

    Mischu.

  3. Anna says:

    Oh wow, they weren’t kidding when they said “fresh”. I dunno about that Sophia, better you than me though. Enjoy it all for us here. Can’t wait to hear how Xi’an will be. Take Care.

  4. Muscles Badillo says:

    Did you eat the shrimp raw? Do an experiment and drink that water and tell me how your stomach feels.

  5. SAMMY says:

    WOW, it’s like teaching English in China was really what was planned for you. Hopefully everything works out. I wonder how your newly friends were freaking out about them shrimps jumping all over the place. Well it looks like I’ll be sailing for a month so I probably won’t be able to read your blogs or anything. Well have fun and good luck.

  6. Nolan says:

    Your adventure with the shrimp is just like that t-mobile commercial with Dwayne Wade, Charles Barkley, and Yao Ming! (Sorry if you haven’t seen it) I’m normally adventurous when it comes to food, but I probably would’ve died if I had eaten raw shrimp. (food allergy, remember?) Anyway, I’m glad you met fellow English teachers out there! It looks like things are shaping up nicely.

    By the way, did you eat the head?

  7. JD says:

    so the dwade -barkley-yao commercial IS true…

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYIu61cFqxc

  8. Sophia says:

    Hey all, Yes I ate the shrimp raw – head and all 🙂 Nol, I just saw the video (thanks for the link Joel) – soooo funny!

  9. Auntie Luisa says:

    Just take care of yourself OK.

    LOL

  10. Auntie Margie & Family says:

    Gung Hay Fat Choi(mean happy new year in Chinese) good luck and hopefully u find a job soon and keep us update. Take Care…we will miss u!!!!

  11. JuLeS says:

    Glad to hear that you made friends and that they can also help you with the teaching job. Also, your adventures are so interesting to read! Can’t wait to hear/read more! Take care!!

  12. Ching says:

    Ni Hao Sophia!

    Aww so envious of all the food. My favorite from the street vendors in Beijing is “Yang Rou Chuan” or as Beijing’ers would say “Yang Rou Chua’r” It’s like lamb shishkebab but seasoned to perfection… My mouth is watering as I think about it 😛

    OHOhOh… I didn’t know you were heading to QingDao… that’s in Shan Dong (my HOME province, well based on Chinese familial lineages that is, which are based all on the paternal lineage. I’m even named after it. Back b4 the modernization of China ShanDong was called Qing Zhou… so yes my name means Son from the Province of Qing).

    Oh yea.. in Beijing you also have to eat PEKING DUCK aka “BeiJing Kao Ya”

    zai jian bao bei!
    Ding Zhaoqing

  13. Sophia says:

    Ching aka Son from the Province of Qing,

    I saved my last night in Beijing for the peking duck but unfortunately wasn’t able to find a restaurant that was open. All the restaurants here close at 9pm Bummer! 🙁

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *