BootsnAll Travel Network



Wonderful Waterfalls

As you all know, I have a strange fascination with waterfalls. On my quest to travel the world and see all the best waterfalls, here’s my wishlist of the falls I want to see over the next couple of years of travelling (already seen Niagara and Victoria obviously!)…

Iguazu Falls, Argentina
Igauzu Falls
Situated right on the border between Argentina and Brazil, and separating two national parks, the mighty Iguazu Falls plummet 90 metres over horseshoe-shaped cliffs. Stretching for over a mile and a half, the falls are steeped in local legend. They were first seen by a European in 1541 and they’ve since had the honour of featuring in both James Bond and Indiana Jones films.

Virginia Falls, Canada
Virginia Falls
No more of hordes of tourists for me when I head to the remote Virginia Falls in the Nahanni National Park, situated in the Northwest Territories of Canada. With no road leading to the falls, the best way to get to them is by float-plane. Can’t wait for the spectacular views from the top, and apparently it’s also possible to walk down to the bottom if you don’t mind getting a bit splashed.

Angel Falls, Venezuela
Angel Falls
The world’s highest waterfall, and the inspiration for Arthur Conan Doyle’s ‘The Lost World’, the Angel Falls in Venezuela are a spectacular sight. The water plummets 979 metres into the so-called Devil’s Canyon – that’s just under one kilometre! It gets its name from American pilot Jimmy Angel, who crash-landed there in 1937 while on the hunt for gold. These days one can be as adventurous as one likes – whether flying over the falls by helicopter, trekking through the jungle to get to them, or canoeing up the river to get as close as possible.

Kaieteur Falls, Guyana
Kaieteur Falls
Not quite as high as the Angel Falls, but still five times the height of the Niagara Falls, Guyana’s Kaieteur Falls are a whopping 822ft high. In an impressive rainforest setting that’s almost entirely untouched by mankind, the rocks over which the Potaro River flows so dramatically are thought to be 2.99 billion years old – the oldest in the world. They’re reasonably difficult to get to – expect to take a plane from Georgetown – but I’m pretty sure they’ll be worth it.

Murchinson Falls, Uganda

Murchinson Falls
It’s the Nile, but not as you probably imagine it. This dramatic spot in the Murchinson Falls National Park in western Uganda has been created by a narrowing of the Rift Valley in such a way that a great volume of water is pushed through at once. Described by Lonely Planet as “the most spectacular feature of the Nile along its 6,700km length”, the Murchinson Falls are among the most powerful in the world. I’ll also be on the lookout for crocodiles, hippoes, chimpanzees and loads more.

This map of the world’s best waterfalls is pretty much what I’m working my way through, so thanks to the writer of this map for their inspiration. Will keep you posted on my progress!


Image credits

Iguazu Falls
Virginia Falls
Angel Falls
Kaieteur Falls
Murchinson Falls



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply