BootsnAll Travel Network



Puerto Escondido: What will I have for dinner??

I arrived in Puerto Escondido on Friday, July 6 via Pachutla. From Oaxaca City to Pachutla the ride took about 7hrs via the mountainous region of Oaxaca. Someone told me it was over 3,000 metres. Not sure if that was true. From Pachutla to Puerto Escondido I got in a colectivo that took another hour. That day was just so exhausting. It’s a hard life traveling….

When I arrived in Puerto Escondido, I got off the bus. I realized I got off at the wrong side of town. As I was walking, I was drenched in sweat looking like the lost tourist in an unknown town. I was getting frustrated and I finally asked for directions from a guy name Mario who was sitting in an empty restaurant. He said where I was going was “muy complicado.” He then grabbed his keys and drove me to Hotel Mayflower in his beat up bug. Very nice people here in Mexico!!!

I’ve been doing a lot of hanging out here in Puerto Escondido. A day in a life in this beach town of Mexico is: Wake up, make some breakfast, return the last beer bottle to the store for 5-peso, go straight to the beach, go back to the hostel, make lunch, hang out for a bit, go with other folks to the beach, go back to the hostel, make dinner, grab a 1.2 litre of beer, drink…, return the bottle where you bought the beer for a 5-peso rebate, then get another 1.2 liter of Sol… then repeat… I can get use to this lifestyle. This place just sucks everyone in…..

I’m almost done with my PADI. I finished watching the videos. Read the entire scuba diving book (ya right!). And finished my fourth dive today. Woohoo. By the end of this, I should be the DiveMeister!!! At first, breathing underwater is a little weird, especially if you’re still hung over from the night before. But, I was excited to learn. I was so excited, during my confine dive in the swimming pool; I jumped in the pool with a pack of cigarettes tucked underneath my wet suit. There go my 20-pesos….

The only problem I have with Puerto Escondido is the weather. It’s just too humid here. I shouldn’t be complaining. It’s still better than being stuck in an office plugging away numbers and pretending to be busy. ahhaha…(i did lots!). I’m definitely getting used to this lifestyle… how my biggest worry is what I will have for dinner and what kind of Mexican beer should I have for the evening. Let me tell you, it’s awesome.

I hope to leave Puerto Escondido by this weekend. We will have to wait and see about that. If I make it out of here, my next destination is San Cristobal.

I promise to load some pictures soon…..



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “Puerto Escondido: What will I have for dinner??”

  1. Daniel says:

    Ron… Remember… don’t take any of those 3000 meter bus trips the day after you dive!!!!! That would be really really bad unless the bus has a pressurized oxygen chamber in the back. Looks like you’re having a magnificent time. We are all soooo freakin’ jealous.

  2. Erica says:

    sounds like fun Ron! Keep up the blogs!

  3. Janice says:

    Okay…so I’m a little jealous. Sounds like you are having a great time. Have a Sol for me.

  4. admin says:

    Daniel – I hope San Cristobal is not so high up. Although its located in the mountains.. i think.. i need to open up my travel book again.. ahahha…

    Erica – yep the fun old me! ahha..

    Janice – i will def have a sol for ya..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *