BootsnAll Travel Network



6/29

Go out for a walk in the morning around eleven, hit up the sausages and taters again, then stroll through some parks and gardens. See some more giant German ducks, some swans and a few Canadian geese (! long commute, ya?). Hamburg has a nice secluded little pond with a dirt trail around it, that feels isolated from the city, very rural and placid. I take a wrong turn and wind up on the Reeperbahn again, then on a street called Louise-Schroder Strasse, which is my mother’s middle and maiden names together. My ancestors call to me. Stop in at a bar and have a beer and watch the passersby. A black fellow on crutches from England is hitting on a homely German woman shamelessly, he gives her a back massage, tells her she is wonderful, bats his eyes etc. After a while it gets nauseating and I head out. I have walked as much as I am going to walk for today, my legs are giving out so I head back. Drink a warm beer and watch some Wimbledon (no soccer for a change). Bells!! More fucking bells, coming from a nearby tower. They are trying to chase me out of Germany with these things. Then later, a little bird is chirping madly outside my window. She is agitated, panicked, flitting this way and that, and keeps coming back to hover near another window, where a cat stares out at her intently. She keeps at it for hours, even after the sun goes down. Did the cat get one of her young? The chirps are mournful and distraught. I long to help her, but I am helpless as usual. And the globe spins on.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply