BootsnAll Travel Network



Look Mom I’m Blogging!

This will be my attempt at a “blog”, or a “web log”. Basically it will be a short journal of the places I am going to and a recount of the things I do while there. The purpose for me doing this is to include my family on my adventures through the United States and close neighbors while on the job. The job is as a first officer for a San Luis Obispo based jet charter, in the Citation Excel.

The job began on September 17th with a phone call from the chief pilot, while sifting through bruised tomatoes at Von’s. They needed a pilot quickly and I was on a plane the next day headed to Wichita Kansas for 2-1/2 weeks of Citation XLS initial Flight Training. (actually flight simulator training)

To this point all my flying had been in piston singles and light twin engine airplanes, relatively slow moving and noisy. The jet on the other hand is relatively fast moving and quiet (on the inside), which for me, who relied heavily on the sound the engines made to determine how things were going, was the first major difference. The next was the other pilot. The citation requires a two pilot crew to handle the more complex procedures and systems. Learning to take what I was used to and split it in half then give half away, was the second.

Flying can be very fun, very boring, and very scary, within the space of a few minutes. In the jet it can be a few seconds. Having a second pilot in the cockpit helps to put time between the second and third.

This blog will be hopefully about interesting events during the flying and subsequent traveling. Unfortunately many interesting events have already occurred that we’re never documented. My habit, ask Lukie, is to begin something and then get tired of it and start doing something else. Hopefully I can manage to keep this going for a while not just to share, but for my own memory, which sometimes tends to be misplaced.

So anyway here it is.



Tags:

Leave a Reply