Mix Me a Tui Tai, Darling

// February 6th, 2013 // Cruise, South Pacific, Travel

Mix Me Header med

Fiji does hedonistic ‘escape’ packages up there with the best, but what about something that wraps all facets of these fascinating islands into one irresistible bundle? Roderick Eime disappears off the tourist map to find out.

Beyond the manicured lawns, swimming pools and cocktail bars of Denarau Island, there exists another Fiji; one of remote, deserted beaches, hundreds of uninhabited islands, unspoiled coral reefs and vivid cultural encounters. Many of these outer locations are easily accessible by light aircraft, but to voyage by small ship from a secret anchorage out into the tropical heaven is the sort experience you would only expect to read about in some flowery novel.

As our travel tastes mature and our expectations more sophisticated, the mundane and predictable “brochure” offerings become less alluring, hence the concept of small ship cruising. Niche, intimate and enriching, travel by vessels with as few as a couple of dozen guests enjoying superior service, cuisine and activities in a sustainable and culturally respectful manner is more and more appealing.

One of the best examples of this type of experience is that of Savusavu-based Tui Tai Expeditions. Tui Tai’s delightful three-masted design and generous interior space made her an ideal conversion for boutique itineraries. She was acquired by current owners Tige and Morika Young in 2002 and refitted to carry just 24 guests in comfortable cabins. In 2006, Tui Tai she was remodeled again with more luxurious refinements like a massage/spa studio, private cabanas and deluxe staterooms. There’s plenty of space to flop and relax with a book or just snooze and guests are free to be as active or as lazy as they want.

Fiji_2578

Tui Tai offers a catalogue of activities that encompasses every possible aspect of tropical island excitement. Scuba diving, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, village visits and traditional dancing all pack into either a 5- or 7-night all-inclusive itinerary.

On board, you can enjoy private cabanas on the sun deck, spa treatments and marine biology lectures from the biologist travelling with you.

Dining is open air on the back deck and just superb under a brilliant star-lit sky on a balmy evening. A couple hundred metres from shore, your meal is undisturbed by mosquitoes or other flying pests. Alternatively, meals are served inside if it rains, which it will do occasionally in these parts.

Tui Tai’s playground is the gorgeous waters to the east of homeport, Savsavu on Vanua Levu. Each expedition cruise visits the lush garden island of Taveuni and its sublime Bouma Falls Reserve, the anomalous cultural enclaves of Rabi and Kioa, the uninhabited Ringgold Atolls and the eco-reserve of Qamea. National Geographic Adventure were impressed enough to list Tui Tai among their 25 best trips for 2009.

Fiji_0217

Visits to the islands of Rabi and Kioa deliver a particularly unique Fijian experience. The communities on these islands were moved to their present location from other islands in the Pacific.

My personal passion is scuba diving and Fiji is renowned the world over for its superb underwater opportunities. The outer reefs attract magnificent manta rays, dolphins and giant pelagic fish all against a backdrop of some of the most beautiful hard and soft corals anywhere. Divers of all experience can enjoy these waters and it’s even possible to acquire your PADI Open Water certification with the onboard instructor.

Relaxing in one of voluminous lounges on the deck, a satisfying lunch on top of my morning exercise, it’s easy to drift off into a carefree, fantasy slumber filled with reefs of colourful fish, secluded atolls the gentle flap of a sail in the breeze.

Fact File:

Tui Tai Expeditions offer 5- or 7-night all-inclusive itineraries ex-Savasavu. Fares begin at US$2493 per person, twin share for five nights and $2990 for seven. Suitable for all styles of traveller, but best enjoyed by the more active.

Further information: www.tuitai.com

Air Pacific flies daily from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne direct to Nadi with daily connections to Savusavu with Pacific Sun.

www.airpacific.com www.pacificsun.com.fj

Leave a Reply