BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 41: 26th Mar – Chitwan

Nepal’s calm and quiet demeanour has a big affect on the group, especially as the previous country was plagued with chaos and disorder.  Because of the taste left in our mouths from India, the group aren’t as close knit as we could be, but that part of the trip is happily behind us, with only the prospect of peace and tranquility ahead.  We awake with a sunny, warm morning welcome, gathering our bags as usual as we head to our next stop – Chitwan National Park.

The road to the National Park was short and refreshing in comparison to the long and arduous roads of India, with plenty of scenery and flora instead of vast, flat fields.  When you consider the average travel time in India was close to eight hours (and not every day was spent on the bus), the three hour drive to the hotel was a breath of fresh air.  The refreshing journey was topped off once we arrived in Chitwan.

Our hotel, called Park Side Hotel, looked more like a large British Empire-esk house than a hotel; one main entrance with the reception being in a different building, rooms looking more like a sparsely furnished home than a hotel and very minimal facilities.  Sure, it’s not 5* luxury, but compared to the places we’ve stayed in the past, this was light, airy and comfortable.  Surrounded by trees, tall grass, sun, the smallest of roads and the park’s quiet persona, it felt like we had just arrived in paradise.  Imagine the satisfied feeling you get when you arrive home from a busy and stressful day, sit down on your comfortable couch or bed and absorb the quiet of your front room or bedroom, listening only to your breath and clearing your mind – that’s the feeling I had once I arrived.

After settling down, we get given a walking tour of the area. First we visit a live museum (or, from what I could see, someones house and front yard). There’s a small talk about the surrounding area and its history, along with a conveniently placed souvenir stall. There’s an actual museum, filled with farming artifacts, which was our next stop. Seemingly plonked in the the middle of a field with cannabis plants lining the path, it was uneventful but tranquil. We were also given the pleasure of meeting some local kids, who jumped at the chance to show off their game of throwing and collecting slippers.

We move on to a nearby elephant stable before sunset.  This was an amazing yet disturbing sight, as the animals were chained up to large tree trunks. Story being that once they were free to roam, but would destroy the stable, including the people’s habitat that maintained them.  Despite the logic, the sight is still unnerving and saddening.  On the way back to the hotel, we stumble across some rhinos bathing in the river flowing through the field.  As we watch these large beasts playfully rolling around in the water, with the sunset as a backdrop, the sense of calm overwhelms and a feeling of peace was prominent.

Our guide tells us that dinner will be followed by a local surprise.  Dinner was pleasant, with candle lit tables on a covered balcony and buffet service.  A few drinks and we’re all awaiting the surprise.  After dinner, we head over to the hotel lawn/garden area where the hotel had organised a local dance show.  Live music, a lot of shouting, slapping sticks and someone playing with fire ensued.  We were even persuaded to join in with the dance, with half the group lost within a large circle of flailing arms, kicking legs and singing voices.  Nepal was doing it’s best to impress and amaze us, and it was working.

After a little cool down from the dancing, some of the girls and I head out to a small wedding after party we heard about from one of the staff working in the restaurant.  Walking through the poorly lit road to a house with a large concrete slab as a porch, we wonder what we got ourselves in to.  Assuming eyes glance our way as we wander into the party, cheesy pop music blaring.  We do manage to have a little dance, with the girls attracting more attention than myself (naturally).  After another beer or three we retreat to our hotel and rest for the day ahead.  Up and out at sunrise, as usual.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *