BootsnAll Travel Network



Changes, Changes

Jim & I have had 3 exciting changes in the last couple of months. First of all, Jim got a new job. The downside is that he really enjoyed his day to day work at Schwans, but we just couldn’t handle the horrific hours any longer.  It’s too bad Schwans can’t realize people shouldn’t  have to work from 9am-10 or 11pm every day!! His new job is with his friend Mike working for Arlenco Distribution, a low voltage electrical company. They sell surveillance cameras, video equipment, receivers, etc. The work is a new challenge for him to learn all new product but on the sales side he’s a pro, of course. It’s 8-5 Mon through Fri and it’s made a huge difference to have him home in the evenings and also for him not to be totally exhausted every weekend.

The second big change was that we adopted a fantastic dog whom we named Maddy. I was walking into work one day and there was a woman walking a dog right outside with a coat on that said “adopt me”. I stopped to ask about her and this dog was immediately all over me, licking me, wanting to sit on my feet pressed against my leg, etc. I called Jim to have him look at Pixie Projects website for a photo of her and turns out they’d only had her 4 days so nothing online yet. Jim & I went to look at her together the next day and we took her home 2 days later. She’s 8-9yrs old, a black lab- Australian shephard mix and was found lost or abandoned in SW Washington. The humane society picked her up there and Pixie Project got her from them. (Ironically enough, the owners of the building that Dosha is located in are also the founders of the Pixie Project rescue). She’s exactly what we were looking for..active and fun but old enough that she loves to just hang out and nap as well. She’s leash trained, crate trained, excellent at fetch, shakes hands, and is very polite…an excellent addition to the family!!! She loves going out on the boat and just this last weekend while camping she discovered how much she loves swimming.

Third and latest change is that I also just got a new job. On July 6 I’ll be starting at Directworld Travel. They’re a hotel wholesaler and get lists of people/companies who will be exhibiting at conventions around the country. They then contact them to attempt to sell them their hotel rooms as opposed to booking online, through travel agencies, etc. It’s all outbound calling- which is not thrilling but…… it’s Mon-Fri, 7-3:30pm, no dress code (no more all black- yippee!!!), holidays off, closer to home and more $$. So, while not exactly what I’m looking for it is certainly a step in the right direction.  I’m still on the list for county jobs for the next 11 months plus am going to keep looking at other options but I am really excited about having a consistent schedule. I am really flexible in many areas of my life but I do really like knowing what time I go to work and come home each day and am THRILLED to not be on my feet on cement for 8 hrs every day!! No more sore feet, no more evenings, no more weekends and no more holidays. Fantastic! Having said that, however, I will truly miss the people at Dosha… I made many great friends and had a wonderful time working with them.

Other than the big changes in our life, things are going along as usual. We’ve been camping a few times already for the year and just returned this afternoon from Lake Billy Chinook in central Oregon and had a fantastic time as always. We’re still seriously sorry that we’re not still on the road and we don’t really think that feeling will go away. Our year away just changed us too much to be happy in one spot, working at  so-so jobs, etc. is just not what we want to do. However, we’re very happy because we have a great life together.. we’ve now worked it out so we’re back to spending more time together again, enjoying the lovely summer weather of Portland and playing with our new addition. Until we are financially ready to hit the road again we’ll just enjoy family & friends and be grateful for the life we have.

For our long 4th of July weekend we’re lazing about on Friday, spending Saturday afternoon-evening at Ron & Dario’s new house at a pool party, and Sunday at Steve’s 40th bday party..it should be a lovely, relaxing weekend around town. Other than that we’re really looking forward to summer weekends at the beach, camping, and the farmers markets.

Everyone have a safe & happy holiday and enjoy the lazy days of summer. Cheers Jim & Rhonda (still living the dream, just in a bit of a different way!!)



Tags:

One response to “Changes, Changes”

  1. Pennie says:

    So glad to read up on the what-abouts for you two! I check your site often, always hoping to hear good news. You must both be so thankful for the improved job situations…working such long hours and the weekend, holiday, nights thing is so difficult on people, especially in the summer when there are tons of fun things to do!

    Be well, enjoy your holiday, and save up for that next grand adventure.

    Pennie & Darrell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *