BootsnAll Travel Network



Oaxaca City: Ruins, Mole, Chocolate and Earthquake

I arrived in Oaxaca City late Wednesday afternoon (4th of July). When I checked in the hostel Independence Day was being shown.

The bus ride from Puebla to Oaxaca City was very scenic. It was a fine day being in bus. Gorgeous mountains can be seen from afar, and cliffs that made me hold on to my seat so tight that my hand started to hurt.

I just took it easy the first night. It was pouring rain. I hate the rain, however it clears up the air.

The following day, I woke up early to visit the ancient Zopotec capital of Monte Alban. The ruin lies on top of the flattened hilltop with a 360-degrees view of four valleys. The view was heavenly.

I run into a Antoine from France on the way up to the ruins. We stayed in the same hostel in Puebla. I also run into a couple from Slovenia who were in the same bus with me from Puebla to Oaxaca. It seems like everyone is heading towards south of Mexico. It is nice to run into other travelers whom I’ve met in different places.

After three hours of walking throughout the massive ruins, we were craving some traditional Oaxacan meal. I ordered Oaxacan negra mole for which the state is very famous for. It was delicious.

Oaxaca is also famous for its chocolate. I went into one of the famous chocolate houses in the historical district. The store makes chocolate in house. The smell of chocolate is so strong I went ahead and ordered a cup of traditional chocolate drink. Right when I was enjoying my rich chocolate drink, the ground started to shake. Everyone started looking up the ceiling while the chandelier sways back and forth. Indeed, there was a 6.1 magnitude earthquake centered in Chiapas state capital of Tuxtla. Obviously I’m fine and unaffected by the quake. I wouldn’t be writing this blog otherwise.

I’m heading towards the coast to Huatulco in couple hours that will eventually lead me to the surf capital of Puerto Escondido by the weekend.



Tags: ,

0 responses to “Oaxaca City: Ruins, Mole, Chocolate and Earthquake”

  1. Melanie says:

    You’re so awsome! Everytime I read your blog I feel like you are on a national geographic TV show! Keep on posting blogs! They are so exciting!

  2. ellen says:

    hey, what is your email address???

    where exactly are u in mexico?

    u shld get a map and mark every place you’ve been or is there one on here already?

    U don’t miss cali yet?

    hahhaah…so many questions…anyway, I’m glad the earthquake didn’t disrupt your adventure

  3. admin says:

    Melanie – i know and thank you for finally reading.

    Ellen – drop the 1000 questions. hahaha..jk. my email address is my first initial and my last name (if you can spell it right) @gmail.com. i have a wold atlas that i look at everynight before that is now somewhere in my parents garage. no i don’t miss you. yes, thank goodness it didnt disrupt.

  4. Karen says:

    How about some pictures?

  5. Judy says:

    nrmmmmm chocolate and mole, my 2 favorites together! 😛 j/k – I don’t really care for mole although I’m a huge fan of chocolate. be safe dude and can’t wait to hear more of your adventures!

  6. admin says:

    Karen – i will load my pictures when i return end of the month.

    judy – mole is really good.. yes, chocolate in oaxaca is excellent.

  7. john ngo says:

    wut up rj! sounds like you’re having a helluva good time. wish i was able to join you on your adventure around the globe. be safe out there and i’ll see you whenever it is you’ll be back in the states. piece out holmes!

  8. Marie says:

    haha! how do you pronounce oaxaca? hahaha!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *